Fabspeed parts made in Taiwan? | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Fabspeed parts made in Taiwan?

Discussion in '360/430' started by SfefVan, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Availability elsewhere cheaper isn't really accurate. As mentioned earlier in order to get a set of these headers from the manufacturer overseas you would have a min order, I think 15 sets was the number. This would then make you a "distributor" not a regular one piece order customer and you would also be responsible for the warranty work, fitment issues, shipping, taxes, import tariffs, etc. So lets leave that out of the equation as I don't think cheaper is attainable.

As far as the "made in USA" claim and what it actually is that defines this, that is still to be determined it seems.

I personally prefer to buy my milk from the store then the farmer, or milk the cow myself.

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That depends what you think you're ordering. If you're looking to purchase a lowest priced, generic, Taiwanese header then actually Agency Power has you covered considerably cheaper. No need to go to JIM. They may not be the exact same header, but in terms of quality, my belief is that they're comparable.

3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
  4. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Agreed. Boobs do make everything better.

I have no experience personally with Agency power, so I can't speak for their quality or lack thereof. I do however have a lot of experience with Fabspeed, and regardless of where they come from, they are the best I have had my hands on.

5. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Agency Power sell the same F430 headers cheaper! Have you read this thread? Voicey has a set!

I think we all understand what is implied by 'Made in the USA'.

If you went to the Farm shop for your milk, and the bottle said produced in the USA, I guess you would reasonably expect the milk (not just the bottle) to come from the farmers cows rather than being imported from Taiwan. (I'm sure there is nothing wrong with Taiwanese milk or headers)

6. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Quality of the product is not the issue. As mentioned many times, lots of owners are very happy with the quality. The OEM product is rubbish and Fabspeed sell a great product.

7. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    The headers I saw from them were poorly made, especially in the collector area which is everything to a header design.. but maybe I was looking at the wrong picture? Fabspeed, other than a post here saying they blew him off, seems to back what they sell 100%. Good luck getting support from "Agency" of the Mfg in Taiwan! Typical internet lynch mob mentality, how about this, buy your headers somewhere else if you think Fabspeed is such a misrepresented outfit! I've been using Fabspeed products since my 1st (80's) 911 turbo and they have been as stand up and responsive as any company I have EVER dealt with. This whole thread is a bunch of BS.. but maybe if you own a 430 it's not.. time to separate the forums! :D

8. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My experience with them, the opposite of yours, was on a 360 spider. So separate away.

9. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Not addressing the "made in USA" claim, but as a Semiconductor exec who has been to Taiwan more times than I can count, I can assure you the manufacturing quality is there. Every iPhone, iPad, TV, PC, etc has made in Taiwan on the inside. Said differently, it might say Apple, Qualcomm or Broadcom on the label, but the companies that made it are TSMC, UMC, ASE and SPIL.

MB

10. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    FWIW all Apple products say "Designed by Apple in Cupertino, Assembled in China" No idea where the parts come from.
    Alan

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

As we continue to beat this topic around, I think the basic issue is disclosure and adherence to Federal law.

IF the headers are assembled in USA, it should say that. If they can meet the Federal requirement for Made in USA, then that's great too.

But, what we don't have in this thread is anything stating for the record that their product is either of there or the more dreaded, "Not Made in USA" that they seem to be so afraid of.

Interestingly, the cars that use their product are not made here, and none of those manufacturers seem afraid to state that.

I think the hole has been dug, and Fabspeed is having a difficult time figuring out how to climb out of it.

Could start here. Practice on us, see how it flies.

D

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I would like to see someone with any brand new products from Fabspeed to post the "Made in USA" from product or even the box.

13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #363 arizonaitalian, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014

Strawman. They don't say that anymore and I suspect you know that.

We do know (and it's posted on f chat and even linked in this thread) that fabspeed has said "made in the USA" when marketing to us in the past.

We also know that their product does not meet the requirements for "made in the USA". And, I'm sure fabspeed knows that too. (The facts outlining that are also in this thread.).

Unless I've been lied to directly (and I do not believe this to be the case), currently (not sure if this was always the case) fabspeed bends/fabricates their own pipes using USA Stainless steel and some foreign made components (a cast flange or merge collector - as they have said - and perhaps more) to assemble/weld their headers in the USA. I know they read this thread, and I suspect the above description varies from product to product. That said, hopefully they will post and say "THIS" is how and what we use to bring these headers to market.

