Sport switch question | FerrariChat

Sport switch question

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by DPA360, Aug 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DPA360

DPA360 Karting

Jul 16, 2007
    #1 DPA360, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When I re did my switches with sticky no more I lost the spring in my sport switch and the sport mode would no longer work when i went to turn it on. I took apart the switch myself so it was my fault not sticky no more fault just to clarify. I ordered a new sport switch from dealer for a 550 but part # on switch is different than my original switch. My original # is 171071. The new one is 180684 apparently for a 550 as well. Does anyone know if there are different switches for different years. My car is a 99.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  3. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Did not look that deeply. My fault. Must be getting lazy. Cannot see that it would make any difference, but who knows?

5. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Mine is 99 too and I did those switches myself by marking one by one and I do not recall any spring issue on any of those. Are you sure you did not connect to the wrong terminal.

6. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    He pulled the switch apart and either lost the spring inside, or did not put it back together properly. It's a real PITA to put back together. Ask me how I know :)

7. Bertt

Bertt Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Is there a spring in the SPORT switch?

There are two different switches:
    Type A - these surely have a spring and therefore return to its original position (the switches for the boot release and the fuel lid release for instance)
    Type B - switches that have two positions (like for sure the one for the front fog lights).

I cannot check immediately myself on my car if the SPORT switch is of type A or B, but if it is type B I suspect these do not have a spring?

Cheers,
    Bert

8. Mon the fish

Mon the fish Karting

Dec 27, 2013
    My sport switch is type b as above, it must have a spring in it as it won't sit in the centre, it very much clicks into sport

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    They all have a spring, its devilishly small and strong, when it pops out into the twilight zone you'll never find it unless it happened to end up in your eye!

I've probably taken apart 20 of those switches, every one for a 550 and all the dash switches for a 575.

Another thing, the parts are not interchangeable, there are three different toggles and the internal circuit boards are all different.

Its not a job for the faint of heart.

10. Mon the fish

Mon the fish Karting

Dec 27, 2013
    ^^^ Why does none of that surprise me!

11. DPA360

DPA360 Karting

Jul 16, 2007
    Pretty sure it's all connected properly, I think the spring is not in right. Going to try and mess with it a little more. It must be finicky like the rest of this car;)

12. DPA360

DPA360 Karting

Jul 16, 2007
    Yup I lost spring, I found another to put back in switch but still not working. The sport light lights up when I press it but will not stay lite until I let it go. Have to hold switch down the whole time while driving to stay in sport mode! Lol

F456M likes this.
  13. Joe Sommer

Joe Sommer Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Hey everyone,

I just received my 360 major service kit today from Ricambi (great service from them, fast delivery, and even got a cool free hat!). Aside from getting the maintenance service done next by my indy, I am in need of a replacement SPORT switch for my 360 spider. It seems they are no longer available ANYWHERE.

Does anyone have any advice or preferably a lead where I can buy a new one? The original switch in the car keeps clicking off seconds after I release it.

Thanks,

Joe
    2003 360 Spider (Grigio Alloy) manual 6 speed

14. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter