Lugguge Fitting in Trunk | FerrariChat

Lugguge Fitting in Trunk

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hawaii1, Aug 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hawaii1

hawaii1 Karting

Oct 29, 2005
    Does anyone of you 458 owners know what is the maximum lugguge size that will fit in 458's trunk? Will a lugguge size 28"x"19"x12" fit in the front trunk? I would really appreciate it, if you can please confirm the size of the trunk by measuring it. Thanks!

2. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I got two slightly smaller cases (26"x17x11) in my trunk. I'm not sure if yours will fit but it might and if one fits, you might find you can get a second on top if not overfilled.

3. hawaii1

hawaii1 Karting

Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks for your response. I have read that 458 trunk capacity is 8.1 cubic ft., but that detail is very vague on exact trunk dimensions. I know Ferrari have custom luggages specifically designed to fit in their trunks. What is the orientation on placing 2 bags in your trunk? Is it 17"+ 17" side by side? That makes it 34" horizontally in total, more than 11" height, and 26" vertically, correct? I will be picking up 458 to travel around and wanted to know, if my luggage will fit in the trunk to avoid embarrassing issues with luggage size not fitting in the trunk.

4. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #4 mhh, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My suitcases fitted lying flat. One on top of the other. There's no other way they would fit both. I was amazed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. hawaii1

hawaii1 Karting

Oct 29, 2005
    Wow! That's very impressive and amazing how much trunk space is in 458! I was worried it will be much smaller and tighter. I never thought it would be that big compared to 360's and 430's at 8.8 cubic ft. I guess my slightly larger luggage should still fit in at an angular position from the looks in your photos. Your time to post pictures with your luggage is very helpful and I really appreciate you very much! Thank you Mark for posting! Hope you enjoy your beauty beast!

6. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1JdTa6vCQE[/ame]

Skip to 00:25

:p

7. hawaii1

hawaii1 Karting

Oct 29, 2005
    Interesting video. I am surprised it even fits a human body in there too! ;-) Man I wouldn't slam the trunk down hard like how that guy did it. Thanks for the link!

8. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    They filmed that about a mile or two from my house, I'm surprised he could go the speeds he did there.

9. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Nicely done vid.

Onno

10. aalterkait

aalterkait Karting

Sep 4, 2010
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Abdulrahman AlTerkait
    For me I can barely put a grocery store bag, since the spare tire wheel takes all the space. So either you put 1 grocery bag below and and other one above loool.

11. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    is the bonnet space the same in the speciale as 458?

thanks

12. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    It is smaller in the Speciale than the regular 458 because of the front vent.

The base of the trunk space, on the floor, is 20 inches wide, and 23.5 inches front to back.

That 20 and 23.5 inches remains till about 8 inches off the floor where the width widens out but the top tapers in. The top opening level from the front edge front to back is about 18 inches.

13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #13 PhilNotHill, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    Video.

I do NOT want to put a Russian in my trunk. :D

BTW: I believe the Cali came out before the 458 and had no manual transmission option. Also, Car and Driver says the 458 can go 0-60 in 3.0 secs (launch control) and 210 mph top speed. There is a video in is forum where a 458 is cruising on the Autobahn at 336 km/h = 208 mph.

Best

14. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    Thanks Whoopsy,

Im trying to figure how much hiking stuff we can carry across the South Island or whether we will need the macan turbo as a chase car.

see you on rennteam!

cheers watt

15. sssstew

sssstew Rookie

Jun 19, 2014
    Thanks mhh for the photos, this shows this perfectly as i was worried about this.

16. Tom458

Tom458 Rookie

Jan 19, 2015
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hi Mhh,

Would appreciate if you know the make of the suitcases... Mine are 26.5 H and just won't fit with the wheels!! i can't find a suitable replacement... Response appreciated. Failing that will have to take a hammer to the wheels...

Thanks in advance

17. 2tall4economy

2tall4economy Karting

Oct 26, 2014
    Western Suburbs of Chicago (for now)
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Somewhat unrelated, but: I used to be a road (air?) warrior and it took a long time for me to make the change, but I use a Red Oxx carry on (wheel-less) and couldn't be happier. I really thought I needed the wheels to survive the airport hassle but I actually have less hassle from carrying the bag via a tom bihn shoulder strap vs wheeling everywhere.

More room too when you don't have to sacrifice for the handle and wheels.

18. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I can fit two cases of wine in mine!

19. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I'm keeping my Aperta in NZ for driving holidays and got zero information from the factory or the dealer regarding sizes of luggage and the compartment. I've had my front trunk 3D scanned and also the area behind the seats and will do my own custom luggage. Happy to give you an idea of sizes that will work once that's completed in the next couple of weeks. I'm driving don to Queenstown and back via both coasts for 3-4 weeks from late November to mid-December.

20. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Awesome! Did Christchurch to Queenstown in February (and back)! Not wide roads but beautiful nonetheless! And relatively empty!

To do it in a spider would be heaven! Good luck!

SV

21. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Plenty of pastries and cakes in mine during my Sunday carb outings :D

22. QLD458

QLD458 Rookie

Oct 12, 2016
    Looking though this thread i can't find the exact dimensions of the 458 trunk, i.e. the width, length of the trunk at its base and internal height. The images of the suitcases posted is helpful as a minimum size that it can take, but interested if a 458 can take a little larger hence seeking help with the exact dimensions if anyone has them to hand or has a few minutes to measure for me. Issue is my 458 is on a transporter across Australia to the national rally in Perth and we have left our suitcases at the beach house so need to see what other suitcases we have may fit. I tried the local dealership but they don't have one on the floor to measure. your help appreciated. Cheers

23. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    My wife had a mini Cooper a few years ago, and we put 20 cases (long story) of wine in it :) Has to be some kind of record :-j

24. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Wow! I stand in awe of you!!

Not only because of the volume, but also due to the weight. When I lived in Germany I out 6 cases of wine and 4 adults in my A80 and had problems with the suspension.

25. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    We are still amazed at how much stuff we put in a mini. We have a Toyota Land Cruiser now, and we swear we could pack more in our mini Cooper :)