F40 LM Restoration | Page 112 | FerrariChat

F40 LM Restoration

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Traveller, Jan 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2776 Traveller, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. SimonSays

SimonSays Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Thanks Tim, good to know my eyes don't deceive me ;)

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Seems the F50 is some sort of LM or GT? The raised engine cover is not stock or am I wrong?

4. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Just the factory hardtop on the F50

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Must be the angle.

6. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    The engine cover is missing on the F50.

7. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Love this car Tim. Thanks for posting......

8. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2783 Traveller, Aug 26, 2014
    Happy to, but little to report of interest for now. Car back in 5 days, wheel nuts made and Motec work including fuel tank calibration underway, and then final paint and assembly for the 13th.

Prep continues on the clam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    You know, seeing as you are in the UK, I wonder if Top Gear or Fifth Gear would be interested in doing a TV story on your car when it's completed. It would be cool to see Tiff Needell or Jason Plato driving it on track. I'd keep it away from Clarkson...

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    All these program's are obsessed with driving unnecessarily sideways ... yes Tiff too. The only one that drives properly on a TV is the Stig.

If it such a pity because obviously Tiff and Jason can drive but no they have to resort to chucking it around like a drifter.
    Pete

11. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Why would he want anyone else drive his prized possession? If I remember correctly the OP had invested a huge sum of money, why should he want guys who aren't typically mechanically sympathetic drive such a valuable and painstakingly rebuilt machine.

12. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Excellent point. I guess what I was thinking was that it would be great for the car, the owner, and the lads working on the car to get the recognition they richly deserve for all the blood, sweat, and resources that they've expended on this project.

13. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    A nice mag article on the restoration would prob be better......Weve all seen these cars tossed around for decades now.....

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I quite agree and as a race car fishtailing all over the track for video footage is not what this car is about. Consequently that may well be what the future holds. Very exciting plans in prospect.

15. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    By 'that may well be what the future holds' I was referring to a magazine, not fishtailing all over the track!

16. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Hope that works out for you Tim. I restored a 64 TR4 and the work was featured in the December 1988 issue of Restoring Classic Cars (now defunct I believe). They even paid me to write the article and have professional photos taken.
    Alan

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    FYI, after seeing the work that Mototechnique did on Tim's car, I passed on a special request (with some much needed help from Tim) for Kevin at Mototechnique to make a special carbon fiber part for my F40. Kevin's work was nothing short of impressive. The quality of the work, the time frame, and the care they took in packing it was incredible. It's the kind of personal care that hardly anyone seems to take in their business any more.

It was done so well that my logistics guy who takes care of all of my parts shipments from around the world found them to be totally easy to deal with from a shipping and customs standpoint and I will not hesitate to use them again.

18. mikster

mikster Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    LA
    Full Name:
    SLOMO
    #2793 mikster, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    This entire Journey needs to be in a Ferrari Magazine or some indepth article.
    Would you say this is the most comprehensive restoration job done on any F40, ever?
    Im interested in purchasing a Book on this job if it is ever published...

19. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thank you-I will be putting together a book when I have a) time and b) the car is finally finally finished and tested and will be posting a note on this thread accordingly. Anyone who wants one I will add to my own order and you are not the first to kindly show interest so hopefully we may get to print a few. It is however, not the work of a moment so don't hold your breath!

20. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2795 Traveller, Aug 29, 2014
    A couple of somewhat repetitive shots showing new front clam being sanded and shaped and in the second the final application of 2 pack primer. Car returns Monday for the final, final preparation work and then we will paint the inner wheel arches black leaving the relevant areas in the natural carbon finish. 2 weeks to go.

21. Pixel-Snapper

Pixel-Snapper Karting

Mar 19, 2013
    Middle England
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Looking good Tim.

I've finally made it to the prep stage of my all be it lesser Austin mini van restoration and I tell you what, those MT guys make it look easy... Sanding filler and primer is the most mind numbing thing imaginable.

22. AFMBR

AFMBR Karting

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada, eh
    Looks great!

23. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2798 Traveller, Aug 31, 2014
    Car back Monday pm, meanwhile an application of a " Wet on Wet " grey primer for the wheel arches to seal and loose fine sanding marks which will be followed by two coats of 2 pack Rally black. Hopefully by the time we have the car back, the clam will be finished aside from a final fitting check and then to paint.

24. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    those are huge wheel arches?? damn, thats gonna be one bad ass f40. ;)

25. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2800 Traveller, Sep 1, 2014