Ermmm, anyone know a solid Carmel-based traffic lawyer? | FerrariChat

Ermmm, anyone know a solid Carmel-based traffic lawyer?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by freshmeat, Aug 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I ran into hell-bent LE this past weekend during car week.

I want to fight the citation. It's an issue of principles.

Anyone who was there knows, there was a crazy amount of traffic in the afternoon. I was following the flow of traffic (a Kia and a minivan immediately ahead) at well under the posted speed limits along the 17mile drive trying to get back to Ocean Ave.

Citing officers wrote me up for "Exhibition of speed".

Initially, they claimed I was doing the double posted speed limit which is bullocks because well there was a Kia and minivan ahead of me.

Then they said I broke my tires loose, which I didn't.

Then they said they heard my turbos spool up...which I don't have any.

Last straw came when the officer called me derogatory things like,

"Junior"

"Shut up you asian punk. Get back inside your car before I have it crushed."

"You shouldn't be showboating in other people's cars junior" etc etc.

I need help. I will not stomach this sitting down.

Yes, for those who know my scuderia, i understand i am already on a slippery slope given the cacophony of noise (symphony-to-me) it makes out of the rear end, even in 1st gear.

I am stunned LE can just conjure up a violation out of absolutely nothing...write me up for noise levels or something legitimate but "exhibition of speed"???????

Any help is deeply and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    A

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    If only you had a digital video recorder installed in your car to capture that.

3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

A,

Sorry to hear it! This was local PD (PB or Carmel)? Not sheriff?

May be a time to record conversations with your phone... These are trying stops for everyone. Carmel PD seemed to be especially on the prowl from what I could see...

Getting someone local sounds best as the context and history might be better understood by a local attorney. Sorry I can't help in that regard.

Good luck!

SV

4. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Did you have any witnesses?

5. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    while too late, it would have been best at that moment, let him do what he needs to, then demand his shift supervisor or patrol captain be present. If he refused get his badge number, etc and immediately call shift/patrol and lodge a complaint.

6. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    This is terrible! No way should you let this so called "servent of the public" get away with this!!
    I use Mr Ticket, worked well in the past.

I too got a ticket, mine was Chp in Santa Cruz on the way down to Monterey, get this, I got a ticket for going 70 in a 65!! Things is I wasn't even going 70!! I was below 65, says he had me on radar but could not produce the read out, I'll be fighting the one too, principal more than anything else, this is just plain harrasment....

7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Does my passenger count?

I will remember that, thank you.

8. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I have heard good things about Mr. Ticket on the Smoking Tire podcast.

9. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Mr. Ticket has worked well for me.

10. 308gts79

308gts79 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2007
    San Francisco/Hong K
    Sorry to hear about it...

11. ndnbill

ndnbill Karting

Mar 3, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    William
    sorry to hear about that as well. Mine was a little different. I drove my 550 over the first week of August from LV and between then and the 12th drove it 5-6 times. I drove it home today and waiting in the mailbox was a notice from CA CHP dated Aug 12, telling me that need to provide proof that I am not a resident, register the car in CA, or face criminal charges. Truly bizarre. I am sure it will work out, but how in God's name could this happen?

12. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Look at your ticket. Was it VC 23109? https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc23109.htm Hard to believe that you could be convicted of engaging in a speed contest in a traffic jam. But due to the potential consequences, I'd lawyer up. Definitely a good idea to find a local attorney who knows the ins and outs of the local courthouse. As much as you might like your day in court, you are your own worst enemy in the courtroom. It's rare that you can emerge from traffic court satisfied. You will not force an apology from the officer for his rude treatment if that's what you are hoping for. That's why hiring a lawyer is such a good idea. You don't have to testify and incriminate yourself, which you will invariably do. Your lawyer can question the arresting officer (if he even shows up) and with your help get the officer to reveal the truth...or make this quietly go away without even going to court. Sorry, I don't know any good traffic ticket lawyers in Monterey County.

13. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Welcome to the PRK, comrade! We want your tax dollars. If you have a NV drivers license, you have no problem. Unfortunately, several CA resident exotic car owners register their cars out of state to avoid high taxes or smog regulations. You were suspected of one or both. Hard to believe that they would be strictly enforcing this in a tourist town during a high car-oriented tourist period, though. Look at the bright side. At least you didn't return home to find a ticket for exhibition of speed.

14. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    lol.

Yes, my citation was for 23109. Exhibition of speed. Misdemeanor!

Well if it was a speed contest, then the minivan and kia whooped my arse because they were in front the entire time.

15. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know a guy. Best traffic attorney in the bay area. When he's not representing clients, he actually sits on the bench as an alternate superior traffic court judge. I once passed a cop going 160 feet per second on the freeway (I know, dumb, many many years ago) and he got me off with a $500 fine, no points. I could have went to jail.
    Way expensive but worth it.

16. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
  17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Shoot me his info, thank you!

It just makes my blood boil I will be spending so much of my money while they have zero accountability or cares.

18. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    i would also file a complaint with the PD. what he said just isn't right and he should be reprimanded

19. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Formula 3

Jul 9, 2013
    Carmel Highlands
    Full Name:
    Dan Kyle
    What speed were you written up for?

I believe all of PB is 25 MPH

Sorry I see above they claimed double the speed limit, 50 MPH, is that correct?

20. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Dear "FreshMeat",

Yes, without a doubt, you are another unwilling customer of the "jack-booted" police all in the name of looting your pocket for their revenue coffers.

For sure, fight it and plead not guilty. There is a pretty good website describing, with case law, how the person beat speeding tickets in California, without a BAR attorney.

View and study this website: How I beat a Speeding Ticket in California Superior Court of Appeals (Without A Lawyer)

I think you will find the information from the above linked website will be very beneficial to you and others entrapped in state's traffic "rules" for vehicle operation.

Cheers & In Good Health

21. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    There was no speed written on the citation.

The cops were fishing for things from me and I denied every one, one of them being "going double the posted speed limit". We were all well under it, traffic was insane in the afternoon...I felt bad for my old-tech single clutch.

22. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Wow, as fast as we test drive cars all week, I'm glad I don't see that many LEO's on the roads. Did see an Audi pulled over during a test drive on Saturday afternoon though.

23. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Not in Kalifeloney it isn't. When a DUI checkpoint also doubles as a CARB/DOT inspection center, things like this in Kalifeloney are not difficult at all to believe.
    Ticket in the mail over out-of-state plates???? That is the law enforcement equivalent of "slamming".

I motion to move Concorso, Pebble and the auctions out of Kalifeloney, to another state that offers a friendlier climate to visitors and water supply to drink.

24. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    The events can easily move to Laguna Seca, where there are plenty of parking and no cops. But that won't happen because it would jam up 68 for the residents that own LS track.

I am going to drive my daily next year. Easier to find parking and much more concealed.

25. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Leadership of the events should interface with local law enforcement and share that there are unhappy folks who have been ticketed for nonsense. When word gets out, and thoughts of the event moving elsewhere, are considered hopefully will lead to some reconsideration of how much revenue is going to be lost via empty hotels and restaurants and a multitude of other generators as a result of the event via added revenue made thru a few tix. I will be the first to admit that some may deserve tix but not any of those I've heard about thus far. Frankly, I elected to stay away this year as I expected law enforcement chicanery and didn't want any part of it. Take this event to the Wine Country!!!