Route suggestions - Maranello - London | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Route suggestions - Maranello - London

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TizerDog, Jul 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jagmanv12

jagmanv12 Karting

Aug 25, 2010
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The Villa Ludwig hotel has secure underground parking and views of the castle from some of the room balconies. Details on their website.

2. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The problem with the Stelvio Pass is that everybody knows about it.

It is crowded, poorly surfaced and some of the hairpins are too tight to take if there's oncoming traffic (particularly going up on the Italian side).

In the summer you will find walkers, ramblers, cyclists, camper vans, caravans, cattle, coaches, even a local bus.

I have been a few times hoping that the next visit would be different, that it would be idyllic etc. But the truth is that each time I went it was worse than the time before.

If you really must go there for whatever reason, then the best time is soon after dawn when you can have a better chance of having the road to yourself. If you do go there then it's worth swinging by Livigno which is a tax free zone. Last time I was there petrol was about €1/litre. Not sure of the price right now.

In my honest and personal opinion it's not worth a special trip to go to Stelvio pass.

I'm sure people will jump in to say how wrong I am, but hey, it's my opinion based on personal experience.

3. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

You're not wrong it can be dogged by traffic, nonetheless a fantastic road with huge scenery and traffic. If you want a blast and enjoy the drive, you may be frustrated... but it is still "The Stelvio".

He's another one: L21 Stanzach to Bichlbach, Austria... simply wonderful. I found this one by accident, while looking for a pretty shortcut and it was the best drive on that holiday. Even with a hired Kia C'eed it was a hoot.
    Please don't tell anybody about this one... I don't want it full of traffic next time I go back!
    NOTE: there are a couple of dustbin style cameras placed right at the end of the village speed limit (i.e. well beyond the last house), so make sure you respect the pit lane limit!

If you want to make up a loop, the L246/L266 Imst back west to Elmen will get you back to where you started. The L266 is pretty good, but the L21 is better. I found Mercedes testing five new pre-production S-class up there, all decked out in stealth camouflage and strangely followed by a BMW 7 series.

David

4. TizerDog

TizerDog Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Thanks all for the heads up on the potential congestion on the Stelvio pass.

I feel myself leaning towards a quieter road that I can appreciate rather than one I may spend most of the time looking up at the arse end of a shed (aka caravan for those not familiar with the term).

TD

5. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Just wondered if there's an update on this? Have you taken delivery and what route did you pick?

6. TizerDog

TizerDog Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Not taken delivery - expected mid October now, but frankly who knows!

Reluctantly abandoned my plans for the trip as getting too late in the year, and it adds weeks to the delivery time (bizarrely!)

However, the suggestions here are now on my list for next years drive to Italy - just in reverse!

7. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    They took a long August shutdown vacation I guess;) Let us know when it's in and show some pics. Enjoy in good health.

Best

8. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Hello mate

How's the delivery of your car coming along? I apologize if I seem impatient, but I can't wait to see your F12 in Fuoco. Start a thread in the F12 forum when you're about to get her home.

Best