Latest Detailing products | FerrariChat

Latest Detailing products

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Doug_S, Aug 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #1 Doug_S, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    I prefer to detail my own car. (When I see pictures of professional's microfiber sitting on the garage floor I shudder).

Ten years ago when I got my 360 I was pretty happy with Zaino. Not too much work and results looked good to me. I used Leatherique for the interior.

Now I am reading about nanotech sealants, etc. and I wonder if it is time to change products for the 458? Does anyone have a recommendation or a good web site for reliable information.
    Also, when I used leatherique I naturally got some on the plastic and stainless parts. Now the interior is carbon fiber. Does anyone know if leatherique is harmful to carbon fiber.

MODERATOR: feel free top move to showroom and detailing forum. Guess I'll do some reading there first.

2. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  4. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    ^The Auto Geek and Autopia forums are great places to acquire some detailing knowledge.

Detailer's Domain is a good place to purchase products. http://www.detailersdomain.com/

Esoteric Auto Detailing also sells some of the coatings... my favorite is 22Ple.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    i have learned so much from those 2 forums, they're awesome
    some of the threads showing the entire paint correction process are absolutely amazing
    particularly when they do Ferrari's & the 'other' high end cars

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd only shudder if their garage floor wasn't cleaner than any surface of the car you brought in to be detailed...

At home, I can't even manage to transfer my clothes from the washing machine to the drier on a regular basis without one or more items falling on the floor...

7. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Autogeek and Autotopia are great sites with lots of wonderful information. I also have ordered from Detailed image.

8. Italian Stampede

Jul 10, 2014
    Swissvax is among the best, and is recommended by many high-end oems. Swissvax USA LLC

I have found that detailing products are like many other things in life, you get what you pay for.

I know that it is hard for people to think ahead this far, but long term use of cheaper products compared to the more expensive products really shows a difference. From paint to leather, you want to use the best for these nice cars!

9. martyb

martyb Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    South County
    Full Name:
    marty b
    I also used Zaino for years....

With a new C2s I a trying out Adams and it's good stuff

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have also used Zaino for some 12 years, but I just recently decided to step it up. I bought a Rupes polisher and I'm starting out with their line of polishes. We'll see how it goes.

I've started with my wife's car. The funny thing is she thinks it's because I'm putting her first. I didn't want to tell her it was because if I made any newbie mistakes I didn't want it to be on one of my cars!:D

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #11 PhilNotHill, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    Do not kid yourself. She loves you. That's the best news of all. ;)

And you should be putting her first cause you love her. And that's what it's all about anyway. You will be a hero.

Best

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    i just bought a Rupes myself.......but haven't had a chance to use it yet :)
    let us know how you like yours
    I was going to do my wife's car 1st as well :D

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes she does, I am a lucky guy!

I used my Rupes Duetto on my wife's car the other day. It was fairly easy to use and I was quite pleased with the results of the first pass to take out the scratches and other assorted marks and blemishes. I used the Rupes medium coarse polish and perhaps I should have gotten the heavier coarse version because I did have to make multiple passes on bad areas, but that may have been normal.

I was a little apprehensive to use a polisher because of horror stories about burning the paint. I think this is more an issue when using a rotary polisher. The DA polishers are pretty safe to use if you are careful. When I hit some heavily scratched areas, like under the door handles, I could take a few passes with pressure and then feel the spot and tell that it was getting slightly warm. So it was easy to know when to back off for a bit.

Unfortunately at the end of the first medium coarse polishing I re-aggravated an injury to my right elbow so now I am going to have to delay doing the fine polish. It's killing me because I am dying to get to my dd and then my 612. :(

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john

Thanks for the great write up. It's difficult to damage your paint with a good DA machine. Regular rotary buffer, be very,very careful.
    Sounds like you mastered the process. Now you need the right supplies.
    I'm going to use mine on my wife's new car and my new daily driver. Since I had the 'yellow car' professionally corrected, I don't need the heavy artillery for that car :)
    Get well soon so you can keep at it.

15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  16. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
  17. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Sounds interesting. There isn't much on the interwebs, or even on Autopia(!). Is it more like a detailer than a polish since you use it every wash?

18. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Correct. It's more of a "maintenance" product. Does a fantastic job of maintaining a waxed/polished finish. I use it EVERY time I wash any of my cars. All 3 of them are black and all 3 look like Steinways.

It's a product that can only be purchased from the website ~ no one else carries it. Get the sponges, too.

19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  20. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I like the idea of the product. I have a clear bra (rock protection film) on the front and I read that you should only use liquid waxes because paste will get under the edges of the film and be visible. The Tech Shine product videos show a paste like product applied with a sponge. Do you have any problem with clear film seams?

21. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    "Tech Shine is a highly specialized moisture activated cross-linking polymeric clear coat film"

Well it certainly has all the adjectives I need!

22. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I use Croftgate Project X for a detailing product. Great shine and seems to outlast the over the counter detailing products.

23. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    The liquid will collect as well. Just be patient and thorough when buffing out. Go along the seams with an mf cloth and you should be ok. I'm thinking about gel waxes now.

24. MarkTodd

MarkTodd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No Zymol users?

25. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Just tried a product called Aero Finale - (quick detailer) I'm very impressed with the results.