Comments on "Ferrari Sightings" | FerrariChat

Comments on "Ferrari Sightings"

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Bob Zambelli, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I have been following the thread with great interest and I've become puzzeled with the lack of mention of ALFA Romeo (For the record, I do not recall seeing any ALFAs.)

ALFA Romeo is without a doubt one of the most significant if not the most significant of all Italian motorcars.

In the early years of racing, ALFA was always a top finisher, having won the Mille Miglia 11 times and the Targa Florio 10 times.

Sig Ferrari got his racing start with ALFA - the first cars in the Scuderia Ferrari were ALFAs.

The ALFA road and race cars of the 20s through 60s were, in my opinion, some of the most beautiful cars ever produced.

Fangio campaigned his 1.5 liter tipo 159 Alfetta against Ferrari, Maserati and Mercedes and quite often won first place in Grand Prix racing. Many other drivers, like Nuvolari, brought home the gold with ALFAs.

I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few ALFAs on the road but they are rarely mentioned.

The next time I see one, I will be sure to post it in the "Sightings" thread.

Bob Z.

2. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I love Alfa's...always have, but there are many car makers that had impacts. Ford, for example. First car produced in US...GT40 history vs. Ferrari. But in Ferrari Sightings, I don't think "I just saw an F150 on I95" would stir any real interest. Granted, this is an exaggeration but it's Ferrari Sightings after all. Just sayin'...just my opinion. But opinions are like...well, you know.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    There's a guy at our C+C down here, Lou, who drives his 164 every week here. Cool car, but its boxiness has an unremarkable coolness about it.

I had a good friend in college who unfortunately was addicted to Alfetta GT's. He LOVEd the car and was always fixing it. I had a 924 and he had his GTV (and a Golf as a DD). It was an interesting comparison. His dream car BTW was a 164 at the time!

Alfa's are cool cars..don't get me wrong.. but they don't "stir the soul" the way that Ferrari's do. I might glance at one and think "Oh, cool." But in the next second I'm going to be wondering if I feel like chicken or salmon for dinner..

FYI I could also care less about Lotus or McLaren sightings in Charlotte...

4. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I'm not sure what the car scene is like down in Manning, but in my time in Raleigh and Charlotte, I don't think I've seen more than two Alfa's on the road in my life. (Both were early '90's sedans.) I report every rare car I see on the roads, but it's kinda hard to post Alfa's when you never see them : )

5. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I knew a couple Alfa owners down in GA but have yet to see one here in NC yet.

PDG

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I saw a red Alfa spider in Durham Saturday evening...

7. nitsud

nitsud Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Dustin
  8. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think it depends on the Alfa. Unlike Ferrari or Lamborghini, Alfa has made models that cover a wide range from every day common to very exotic. I would hope someone would report seeing an 8C but a mid 80's Spider may not evoke the same passion. Just another opinion from someone who would love to own an Alfa GTA.