2014 F1 SHELL BELGIAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 18 | FerrariChat

2014 F1 SHELL BELGIAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Luca is laughing today

"And-a now-a you know-a why we 'av-a team orders!"

2. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    +1 fantastic job by Daniel. He is a breath of fresh air.

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Agreed I think Kimi will continue to do better. As i said when they first became teammates, I think Alonso will have the upper hand but Kimi will have plenty of weekends where he comes out ahead. He is too good of a driver to think otherwise

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    One of the (British) F1 journos said that whilst Hamilton was moaning on the radio asking to retire the car (the first time he did it), Schumacher would be figuring out how he could win this race/salvage points.

And he's right.

5. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    In fairness to Hamilton, he's seemed to have done an admirable job salvaging points from bad outings this season (he's had a few). If the car sucks ass due to damage and you're already down an engine, I can understand him wanting to save the engine so that he's not caught out at season's end.

6. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    Didnt Lewis refuse team orders to let Nico by at Hungary? Might that have lit the fuse for today? .....

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I agree, but he started moaning quite early on. Anything could've happened, a SC or rain both wouldn't be out of the question.

Can you imagine him parking it and a lap later the SC comes out? He would likely have been well into the points.

8. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    And Hami tried to run Nico off of the track in the closing lap at Hungry

9. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  10. iamthesimpleone

iamthesimpleone Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Ben
    An opportunity to force Lewis to give up the racing line that was his? Leading driver has right to the line. He had successfully defended it. Therefore, nico's only move was to force the driver to avoid a collision? Wreaks of desperation to me.

11. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Closing the door on a pass is not running someone off the track. The leading driver is not obligated to let the trailing driver pass. Nico did the same to LH at the start of the Canadian GP.

Technically, they just made their cars "wide" on the race line. As long as their block is a single move, the leading driver has the right to defend their position. The rule changes once they are side-by-side, then it's anyone's game.

12. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Personally, I think Rosberg and Raikkonen had great races but my driver of the day would be Ricciardo. I also think that Lewis would recognize the move from Rosberg as being one that he hasnt been afraid to do many times over the years. If Lewis did a bit less whining about the car, teammates and everything else I would actually quite like him.

13. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    If you don't take away the podium at Melbourne, Ricciardo would only be 20 points behind Hamilton and a more serious threat. If Red Bull does their low wing setup in Monza, they're going to threaten Mercedes in a big way and completely knock out Ferrari. Williams might be up in that fight also.

14. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Oh and Magnussen gets a time penalty.

McLaren’s Kevin Magnussen has been handed a 20-second post-race time penalty by the stewards in Belgium for forcing Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso off the road during the closing stages of Sunday’s Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps.

The incident occurred on the penultimate lap of the 44-lap contest as Magnussen, trying to defend fifth place from Alonso on the approach to Les Combes, edged the Spaniard onto the grass.

The stewards immediately announced an investigation and, having heard from both drivers and examined video evidence, determined that Magnussen was at fault.

“The driver of car 20 [Magnussen] was defending his position on the straight between turns 4 and 5,” read the official stewards report. “A significant portion of car 14 [Alonso] was alongside car 20. The driver of car 20 did not leave enough space for car 14 and forced the car off the track.”

The penalty drops Magnussen from sixth to 12th place, denying the Dane his best finish since the season-opener in Australia and lifting Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg into the final points-scoring position of tenth

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh I think Dan can win this without being dirty ..... while those idiots in the silver HOS fight each other , Dan is quickly coming into the picture and the body language in the green rooms after the race are very telling, Rosberg use to stroll in like he was some sort of demi-god and now he is listening to Dan and others .... the times they are a-changing Niccy boy

16. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #441 bobzdar, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    Rosberg had to do it. In every battle with Hamilton so far, he's been the one to leave room and Hamilton doesn't. This time he didn't back out and of course Hamilton kept driving like he was the only one on the track.

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    One's an optimist , the other a whinging pom :p

18. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    So I guess no foul today for Magnussen with his Alonzo block move...

19. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Exactly right, the leading driver does have a right to the line, and Lewis had to make a choice, either keep where he was because he was allowed to and hope Nico backs off, or take the gamble that the car won't break if he doesn't back off, I can see the situation going both ways. Watch just about any documentary about Senna. Prost and many others have stated Senna was famous for doing that very thing, often. Schumacher famously talked about Senna's extremely compromising tactics when Schu was first racing with him, that's probably where Schu learned it

20. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Dan is currently my favorite driver out there, he's just fantastic and he has a great attitude. I'm really warming up to Vettel too, he is very good to Dan and his success.

21. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You guys are a crack up.

22. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    People don't read much..

Repost from 439

McLaren’s Kevin Magnussen has been handed a 20-second post-race time penalty by the stewards in Belgium for forcing Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso off the road during the closing stages of Sunday’s Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps.

The incident occurred on the penultimate lap of the 44-lap contest as Magnussen, trying to defend fifth place from Alonso on the approach to Les Combes, edged the Spaniard onto the grass.

The stewards immediately announced an investigation and, having heard from both drivers and examined video evidence, determined that Magnussen was at fault.

“The driver of car 20 [Magnussen] was defending his position on the straight between turns 4 and 5,” read the official stewards report. “A significant portion of car 14 [Alonso] was alongside car 20. The driver of car 20 did not leave enough space for car 14 and forced the car off the track.”

The penalty drops Magnussen from sixth to 12th place, denying the Dane his best finish since the season-opener in Australia and lifting Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg into the final points-scoring position of tent

23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Say whaaaat? Canada? Monaco? Certainly not the string of malfunction races. I think Nico has raced Lewis as tough as likewise..

24. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hambone whining on the radio says it all for me, the guy doesn't have the mentality and nico knows it. All nico did was put himself in position, he let hambone do his usual thing and assume that no one would dare to challenge him, and for once, hambone came off worst. After that, hambone was too busy moaning to concentrate on maximising his postion, and nico just needed to get points. I hope he continues to grab them till the end of the season, as I hate the prospect of hambone winning a championship again

25. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Rosberg saying only one or two were booing him in the crowd. Cracked me up. I can only imagine how the team feel post race....rule #1 is 'don't crash with your teammate'. Both drivers will face the rebuke.