2014 458 Spider trade in value | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2014 458 Spider trade in value

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by letsplay99, Jul 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Not a single call to test drive. Got a few calls from second hand dealers wanting to buy really cheep for a flip. Buyer was from out of state and bought without even seeing the car. All he asked for was an inspection from the dealer which he paid for ($500) and once it was completed he wired the money and set up transport. Asside from me having to take the car in for an inspection it only took about a hour of my time. Real buyers won't likely ask for test drives as they have likely already looked at the dealers and understand most of us who order cars do so without seeing or driving the finished product.

2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    OP hasn't chimed back in, but I am pretty sure he meant $20-25k USD under MSRP. Most, if not all, Spiders are still "asking" over MSRP. But...I suspect actual transactions are starting to happen at/near MSRP or many cars are sitting unsold at MSRP+.

Why would anyone think otherwise at this point in their evolution/time on the market?

The dealers need to be in these for $20-$25k under MSRP to ensure they make a decent profit on the ultimate resale. There is nothing interesting or surprising here.

OP - if it were me and I had the time and didn't mind the "hassle", I'd try to sell it "retail" for a brief period of time AT MSRP and see what you get...I suspect wholesale is - as the dealer told you - something like $20-25k under MSRP...so that is your fallback if you can't retail it....wholesale is only going to crept downward in coming months...

3. letsplay99

letsplay99 Karting

Mar 28, 2013
    yes 20-25K under MSRP is what the dealer is offering but the surprising part is that I want to trade in for a california and the dealer wants to make money on the cali T plus another 20K on the spider since even the dealer acknowledges that he will probably sell mine for msrp. I told the dealer, I would take 10k under msrp and the dealer didnt want to do it. Shows how smart the dealer is since the Cali T does not have any wait lists here and is a mass volume car so instead of making (30k on new caliT sale + 10K on spider sale presumably if he bought mine and sold for msrp, dealer is not going to make anything since I will likely sell mine via consignment and take my business to another dealer).....

4. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    #29 RCorsa, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    You loose nothing putting it on the market yourself. A lot of people (real buyers) search DuPont. I've bought and sold 3 cars that way in the last 5 years. I just did a search for your model year and found 19 cars available with prices from 389 (!!!!) to 329. Thus selling yours for 305 would gain a lot of attention as the cheapest on DuPont. That's exactly what I did with my last exotic and it sold in a week to a guy(non dealer) in the Midwest. Btw what is your color combo. Now that I think about it maybe I'll buy it and sell my 14 italia.

5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

To be honest, what you said about your dealers decision doesn't surprise me in the least. In the US anyways, they can sell the Cali to another customer with ease. And, buying and reselling a $300k car and making only a gross profit (before any dealer related costs like commissions, insurance, interest, etc) of $10,000 simply isn't worthy the time. And that's not to mention the "risk" that they can't sell it for MSRP...dealers are usually into a used car for 80-90% of what they think they can sell it for. IMHO even that 10%-20% gross profit is pretty thin and again has to account for the "risk" of inventory and ultimate sale price being lower than expected.

6. Tampa458

Tampa458 Karting

Aug 9, 2014
    Florida
    Did you sell it or still have it? If you still have it, can you post pics and specs of your Spider? Thx

7. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well I lost 30K in a year on my 08 Scud.....so coming into a new 13 Coupe I planed on 25K the first year and a little less each successive year depending on the mileage....

8. letsplay99

letsplay99 Karting

Mar 28, 2013
    not sold yet but have some interest just from this thread. Going to put on dupont in another week, here it is if anyone is interested:

2014 458 Spider
    Corsa Red / Black interior
    yellow brake calipers
    red colored safety belts
    electrically operated seats
    horse stitched on headrest
    ipod connection
    carb fib steering wheel + LEDS
    Scuderia Ferrari Shields
    parking camera
    front and rear parking sensors
    piping in color (red)
    20 sport forged diamond rims
    leather headliner
    Antenna sdars
    Hi Fi sound
    Navigation
    rear parking camera
    yellow rev counter
    special red stitching

9. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Great speck. I predict quick sale within a week at MSRP

10. Sharif

Sharif Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Sharif
    I'm not sure if it was mentioned before...

Don't forget about the tax credit you may benefit from if you trade the car in on the new one from the dealer.

At 280-300k it may be worthwhile to trade it and get the credit. Even if you trade it for less than you may sell it for.

Check it out before selling it. Good luck