1967 L88 Corvette> | Page 5 | FerrariChat

1967 L88 Corvette>

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by of2worlds, Sep 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    While Cudas are nice, I think they are not as significant as the L88's.

The blue car listed above may hit the 4 million mark if there is enough hype.

2. Ferraricorvette

Jul 14, 2014
    Per your post 10/13/2013, this sounds like a car I've been trying to track down. You said car went to Longmont TX... How might I get ahold of current owner?

3. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    The car went to Longmont Colorado to a guy who had a big garage full of vettes. He was a brick layer by trade but that is all I remember. I can look back and see if I can find anything. I know I have some pics of it when I owned it.

4. Ferraricorvette

Jul 14, 2014
    Could you please post any pics you have? If it looks like the car I can make some calls into Longmont Co and try to track it down... How many Brick layers in Longmont could have multiple Corvettes... Thanks

5. Ferraricorvette

Jul 14, 2014
    Can you post pics?

6. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    The car was out of a small town near St Joe, Missouri originally. I bought it from the original owner. The car had 12k miles, a 73 front end and an air brushed lady on the hood. War Bonnet Yellow with tan leather interior with every option except rear defogger.

I will look this weekend through my pics.

7. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Pics in Muscle Car Showroom

8. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    I like to know how this 1967 L88 red/red got a NCRS certifed on the stamp pad and engine if it wasnt the original motor in the corvette

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Hi just going on memory the owner Ray wanted the pad to remain blank and as a result the Corvette only scored NCRS Silver. Maybe someone with greater knowledge of NCRS judging can provide more details for you! The Corvette sold for about 500k in I believe 1993.

10. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    thanks for getting back . just wondering how he got those high judging points to get over 97% to get his Duntov award if he didnt have the original engine in the car

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Maybe a later owner had the motor stamped with TI or whatever the suffix was supposed to be. Then when the car is judged it is 'matching numbers' correct. That is all I can suggest though the NCRS guys are more knowledgeable regarding their judging standards. Anything can be faked at this late date so it is important to find a car with known history not just some 'paper'. There are half a dozen or more 1967 L88 Corvette which are missing today to...

12. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Saw this on CForum

"From the NCRS Judging Reference Manual:

A. Correct normally configured casting number and case configuration. If incorrect, deduct 350 points and do not judge or score casting date or stamp pad. (See note*)

B. If A is judged to be correct, judge for correctly configured casting date within six (6) months prior to car build date. If incorrect, deduct 175 points and do not judge or score stamp pad. (See note*)

C. If A & B are judged to be correct, judge for appropriate, normally configured engine plant stamping and engine assembly date or serial number and alpha prefix or suffix code which matches car as listed in the appropriate judging guide. (See note*)

The engine pad is assigned 50 originality points: 1953 through mid-1960, if engine plant stamping is judged incorrect, deduct 50 points. Mid-1960 & later if VIN derivative is judged incorrect, deduct 25 points; if engine assembly date suffix code is judged incorrect, deduct 25 points. (See note*)

Judge D regardless of scoring on C

D. Judge for absence of paint, dirt, rust or other condition which obscures engine pad and presence of normal factory production machining marks. If either is judged negatively, deduct 38 points. (See note*) *Note: Each of the above listed items must be scored as full credit or full deduction; no partial deductions are allowed.

This analysis allows for a six (6) month time span between cylinder case casting date, stamped engine assembly date and vehicle build date. This time frame allows for the exception rather than the rule as the average normal production time span has been found to usually be closer to two (2) to eight (8) weeks."

Lots of 351 cast number 427 4 bolt main restoration motors out there.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
  14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Tenney and 375+ like this.
  15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    There were only 20 total in 1967 weren't there Charles?

16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes 20 is recognized as the production total but many have gone missing over time. I think 11 of the 1967 L88 Corvettes are verified as part of those 20 Corvettes built.

375+ likes this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Thanks, of the 20 how many have their original engines? Are you going to Bloomington?

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I would have to check my notes but going on memory, only two 1967 L88 Corvettes have their born with motor. Even the famous 12 miles 1967 L88 coupe lost it's original motor early on.
    No Bloomington this year and it's 1969!!!

375+ likes this.