Why not make an almost affordable sports car | FerrariChat

Why not make an almost affordable sports car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by raf456, Aug 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    Ferrari should drop its marketing effort to be "exclusive" only and instead go head to head with the Jaguar F, Porsche, and Corvette Sting Ray. The FXX program was the most extreme example of this "exclusive" marketing strategy - what did it do for most of us? Why not make a small displacement V8 with screaming revs, turbo, 6 speed manual and a few options for those who want an F1 tranny, ceramic breaks, high-end sound etc. Make it small, light, and so much fun to drive. Make it a mid engine car that harkens back to the mid engine cars of the 80s with the style that we lost after the 355. The California is too heavy, too big, and too expensive for an entry level model. Also make the damn thing rock solid and reliable because your going to sell a boat load of them.

Just my thoughts as I drive my 89 Mondial T and wish Ferrari made a new car that was competitive with my wife's Porsche Boxster.
    Bob

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Alfa Romeo

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You could get your own Boxster. Apart from the badge, it's exactly what you're asking for. The news ones are beautiful cars (finally).

There is no substitute.

4. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Simple reason why they don't. They have X manufacturing capability. And no more. And they have X +x% demand. So they maximize profit by building X number of expensive cars.

Making an affordable sports car would only hurt their bottom line...

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The exclusive approach makes them big money. An affordable Ferrari is an older (but not TOO old) one.

6. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This, too.

7. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    #7 mikelfrance, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Cost? about 65 grand
    0-60 time? 4.3 sec
    Exotic? CF tub, TCT gearbox, mid engine
    Exclusivity? about 1500 pcs per year for the US
    Weight? (US) about 2500 lbs
    Beautiful? Definitely
    $1800 badges? NO

It's not a Ferrari. It's a modern day Dino. Ferrari today wants to build Ferrari's. And, you can't blame them. They sell every car they can make. Why argue with success?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    If you thought your mondial t would be a hard sale at best when time came , if an affordable fcar came out you might as well use your mondial as a daily driver and add a hitch to it.

The used car ferrari market is already affordable and can compete. For 100k as a ftype you can easily get a 550 , or a 360 , and a damn good Testarossa. All BETTER than any boxter, or ftype.

9. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    That's why they launched DINO ... then it became the V8 Berlinettas family and so on ...

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    ^And, civillians can't tell the difference between an new Ferrari and a 10 year old Ferrari, but the car aficionados love all Ferrari's, mostly.

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob

12. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    I don't think Ferrari could ever compete against Porsche or even Chevrolet at the 50k price point. Give the Corvette team 50k and they'll give you a crude version of a super car. Give the Ferrari team 50k and you'll get half of an engine and three wheels.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Why on earth would Ferrari want to dilute their brand with a cheap sports car? If you had hand bags that you made and each and every one you could make sold for $50,000.. why would you want to make a handbag to sell in Target or Walmart? All that can result is dilution of your brand, which short term increases profits for 3 years but in 10 years results in your brand being a second tier. No way.

The same problem occurs in reverse when a cheap brand like Corvette tries to make a $250,000 car. Or like Porsche and its 918. Not all sell. Sure you get a few buyers.. but you can't convince your customer that your "affordable brand" is worthy of that price, even if the seats are hand stitched and the pope blesses it.

14. rrobert222

rrobert222 Karting

Aug 31, 2005
    That market is saturated, why dilute the brand and make a sub - ferrari ferrari?

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ferrari is going the entirely opposite direction. Everything has ticked up about $100k.

16. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I can see both sides of this argument. I too wish Ferrari built a 2,700 pound car with a 375 HP V-6, manual trans, & very little of the BS that interferes with the car-driver interface. Price it at about $135,000, & I'm in.
    OTOH, as stated, they sell all their cars anyway, so why bother? Here's the problem: if you really look at where their highest profits (income vs. expenditure) come from, it's ...MERCHANDISING!! So following the "profit is god" logic, then why build cars at all? Turn Maranello into a theme park, sell t-shirts, model cars and tote bags, franchise out the Cavallino restaurant and save a ton of money on needless things like engineers, craftsmen (and craftswomen), etc!
    I say this with tongue about 80 percent in cheek ...

17. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Two words, Alfa 4C!!!

18. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I think you just described the F355. Luckily its even less then $135,000 even if you figure in maintenance and repairs it's still a bargain.

19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You just described a 355 (minus the turbos). Just go buy one if that's what you want, that's what I did.

20. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Like the Volkswagen Phaeton.

I am not in favor of Ferrari building an "entry level" sports car.

21. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ferrari is not an entry level brand.

The Mondial was expensive when new.

22. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    I expected a lot of responses like this, but a 1980s car is not a new car and an Alpha 4C is not a Ferrari. I know that it is all about the money and Ferrari's strategy is making lots of it. Enzo made cars for people who loved stylish and fast cars. He also made racing history and a little money. I miss those days.

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nothing is a ferrari but a ferrari. Ferrari has never been more accessible or affordable as they are today. You want ferrari to be something else, just like the op who wants to not drive them as engineered. Wanting a low cost bulletproof ferrari to still have a ferrari badge on it is futile. Inside a year, the brand wouldn't be the same and you wouldn't want it anymore. Stop being glass half full and accept the world for what it is and find your place in it. Not directed at you specifically, just in general to all who want ferrari to be Chevrolet or Nissan but still have a ferrari badge.

24. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I like the OP's thought on this -- but for me, make it a (simple) modern, mid-engine longitudinal 5~6L V8 with a manual trans and decent air conditioning only (you know, a modern Pantera that doesn't overheat and has decent AC ;) -- I don't need KERS, I don't need a touch screen, I don't need an overly complex magneto-blah-blah damping system...)

25. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree. Before the '90s, Ferrari's were ultra-exclusive, and in the '60s apparently you had to have connections to get one. Now you can pick up the phone and own an F430 in the very low $100Ks and the V12s have depreciated even more relative to sticker price. (And we're talking about cars with maybe 1,000 miles/year of use...)

If anything, a Ferrari is more attainable now than ever.

This kind of goes back to the flappy paddle thread: should Ferrari compromise performance for the sake of simplicity? (And no one needs a touch screen in a sports car, or carbon fibre dash trim -- question is around techology that improves acceleration/handling/stopping.)