How Hot Does Your 456/550 Run? (Revisited) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How Hot Does Your 456/550 Run? (Revisited)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by mcypert, May 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Either that or it was a job security move to generate work and parts sales... take your pick, both are realistic and both have merit.

From what I have learned from our conversations on the subject, a whole new path and procedure will now be required.

I think I posted pictures of the F40 radiator I had to cut apart and repair some time back.... shocking what can be found lurking in there!

2. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    Welcome back Dave.....Regards...Mark

3. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    #53 mcypert, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thought I’d provide an update on further mods to the 456 GT cooling and, this should apply to any of our vehicles.

John Cribb did some research on an alternative thermostat; Stant 13648 (sometimes marketed as a 180F stat, it’s stamped 174F, but check for the 174F stamp as the boxes may vary). Thanks John....

First pic is John’s measurements of the Stant 13648 vs the Ferrari 183758. (I added the black line under his blue to show where I measure the bypass 100% closed.)

Second Pic is the Ferrari 226484 (a European 87C variety), Stant 13648 in a 456 housing and the original 183758 (79C), in that order. I’ll post this on John’s interchangeable parts page too….

Anyway, as John’s data shows and I can confirm from use, the $18 Stant works fine, in fact, I’d say better than the originals, especially in warmer climes.

I’m down to about 25% antifreeze and 75% water w/ NoRosion. On a Texas highway at 80 mph this summer, I’d see about 180F on the coolant temp with the Stant. Slow down to below 40 mph and it goes up to 190+. Dead stopped, there’s little change in max regardless of which stat is used. All max’d out at about 210F, with the second cooling fan cutting in and out to keep the temp from going any higher. Third pic is an old one but gives some idea of max. Oil temp also goes down a lot at speed.

This is with A/C keeping the cabin nice, dry and cool; hot, humid summer days in Texas….

Speaking of humidity, the work required to get that water out of the air generates a lot of heat. I note, for example, the almost steady stream of condensate pouring from under my car on a humid day. IIRC, an automobile a/c has about a 2 ton capacity. That can turn about 500 gal's of water (a hot tub) into ice in 24 hours or about 170 pounds of ice every hour. Think, if you could put an 8 pound bag of ice in front of your rad every 3 minutes! Probably run pretty cool, No? Well, that's how much cooling capacity we're losing in Houston to the A/C. This may explain why places that are hotter than Houston don’t experience higher coolant temps than here….. Tucson or Phoenix, for example….. (Pulled into a hotel once there at midnight….it was 102F!)

Conclusions? The cheap stat works fine/better, airflow over the Rad is probably the most influential part of cooling, duh?, followed by the A/C, and increasing the water ratio helps too.

Regards…. Mark in Houston
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Mark, thanks for posting this up; I'd completely forgotten about it!

By way of background Mark was thinking one day about the possible effects of erosion/corrosion on the bypass port seating surface for the thermostat. That, and what the effects would be if the thermostat didn't seal well at the bypass port?

The answer was obvious, if leakage at the bypass port is allowed to occur at very high running temps when the thermostat is "supposed" to be fully open, you'll have a hotter running engine.

Since Mark & I both have hot running V12's here in Houston, we were excited that we might have found a possible cause/contributor to our problem.

So I began a search for an alternate thermostat that:

1. Had the same form & fitment as the OEM 'stat

2. One which began opening the radiator port, and closed off the bypass slightly earlier than the OEM

3. One which had a slightly longer "stroke" on the bypass disc to ensure better sealing of the bypass port

The Stant 13648 specifications indicated that it had all the above qualities, so I picked up a test sample and physically checked its opening temp, bypass closure temp, and stroke, then I informed Mark of the results so he could try one in his car. Based on the results he's provided below, it looks like we might have a winner. My only concern with using these is that they're made in China, while the OEM 'stats are German, IIRC. Indeed, most "pros" feel that Stant, who used to have a great reputation for high quality products, now only sells junk that is built in the far East.

It'll be interesting to see/hear Mark's results with this 'stat after more long term use.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- How has your modified shroud improved cooling? Plus the 575 pulley and impeller?

I see what you mean about the extra load on the AC from the humidity, but that should be offset by the better heat absorption of humid air passing through the radiator.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Is there a cross reference to another supplier Stant number made not in Asia?

7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Taz, unfortunately my 550 is still up on jackstands. Haven't had any time at all to devote to it lately. We recently purchased a fixer-upper home in Montana, 4 miles out of Yellowstone's northeast entrance, so have diverted a lot of time & resources to it.

Carl, I don't know and haven't had the time to research it. Stant provided a LOT of useful, detailed engineering data in their catalog, and I don't have this level of detail from the other manufacturers.

8. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I was just there on an annual fishing trip. One day a few of us need to meet there for a fishing trip.

9. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    Terry:

One would think so, but the contribution to cooling from humid air is negligible.

Easiest way I can sort it out in my brain is to think of the absurd situation. If water or mercury were flowing over the rad what would happen? Heat transfer would go way up! Thus, if there's more water in the air, heat transfer also goes up. I haven't run any numbers (like somebody did below), but apparently the amount of water in the air is so small that the effect of humidity is negligible.

"Example - Enthalpy Difference Heating Air

The specific humidity of air at 25*C and relative moisture 50% is 0.0115 kg/kg - The change in enthalpy when heating the air to 35*C can be calculated as:

dhA-B = (1.01 kJ/kg*C)(35*C - 25*C) + (0.0115 kg/kg) (1.84 kJ/kg*C) (35*C - 25*C)

= (10.1 kJ/kg) + (0.2 kJ/kg)

= 10.3 (kJ/kg)

Note! The contribution from the water vapor is relatively small and for practical purposes it may often be neglected and can then be modified to:

dhA-B = cpa( tB - tA) "

"Under standard conditions (25*C, 1atm), the density of air is about 1.168kg/m3.
    Hence 1kg of air would have a volume of:
    1.168kg/m3 divided by 1kg = 0.8562m3"

So we're talking 13 grams of water per cubic meter of air in the example above for relatively (to us) dry air. In the example above, the effect of 50% humidity adds only about 2% to the heat carrying capacity of dry air.

On the other hand, it's the phase change from vapor to liquid that takes so much energy and generates so much heat. (As you might guess, John and I looked at this......)

FBB:

IIRC, that Stant also has an application in certain VW Jetta V-6's, so there may be a German counterpart. Can't really comment on the quality of the Made in China Stant, but looked okay to me. Suspect Ferrari's use of German parts has as much to do with EU content and taxes as quality. I've noticed our Jaguar has most electrics made in Portugal and Spain! Don't you know those are top notch....well, maybe compared to GB electrics....

Regards....

10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The problem I had was getting the thermostat to open. I was generating air in the system under hard driving or at fairly long freeway stretches. As soon as the speed dropped to slow traffic speeds the needle went up near the red, and in one case well into the red.

The air was keeping the thermostat from opening. I've proved this to myself numerous times by very careful bleeding when very hot. Whenever I bleed it cold there was no air, only coolant so I know air bubbles were being generated, probably by the impeller, hopefully not by combustion gases.

After the installation of a steam vent line I never see above 170F, even under the worst conditions. At normal freeway speeds in ambient up into the 90s the needle stays between 120 and 190 on the gauge, so about 150 F.

11. Martin Meade

Martin Meade Karting
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2004
    B'ham, WA
    Full Name:
    Martin Meade
    One thing I'd be curious to know from you guys is how long it takes to go from dead cold to the fan coming on at idle. I'll time mine and post. I'm guessing under three minutes for mine. This is how it was when I bought it and the same after I rebuilt the heads. Wondering if I have a big air pocket trapped in there.

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #62 fatbillybob, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    I know John has your modification. Did he also have your problem? Can you tell me how to make this problem. I took my silver 550 out on track during a corporate event and drove people around up to about 150mph in 20 minute stretches about 7/10ths and never had a problem. It looks to be sold so I'm not driving it until sold. I have the other red 550 never put that car to the test. How long a freeway stretch and at what RPM? I would like to see if I can duplicate your failure conditions.

oh does ambient temp have anything to do with it? In socal it is only about 80

13. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #63 ferraridriver, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    Carl, On the track it overheated in 2 laps on a hot day. By this I mean the needle was 3/4 of the way up. I bleed it, refilled, drove home, about 3 hours. After 1 1/2 hours of freeway driving I ran into stop & go traffic. The gauge went into the red immediately.

Later on I drove down to Santa Barbara, no problem until I hit town and traffic lights. Gauge went up but not into the red.

This was a recurring thing until the steam vent line, now I have no more over temps, in fact it runs almost too cool. I have given it rigorous tests over the last two years, no more problems plus it makes filing the system a breeze.

Its really nothing more than what all other cars have, a line from the highest point on the engine (thermostat housing) to the header tank in an uphill run. (Air bubbles hate going downhill in water ;))

Call it a self bleeding line teed into the other bleed line, all going to a high point on the header tank.

I have one kit made up including modified header tank, modified stat housing, all fittings and clamps, everything except hoses. The cost of some of the fittings was exorbitant so we only bought three of those. We never planed on selling these because of costs we couldn't control.

Oh yeah, sorry, I've tested it in ambient temps over 90f

If anyone is interested in the one remaining kit PM me.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- Your math is sound and the amount of water in the air is correct. With our IR systems, acquistion was really degraded once you got to 20 gms/m3 and I once launched an IR Maverick at 25 gms/m3, which was the all time high for absolute humidity on an AGM-65D launch. Florida, naturally. Target, a running tank, slowly swam out of the background even though it was very hot. That kind of humidity, which you see in Houston, would only about double the 2% you calculated.

15. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    This is from the old thread 8/19/2012 and is all I had done.

The car has been running fine on the hottest of days both in L.A. and Vegas.

Never did put in the new fans.

(Hi Bill read the F-chat threads, we are using "No-Rosion" in your car with Bottled drinking water.and 1 liter of anti-freeze )
    Regards
    Eric

cheers,

Bill

16. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Dave's car & mine had/have somewhat different cooling issues; obviously he was getting air entrained in his system from "somewhere" and his steam vent line sorted that and works superbly to help eliminate air pockets. Although my car didn't exhibit the same symptoms as his, I installed his vent line anyway, because it's plainly an improved design for the venting of the system. As expected, it didn't help with my issues, but I'm glad I have it.

Mark & I have/had more similar issues, and as he detailed below, we think it can be chalked up to the hellish summer environment here in Houston and our overworked A/C condensers. Bill (wblink) is in a similar situation when he goes to Las Vegas, however his humidity is greatly reduced from our environment, so his A/C condenser isn't dumping quite as much heat into his radiator as ours do.

So after chasing these overheating gremlins 10 different ways from Sunday and having come up basically dry, we discovered one modification which produced a noticeable and measurable improvement. This was the elimination of the 50/50 premixed coolant, and replacing it with only the bare minimum of antifreeze, and filling the remainder of the system with reverse osmosis purified drinking water, along with the recommended amount of a well known corrosion inhibitor. This had an immediate and very positive effect on our top tank temperatures and is finally keeping our cooling systems out of that dangerous "thermal runaway" situation where the cooling system can't get rid of enough heat being dumped into it by the engine to keep both the top & bottom tank temperatures from rising.

For myself, while the change in coolant has relieved the situation somewhat, my longterm goal is to be able to sit in Houston's gridlocked traffic on a 110 degree day without having the car overheat, which is still impossible with the existing cooling system, even with the improved heat transfer provided by the change in coolant.

To achieve this, the next upgrades I'll implement in the future are a new, higher capacity radiator (I've had both a new 2 pass conventional, and a 3 pass custom unit fabricated), plus a set of SPAL's latest variable speed, brushless motor fans, mounted in a full coverage shroud. It's my sincere hope that these upgrades will finally banish these cooling gremlins completely.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Is your 550 back up and running, or are you still completing the top end job?

18. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm like bill but run both 550s with just water and some antifreeze. 550 #1, On race track no problems doing HPDE DOT-R tires and running it 6/10ths 20 min sessions. I wanted passengers to have a thrill not be scared. On 550 #2, I just tried to duplicate Dave's failure after 1 hr hard running then immediately off freeway stop and just idle with A/C running and no problems stationary for 5 mins. My guess is ambient is about 80*F so pretty cool summer in SoCal. I think I need longer heat soak and higher ambient temps. When I have time I will take a trip to the Valley they get 100*F up there.

19. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Taz, nope it's still up on jackstands with the heads off. There are 3 cylinders that are still giving me dodgy leakdown numbers without the heads, and it bummed me out, so I pulled off the project for awhile. I'm going to get stuck back into it this weekend and begin the task of pulling the short block and will go into it to see how the pistons & rings look.

Based on Josh's PPI back in 2010, we knew the engine had leakage, so I negotiated a purchase price for the car that was in keeping with the leakdown/compression numbers, and figured I'd sort it out in the future. When I found the worn & out of spec valve guides in the heads last year I was hopeful those were the cause of the dodgy leakdown measurements, and in some cylinders they were, but in these last three cylinders, it appears the problem is down in the block. Always something, eh?

20. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    Martin, I think under 3 minutes for mine too. With the A/c on, about 20 seconds.... Also, I have two 8" fans on the condenser that I run all the time in the summer...

And, just to clarify, I've never seen higher than about 215F with the original system. With mods is down to about 208F in the worst conditions...I think also, this is the first time I've seen it stay at 180F at cruising speeds in the summer...used to be 190+...

Regards... Mark

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Unlucky. Hopefully you will find something simple like a broken ring or three.

22. Alalawi

Alalawi Rookie

May 30, 2013
    Glass view for Ferrari 456m