Wife possibly hooked on Mondial | FerrariChat

Wife possibly hooked on Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Ronbo, Aug 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ronbo

Ronbo Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Morris County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron
    We are looking to replace my wifes's 2003 M-B SL500. She wants a toy, not a daily driver (although the SL handled both roles). She has always been partial to the look of the Mondial. If she likes the car enough to buy it she'd be willing to learn how to shift.

So, what's the real story about reliability and cost of ownership? Am I right to look for a t rather than an earlier model? I understand the major is engine out, but apart from that is it unusually expensive to own? Can it be a reliable car if well maintained? Any land mines?

For reference, I used to own a '98 456 that was very reliable and not particularly expensive to keep running smoothly.

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    My wife has a Mondial t which she lets me drive. She grew up in Italy so driving a stick is natural for her. Automatics are frowned upon.

Here is the thing, the power steering is a real plus in the t. I'm not saying women don't appreciate manual steering (my wife loved her Renault 5) but as a rule chicks don't like working up a sweat parking their cars. :) Grey area I know.

The convertible top is a pain in the assssssssss. I don't mind operating it but my wife pretty much only drives the t in nice weather with the top down.

Also, she loves the Ferrari but doesn't totally trust it. She won't drive it alone at night or when I am away.

However, when the weather is nice she loves taking her Red Ferrari to work.

The Mondial is a special car for special occasions.

Dave

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    A Ferrari is an expensive way to learn how to use a stick shift, especially a t (about $2500 for a clutch kit alone). May I suggest an expendable beater first?

4. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I now have nearly double the cost of the car in repair bills in just 3 years and 7k miles. :eek: L@L ... but i still love the car. I cant explain it. There's reason why my bills are so high and if you stick around, you'll learn why. But, it wasnt the car's fault, like most abominations, its the hand of man that caused it.

The car itself, serviced properly, is a real joy to own. My experience is very unusual but Oddly enough, i would buy another, its that good. Enjoy the ride.

5. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Ditto

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    A valeo would be the one for her. No clutch, just the stick.
    Personnally after having owned a 87 3.2, I would buy another one anytime if I was in the market for another car. And a Valeo T if possible to find one.

Wait for Hank's answer ;-)

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #7 hank sound, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    :):) hi folks - - - My Valeo equipped Rachel, has been virtually trouble free over the 10 years that she's been in my family. She is the car that Rachel Hunter and Rod Stewart took their kids to school in.

This coming weekend, I'll be taking all the kids at my grandson's 3rd birthday party, for rides. Let's see .. that would be one in the front - - - and two in the back !!!! How cool is that ???

Whatever you drive - - be safe and be happy/.

Cheers, Hank
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    buy a car that has service records although this is not always reliable

for a 3.2

simple belt change is in car and around $1500 and less (I wont argue interval)
    oil change figure $300 less every 5000miles if use synthetic
    major service around $5000 30K miles or 10 years
    its a 25 year old car so if your are handy and with this site you can do alot of "service" yourself....otherwise its a car

my wife drives ours with a wicked grin on her face!

For T cant comment

Power steering is plus for women
    Hank can give you the scoop we have the same guy

9. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Let her drive a stick and an automatic and see how she feels about them.

I advise against taking you wife to some place where there are 550s. While visiting our Mondial while it was in the shop, there was a beautiful 550 there. My wife's comment, "I could drive this."

I told her it was a stick shift.

"Piece of cake, I drove dune buggies over the dunes at Pismo Beach, this thing would be easy to drive." She said.

It'll cost $80K.

"You could die tomorrow, plus all it means is the kids get less inheritance."

My advice, move fast, get the Mondial, when you take it to shop leave the wife home.

ceb39

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #10 soucorp, Aug 20, 2014
    Nicely done Hank, I like the new look on Rachel...

C h e e r i o :)

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    for me being the hillbilly I are having the qv mondial is the only Ferrari I should own.with common hand tools,a little patience and some mechanical ability timing belts,tensioners,water pump can all be done easily and inexpensively.the clutch was a little more difficult requiring a special socket and the manufacture of a puller but still very easy to do.I believe I could do both again in an 8 hour day with a nice lunch break.instructions with very good illustrations are in the archives here.good luck

12. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Wow, Rachel is Hot, I like the painted mirrors and spoiler. Is Rachel lowered?

13. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    look closely Mike forgot to circle the lower sills

14. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Yep I agree save money if you can tinker yourself!

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I see it now, looks fantastic ! Wow Hank, you've got the version. I might copy ;)

16. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Drive both t and a 3.2/QV with her and see which she likes better. If you keep the front tires inflated well the steering isn't a big deal on the early cars.

Oh, and get a Miata or old Fiat to learn stick driving. Then, switch to the Ferrari.

It's a 25-30YO Italian sports car, so that should clear up questions about reliability. The big ticket items like engine, trans, brakes usually don't have a lot of problems, but all the ancillary systems like windows, top, cooling, AC/heat, gauges will require some TLC regularly. Most of this stuff can be DIY if you are handy, but it is time consuming. The gotchas for the Mondial specifically are the top operation, rear window operation, AC, and TRX wheels on the early cars.

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful Car Hank!!!

18. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    #18 WilyB, Aug 24, 2014
    My wife driving our then new Mondial from Pozzi back to home. She was happy about the power steering compared to our previous 3.2l.

19. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Ditto on all especially my bride's grin…(-*

20. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ditto again what Valenzo said!!

21. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #21 hank sound, Aug 25, 2014
    Ditto again? --------- yeah, I'll gladly ride that horse. And with 3 additional seats, a family of four can join the party !!

Cheers, Hank