360cs exhaust noise | FerrariChat

360cs exhaust noise

Discussion in '360/430' started by RobScud, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobScud

RobScud Karting

Dec 29, 2010
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi, on my mates cs after about 1/2hr of driving the exhaust no longer appears to opens the valve over 4k to give the high pitched noise. It's happened twice now. Seems fine for first 1/2hr or so of driving.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I have not heard of this as an issue. You might check the controller that opens and closes it with vacuum. There is one on either side on the frame rail just above the exhaust outlet.

3. RobScud

RobScud Karting

Dec 29, 2010
    Full Name:
    Rob
    thanks, do u mean the solenoids?

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I'm sure that's what he's referring to, although I suppose being vacuum operated, they're technically not solenoids. Springs keep them open if no vacuum is applied (which is why removing and plugging the vacuum lines give you a louder sound all the time). The springs could be getting weak or getting stuck when the muffler warms up.

5. RobScud

RobScud Karting

Dec 29, 2010
    Full Name:
    Rob
    if one was failing would that still stop the high pitched noise?. are there any negative effects on plugging the vaccum hoses?

6. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Sometimes the spring mechanism gets sticky with carbon, dirt, etc. Clean them well and then use a good silicone spray to lubricate. The spray will quickly burn off, but helps to get them clean and lubricated initially.
    You should be able to move the valve easily with your fingers when the vacuum hose is removed.
    No ill effects to plugging the lines. Some people discuss the merits of some back pressure at lower RPM's for torque gains. The difference is negligible and you could never tell while driving in a NA engine.

7. RobScud

RobScud Karting

Dec 29, 2010
    Full Name:
    Rob
    thanks, will share that, how can he clean the spring mechanism, isn't it a sealed unit?

8. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    The vacuum valve is sealed, but the plunger and valve are not sealed. Blow compressed air in and around the valve, spray thoroughly with brake cleaner spray or WD 40. Blow it out again and repeat several times. I have done this on several Scuds and F430's and it fixed the issue. I would assume it is the same for the 360.

You could visually inspect the valve opening while revving the motor some. It should quickly open and close if working correctly.

9. RobScud

RobScud Karting

Dec 29, 2010
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thank you, how do u get access to the plunger/valve, do u disconnect the pipe and squirt wd40 through the hole?

10. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    https://vimeo.com/102470024

Do not spray anything into the vacuum line or port. You simply need to clean and lubricate the steel shaft that holds the butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe.

If it moves freely, then there is likely another issue, such as a defective vacuum valve or vacuum leak or vacuum controller relay.

11. RobScud

RobScud Karting

Dec 29, 2010
    Full Name:
    Rob
    excellent thanks, you mentioned silicone spray and WD40, which is best?

12. RobScud

RobScud Karting

Dec 29, 2010
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I read that plugging the lines can cause issues with the Cats, especially on warm up, is this true for 430 and 360's?

13. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Silicone or WD40....doesn't matter. Just something to temporarily lubricate and get the carbon junk out of the pivot points. It will burn off first time it gets hot anyways.

Lots of opinions have been written about plugging the vacuum lines. If you are a purist, leave then alone.

Otherwise feel free to open them up without worry.

It won't cause a CEL and it won't be a problem with your cats. Will it take longer for the cats to warm up and become effective at emissions? Probably.

Does it sound better with valves open all the time? Definitely.

If you want the best of both, install a Capristo remote so you can have factory control or valves open at the push of a button.

14. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Remote Control Exhaust Valve on a Stradale: http://youtu.be/kCxrd6nPu7k

Have a quick look at this.

Message me if you're interested in one - 1/4 the price of Capristo and does exactly the same.

15. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    The lines on my CS were plugged by my dealer at my request six years ago. I have had no problems at all since.

Love that sound!!

16. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Except it's loud all the time :)

17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Apply on a cold system, engine off - highly flammable

Others on F-chat have recommended Marvel Mystery Oil instead of WD40. They postulate that the WD40 contains wax that can leave deposits. They made a good case.

Silicone can damage a cat.... might consider a non silicon oil.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

18. RobScud

RobScud Karting

Dec 29, 2010
    Full Name:
    Rob
  19. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    That post seems to have a lot of confusion regarding the natural state of the valve (Normally open vs. Normally closed).

By disconnecting the vacuum lines to the valves on an F430, you will be causing the valves to be open at all RPMS. As long as you plug the vacuum lines that you took off, you will not have any CEL or any risk of engine damage.

I can see how keeping the valves always closed can cause a potential problem. In that case, you would be re-routing the gasses in the higher RPM which would be forced to go back into the muffler. Normally those gases would go right out the tips.

The post #27 in that original thread linked, does not sound to be from an educated technician. Just because these cars are Ferraris doesn't mean that their engines are made of glass. You see guys running straight pipes, muffler bypass pipes, catbypass pipes etc on all kinds of cars with no problems. You might lose some low end torque (hardly noticeable, if at all) by keeping those valves open, but you wont damage your engine.

Evan

20. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    My car came with a Capristo system installed with remote control valves. The original exhaust was also included separately. The Capristo gave me problems so I had my dealer, FoCJ, re-install the stock system. The head of service said it was not a problem to run the system with the valves open all the time, so I had him set it up that way. I've driven my car six years and 10,000 miles this way, including a few track days. Zero problems, no Check Engine Light.

21. RobScud

RobScud Karting

Dec 29, 2010
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Did he unplug from the valves and just seal them off, or disconnect the wiring?

22. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Both, I believe

23. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Have driven my Strad with remote control system on for over two years, which is effectively the same as having them wired open without any problem at all. Remote system saves having to remove the vacuum pipes and bunging them up.

24. RobScud

RobScud Karting

Dec 29, 2010
    Full Name:
    Rob

As most sports exhausts such as Capristo don't have valves, does that mean they cause a loss of some low end torque, and cause the cats to warm up slower?

25. RobScud

RobScud Karting

Dec 29, 2010
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Surely with the engine off, it should move freely as there is no vacuum until the car is started?