Ford GT | FerrariChat

Ford GT

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Napolis, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    DEARBORN, Mich. March 1, 2004 - Final certification testing of the 2005 Ford GT's powertrain shows that the car's 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged V-8 is producing an average of 550 horsepower and 500 lb.-ft. of torque - 50 more horsepower than preliminary estimates.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yikes! Detroit is back with a vengance!

Jim, are you going to put in a deposit???

3. karc

karc Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    kick ass. now lets see that put in a mustang....

4. ecadwell

ecadwell Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Bend, OR
    Full Name:
    Eric Cadwell
    That is just awesome. I hope that Ford goes and cleans up in the marketplace, so that it inspires our Italian friends to up the ante on performance...

5. vanny

vanny Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    buffalo ny
    Full Name:
    van molenberg
    my name is at the top of the list at a ford dealership.everything that i read and heard from the dealership the car is just worth having to look at .vanny

6. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Agreed, the GT is really cool, a super legit competitor to the other mide engined sports cars available. I kinda want one!

7. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    I will be getting one in about a year or so....hard to decide if i want that or a 360 modena? I love em both

8. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    For me it isn't even a close call. Ford GT!

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Id take the Gt also.

10. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    550hp sounds accurate, if a little pessimistic. Those performance figures of the pre-production cars were clearly the work of a motor producing more than 500hp. It will be interesting to see what performance numbers the production cars can muster. If I was a better person, I would say that we can expect numbers slightly slower than the pre-production model testing.

11. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I have been having a slot for a litte over a year and when I called my Ford dealer to ask what the progress was and when I could expect my car this is what I was told. "We can no longer honor your request for this car at the MSRP, If you would like to buy it we are taking bids, right now the bidding is up to $240,000.00 if you would like to enter a bid for this car we would be more than happy to entertain it. I was pretty pissed so I called Ford and was told to check the web site. This is what was there.

Wade

Straight of Ford's website - can you believe it???

We hear that some dealers are already charging higher than sticker price for the vehicle. Does Ford encourage dealers to sell at any particular price?

Federal law requires manufacturers to provide an MSRP for every vehicle. Under dealer franchise agreements and state law, manufacturers cannot control the selling price of a vehicle. Dealers modify vehicle prices, either higher or lower than MSRP, based on market conditions and customer demands.Certainly, the new Ford GT is in high demand. The price a dealer gets reflects the value a customer finds in a vehicle and is willing to spend.

If you want specifics on what dealers can and cannot do in regards to price, you should contact the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA).

12. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Looks like the GT is going to be a real bruiser & give the rest of the automotive world something to really take seriously. If the engine in the GT is as stout and tunable as the engine in the Cobra and Lightning then it may not be unrealistic to see modded (well, rather heavily modded maybe) GT's with nearly 1000hp/tq. There are '03 Cobras out there with the Kenne Bell Blowzilla (erm, I think that's the name of it) supercharger putting out upwards of 600hp. with very few additional mods and low boost and the GT's engine has .4L more displacement to play with.

13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    308nut - but.. did you put down a deposit already? did you have a contract with them? a binding and legal document, even if it was written on a napkin?

I had a similar case, but it was for a much much smaller amount for a car years ago. The dealer finally told me, "look, we've got 14 deposits, and we only expect 7 cars to come in." I gave em the finger, demanded the money back + insurance, and months later, they finally coughed it up. But, that's a different story.

14. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i would assume 308nut did not put down a deposit. in fact, my understanding is that most ford dealers are not taking any sort of deposits - just making lists.

the engine is a tuned derivative of the lightning engine. how far have folks tuned those things?

doody.

15. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    People are nuts $240,000 just think what I could do with half that to my 308 and have a real sleeper.

16. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ford's not being entirely forthcoming about production numbers, but i don't see ANY way that they're going to be be able to command these sorts of prices. maybe the first couple cars to really price-insensitive "must have now" folks, but that's about it.

i've heard numbers as high as 220 per month and as low as 130 per month. and virtually all of production is destined for the US (100 units to euroland).

for comparison, less than 75 (maybe as few as 50) modenas per month hit all of North America.

and i maintain that as a publicly traded company, if this car is profitable they will be fiscally irresponsible to NOT keep producing it.

i'm supposedly at the top of my dealer's list, but (a) i'm not holding my breath about it and (b) there's NO way i'd pay over MSRP for this car - i do not see how it's going to hold value like the early speculators are betting.

my two shekels.

doody.

17. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Which would you prefer, this dealer stuff or "the list" wrt to getting a car?

Whatever you want to say about the seemingly arbitrary stuff behind "the list" at least it is aimed at a long term commercial dealer/customer/loyalty type relationship. Ford dealers don't really need to worry about this since they're not normally selling super cars...

18. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Put between a choice of a Ford GT or a 360 (of any type), I would choose the Ford, but what I'm really waiting to see is Ferraris response to the Ford GT... and I want one of THOSE!

19. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    This car is shaping up to be a "must have". Can't wait to see one in person. The first batch is going to go for big bucks no question, but I doubt that anyone who is paying 220+ for a GT has any delusions about it retaining any of the inflated value.

I'd never pay over MSRP. I'll wait a couple years and pick one up with nice incentives and 0% financing.;) That said, I'm sure there are more people than you would imagine willing to fork over 2,3, even 4 times retail to have the first one on their block.

20. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Actually in both the R & T and Motor Trend pieces, a stock Viper turned in identical times all the way up to 120MPH+ as the Ford GTs tested did.

Only the Car and Driver piece, featuring a specially prepared GT ringer making 600+HP, had dramatically faster acceleration times.

We're getting closer now to the truth, final GTs will be somewhere in-between the Car and Driver ringer's performance, and the previously tested cars by other magazines.

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, I guess that I can now tell the rest of the story... You see, there is group of us who are the "behind the curtain" Big-Men of F-Chat. Yep, Rob Lay is just our lackey. We just let him think that he is in charge. :)

And, behind the scenes, we have been plotting the takeover of all Ford GTs. (Remember General Doody, loose lips sink ships.) We have been using front men to place orders at every Ford dealership in the country and even a few Chevy dealers just to hedge our bets.

The results so far have been hilarious. One dealer said that we were number two on the list! (The dealer being number 1). He guaranteed us a car this year for a measly $300K. After recovering from rolling on the floor, we suggested that he go further down the list. (We actually suggested something else, but kids might be reading this.)

Next up, was a dealer who only wanted $225K! When we pointed out that sticker is $139.9, he brought up the Pebble Beach story were somebody paid over $500 large for the very first production model. When we pointed out that that deal was actually a charity auction, the dealer blew us off. Never mess with someone else's fantasy.

Getting serious, though. This is shaping up to be one bad ass car. Supercharged, eh? It has been a very long time since I have even seen a sugercharged car (in fact, it was back when hemis went into cars and not trucks), but as I recall there is no turbo lag, yes? Great Gwad Almighty!

Maybe we should start a poll as to when the first one will trade at sticker?

Take Care, DrTax

22. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Doody, I had a "promise" of a GT from a friend of mine who is a Ford Dealer.

That promise evaporated as demand has far exceeded supply. My friends dealership was not allocated a GT (most will not get one, although a "lottery" has been set up for dealer not on the inital list) Getting on a list of more than one or two individuals at anyone dealership is probably a waste of time. At Fords most recent dealer meeting, Ford committed to only 3,400 GT's to be built over an 16 month period. The lowest price my Ford dealer has been able to get from another dealer is $75,000 over MSRP. The GT will most certainly hold its value better than a 360 over the long haul, I hate to pay over MSRP, but it may prove to be the only way to get one.

I will certainly buy one if the opportunity presents itself, but remember, without a contract and a deposit, it is all mental masturbation!

23. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    MAKO99 --- where are you getting this data, exactly? the facts as i understand them is that nobody knows exactly what the journos are testing except FMC. where did you get this 600hp number from? i agree that the 3.3 C&D got was wacko compared to the 3.7 and 3.8 numbers bandied about before that. i seriously doubt the production car will do that.

CMPARRF40 --- my serious concern is that they'll keep producing beyond however many they say they'll produce. if it's profitable it's profitable. it can be a "halo car" for years to come if people are buying 'em. they'd be irresponsible to stop selling a profitable vehicle that has no cannibalization of their other products - it's a pure bottom line win. as a shareholder, i'd be rip-**** if they gave up what is effectively "free money" after all the R&D investment. i don't think they'll hold value 'cuz they're going to overproduce. my theory. MSRP with incentive financing by unit 1,000 in fact would be my guess.

i've also heard that production has been ramped way down from those early numbers to about 1,800-2,000 vehicles in 18 months. a far more realistic number, imo. though still it'll be tough to move that many $140K cars more or less in the US alone in that time frame.

doody.

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    True, but this is always the best kind. :)

25. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    IMHO 05 production will be 800 units. Everyone will be gone over with a fine tooth comb. They are shooting for zero defects. The production car has more that 550 HP. It will be faster than the C&D car. This motor will run all day at 700hp on race fuel. The Black car is a mule not a replica.
    As an aside the new Bug will be limited to 218mph. They are going to try and run it at Nardo at 250+ but it won't be sold in that form.
    The next version of the Ford GT will be as fast as an Enzo. As I pointed out last Aug. the front marker light and headlights will spell out "100" in honor of Ford's 100th, and the fender crease is an hommage to the P4 from the Ford GT's designer. (search old forum)