Last point, they have been accused of - at some points in time - selling headers that are completely made elsewhere under their brand. Many here have said JIM or agency power also sell these exact headers. That is a serious allegation and fabspeed should address it head-on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wait a minute guys, if Fabspeed is no longer promoting their products as Made in the USA, if the products no longer contain any such labeling as you are suggesting, than what exactly is the problem? It would seem to me that whatever issues may or may not have existed in the past regarding their origin claims, they are no longer making any such claims. Shouldn't that be the end of it? Am I missing something here?

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Who is to say that they didn't change manufacturing over the years. Things in business aren't static. What you would need to establish is that the headers were made overseas when Fabspeed made that claim. NOT that they have said made in the USA before; I doubt the dispute that. Even then, what does it prove? IF it was not true to the spec, then they found out they were not compliant and corrected the practice, would that be so bad? I submit that is exactly how you would want a company to work. Correct the mistakes and deliver a great product.

By the way, I have read the "evidence" and honestly there isn't proof. There is circumstantial evidence, Jim makes a header and Fabspeed buys some things from Jim, but there is no proof linking the two events. That is no different than saying 'there was a bank robbery in Boston and you were in Boston so you must have robbed the bank.' That is not proof.

16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Yes, IMHO you are. That is fine for future customers, not so much for existing customers. And, as I've said before, I personally do not like being mislead by sponsors marketing to our community. Frankly, if f-chat were my business, that would be a criteria for maintaining sponsorship. Ethics matter (to some of us).

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    No you aren't. There are just a lot of people who like bashing Fabspeed. It is kind of like being part of a crowd that beats up the kid at school and think somehow it makes them cool.

18. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

I hope you don't think your post is disagreeing with my position...

First, I completely agree I believe they have changed their product components and assembly over the years. It's a guess based in what I've read and what they have told me and posted on the internet. That said, I highly doubt historically they met the standard for made in the USA. (The standard is both strict and clear).

With regard to re packing/reselling other peoples headers, I too am not convinced by the evidence. That's why I suggested they address that allegation directly.

19. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I understand your position completely, but a good portion of this thread, though perhaps not your posts, speak to an ongoing effort to mislead the public. It would seem that to the extent that may or may not have occurred it seems that is no longer the case and it bares pointing out. As to their past actions, it probably makes sense for them to stay mum on the subject lest they fuel litigation and remedy their actions moving forward, which they appear to have done.

Not that my opinion matters, but I am sympathetic to your position.

20. ParkCity360Spider

Sep 20, 2010
    Park City, Ut
    Full Name:
    Tim M

AGREED

21. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    If anyone has questions regarding Agency Power headers they can PM me directly or can start a separate thread..don't want to take away from the OP's thread..

22. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    #372 netman, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is my two cents on this:
    I have in my possession both Agency and Fabspeed headers for my 360 spider. I first purchased the Agency black ceramic coated headers. They arrived five weeks later and there were nothing but issues:
    The flanges where the header meets the engine cylinder head needed to have the mounting holes elongated to pass over the stud protruding form the cylinder head , the headers we so wide they hit on the engine mount bolts on one side, the header tubing was not pitched to clear the AC compressor let alone the OEM AC compressor heat shield, the outlet tube was too big for the donut gasket.

So I filed a complaint with the dealer through which I made my initial purchase and requested a set of Fabspeed headers while awaiting a return / refund of the Agency parts.
    The folks at Fabspeed having heard of my issues had a set ready to ship and gave my dealer a deeper discount to help me offset the labor costs of trying to install the Agency headers, they shipped them for free or at a great discount, and yes the box does indeed say Made in the USA. Personally at this point I could not care if they were made on Mars. The quality and fit of the FS headers in my opinion are superior as the FS headers installed without issue. I cannot see how it is possible to say they same company made these two headers or the same jig was used, having had both in my hands side by side. Have a look for yourself as I have included pictures.

Lastly I have the FS headers wrapped in Capristo heat shield blankets and can feel a definite temperature difference in the passenger compartment. They carpeted wall behind the seats no longer feels hot. The heat shield bags did give off a chemical odor for the first 50 miles driven but has since dissipated and has not been smelled since.

Overall I am very happy and would recommend my current setup or FS headers, Capristo header heat shield bags, OEM cats, and Tubi muffler box with Tubi exhaust tips.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I wouldn't worry about the OP, he left long ago.

Please post info in this thread about Agency Power F430 headers.

24. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
  25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name: