Lauda thinks Mercedes' rival cars are **** | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lauda thinks Mercedes' rival cars are ****

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Jul 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I assume Mercedes want to give Mclaren as little as they can get away with in their contract, for fear Honda will make use of it next season.

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    That looks reasonable, but if I were the owner of Force India I´d be pissed for not getting the same material than Williams.

Having said that, I don´t know what kind of deal Williams and Mercedes have. Apart from the obvious Wolff connection, maybe Williams is paying more than Force India or McLaren. Maybe it´s just that Williams owes so much money that Mercedes can´t let them fall.

3. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    Lauda has always talked like that, even when he was a young driver. Love him for it.

4. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    lmfao i really liked this comment.

5. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Me too, good one!

Niki forgot how bad mb sucked the last 4 years, they are kicking azz now but I have a feeling their reign will be short lived.....

6. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yep, I'm sure some honda engineers had access to the mb plant and took some notes on a post-it...

7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I disagree. Mercedes have done their homework and probably have a very good idea of where changes and improvements can be made. Much like Red Bull I expect them to be very competitive for a few years.

This is not a team that was looking for a 1-off type of result. The planning and execution thus far, coupled with more than ample resources should yield good results for a longer term.

Others have much work to do. Look at the gaps between Rosberg and the rest of the field. No one is in the same league. This track flattered the Williams heavily.

8. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    Loving the Lauda quotes, but he's been this way for his entire life for anyone that looks at the history. If I'm not mistaken Wolff owns 15% of Williams still? Is that another way to ensure Rosberg the WDC by keeping a Williams or two on the podium in between Nico and LewHam? Conspiracy theorists should have been all over this one.
    I for one have just enjoyed the racing!

9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I suppose that their idea was to put the Williams between the Mercedes and everybody else, but probably they didn´t expect so many reliability problems in their own cars.

As things are now, I see Williams finishing the season 2nd ahead of Red Bull in the constructors championship.

10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I *believe* you are mistaken - I'm pretty sure he sold it a while back.

How can that possibly be! :)

- F1 is dead.....
    - It's all fixed....
    - It's boring....
    - Blah, blah....

;)
    Cheers,
    Ian

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
  12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
  13. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    I am with you 100%.

Mercedes has forgot how many years they have struggled to get to the front line.
    They should know better than criticize others when they struggle.

14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Or they could be 2009 Brawn GP...we know how 2010 went....

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Frankly, I find Lauda's comments a bit disrespectful!

I'll give Red Bull their due - In all their years of domination, none of their team felt the need to belittle their rivals in the manner that Lauda has!

As I see it, these comments are the equivalent of someone like Ferrari or Red Bull declaring the Sauber, Marussia or Caterham to be s:censored:t cars! - Basically there's no need for it!

Still, the good thing is, one day Mercedes' reign at the top will come to an end, just as Ferrari's did and Red Bull's did, and these comments will come back to bite Lauda in the arse big time!

16. poyta

poyta Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Who's to say that Lauda wasn't critical of his own team back then too? As a result whipped them into the shape they are now? He has always been critical in the past - even of his own team when he was at Ferrari.

17. poyta

poyta Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Seriously? Have you not read some of the things that Helmut Marco has said over the years?

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    horner at red bull said he wouldnt issue team orders(critizing ferrari), ask webber about that.

19. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    More than a bit disrespectful.
    At his age, in his position and with his experience, he should be above petty comments like that: very disappointed of the man.
    Comments like that make me wonder if there is more to the story, like that he may have offered his services to some other team and was politely told his services were not needed.

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Sure, criticize your own team if you want (I'm sure Michael did just that many times behind closed doors) but saying your competitors cars are **** is way out of line.

OK Niki, your guys are kicking ass right now, well done. But, there's never any need or good to come from, as Phil says, belittling the efforts of others.

Another guy who's often been told by the peanut gallery to STFU!

In fact, seems both of these guys have pretty much 'indeterminate’ roles - they're both 'special advisers' to their bosses (Merc & Mr Mateschitz respectively) without any real role in the running of their teams.

Kind of the team clowns maybe?

Cheers,
    Ian

21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Trash talk is trash talk. You'd like to think that Niki is better than that.

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    What's puzzling is....This is Niki Lauda. He is known to give silly, baseless, and senile comments every once in a while. So what's the surprise here? :)

23. poyta

poyta Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    I don’t Lauda's comments were made because he felt like making a press announcement to say how good Merc is and how crap all the others are – no doubt it was an answer or statement extracted by a reporter or journalist in response to the criticism from teams like Ferrari who are making claims that the Mercs are too dominant and unbeatable.

24. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I think that Ross Brawn made the dirty work, Mercedes paid the big checks, and then Lauda and Wolff came at the last minute and reaped the benefits.

25. Killing Time

Killing Time Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If he did say those things, I find his candor refreshing.