355 spider leaks | FerrariChat

355 spider leaks

Discussion in '348/355' started by drjeeva, Dec 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drjeeva

drjeeva Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Ipoh, Perak, Malaysi
    Full Name:
    Jeevaraj Nadarajah
    I bought a red 1996 F355 spider in immaculate condition. It's only done 19,000/km and runs great. It has a Challenge grill and a Tubi exhaust installed. Now comes the snag...it leaks along the side of the spider roofline into the driver & passenger compartments during moderate/heavy rain. Of course I wouldnt take her out during rain but the other day I was caught literally with the roof down and when I had it raised it leaked along the sides!!!! Will changing the door rubber seals solve the problem?

2. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Have a 1997 355 spider and a 1994 348 spider. The 348 leaks a bit. Don't know about the 355 as of yet! Both owners manuals state it is normal for the cars to leak! Only Ferrari would actually make such a statement!

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

My 348 ts leaks like an old wooden sailing ship.

Carry towels in the car, and don't drive in the rain. :(

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Changing the seals might not help because they aren't shaped to properly fill the gap. I had to take black marine silicon (in a hand-squeezed tube) to "shape" the door/window-side rubber such that there was no longer an open hole to the outside on each side of my 348 spider.

After that, no leaks...and I drive it in the rain.

NOTE: the tops of the windows are fine, don't add sealer up there because the convertible top laps over the windows already to provide a little ledge. Just do the side-rubber where it is supposed to meet the side of the windows.

5. bob-in-toon

bob-in-toon Karting

Aug 12, 2007
    Newcastle
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My 348 used to leak fairly badly around the tops of the windows. However I tightened up the roof by adjusting the clamps where the roof meets the top of the windscreen which has stretched it a bit tighter and since then its been a lot better

6. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Duh... There is a really simple fix for that. Don't drive it in the rain. Mine doesn't leak at all.....

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Gaskets do compress with age. New may or may not help. My car used to leak a bit at the A pillars. I noticed there is a drain hole that runs down the A pillar gasket. I purchased some rigid plastic tubing in about 1/4" diameter and pushed it down the hole. It swelled the gasket enough that it fits tightly now.

8. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I drove my 1997 355 spider in the rain a few times and it did not leak at all.... :)!

9. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    My 98 spider doesn't leak either when its out in the rain. However, it has not been in a downpour.

Theo

10. drjeeva

drjeeva Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Ipoh, Perak, Malaysi
    Full Name:
    Jeevaraj Nadarajah
    Well it's kinda reassuring to hear that quite a number of you guys have leaky spiders. I waited for months before a spider came along and I've never regretted the decision on choosing it over the berlinettas and targas. I guess if I do get caught in a downpour its towels for me!!

11. wraith0513

wraith0513 Rookie

Dec 1, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    TTC VI (Tom)
    Do the owner's manuals really state that leaks are expected, from a brand new car????

In the process of searching for a 348 spyder, and aware of many of the potential foibles, but that just astounds me... :)

12. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You can adjust the window stops inside the door if there is a gap at the top, Scott

13. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    From the F355 spider owner's manual:
    Caution

The loads and the strains-varying depending on the car utilization-can determine small variations in the door positioning in the soft top framework.

Due to the above reasons, the sealing, due to water or air infiltrations from the windows, cannot be guaranteed in all utilization conditions.

It's clear that small infiltrations in some areas can be considered normal.

The car shouldn't be washed in automatic washing systems, as these could damage the cloth or the plexiglass( rear window) due to brush rubbing.

The high pressure of the jets can also cause some infiltrations that wouldn't be found in standard utilization conditions.

14. RED HEAD

RED HEAD Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    H
    Mine has leaked when I have been caught in heavy rain. Quite normal I think

15. kurby69

kurby69 Rookie

Sep 3, 2011
    Jackson, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks! I'll try that, mine leaks up top. Even though I don't drive in the rain I notice the leaks when I wash the car..

16. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Mine leaks too...

17. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Mine does not leak at all.

And I have driven in a couple times in a torrential PNW downpour! :)

18. jhfields

jhfields Karting

Jun 2, 2010
    paducah ky.
    Full Name:
    John H Fields
    i have a 94 348 spyder and have got caught in a hale storm no leakes and no dents (amazing)

19. 355azul

355azul Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Austria
    In 2010 a few drops came in ... but in the meantime I got my roof checked and serviced. But not for leaking, just for typical 355 Spider roof issues
    :/
    Got into heavy rain last week - even with some hail in it (I was so !"§$!"§) - but that was no problem at all.
    The biggest water leak was the door when I had to open it.

20. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Karting

Oct 3, 2012
    Dublin, ohio
    Full Name:
    George Gianakopoulos
    Caught in downpour and drivers side carpet is soaked. I've dried it best I can with towels and have a fan blowing on it. I figure on leaving the fan on for hours if not a couple days. Ohio very humid this time of year. Any other suggestions to thoroughly dry it?

21. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    WOW I have not had my roof up since last time it rained, 2 years ago

When I fist got the car I dont remember any real leaks

Don't forget to condition the canvas to deal out water

:)

22. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I had the same issue - getting caught in moderate/heavy rain, water coming in from the forward window/roof line.

Taking a tip from Wheeler Dealers (Aston DB7 fix), I slid some thin vacuum line down into the door gasket. It's been a year & I haven't been caught in heavy rain yet, but light rain & car washing and it seems to hold up.

23. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mine leaks when there is a 50% chance of rain...it's a super low mileage pristine example of a 355 spider...is what it is. I never take it out in the rain, mainly bc it kills the point, but have been caught in a storm...not good.