2016 Mazda Miata | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2016 Mazda Miata

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nurburgringer, Sep 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Awesome home run !

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    My dealer in Orlando told me the first car will show up at the dealer show room in October. The first # of cars will be special colors and be more expensive. Later cars about $50k.

He told me the drives like a Lotus Elise, and I had yhe sport. The car has more hp than the Elise.

My only fear is I will not be able to get into the car. The Lotus wa only doable for me with the top off. He mentioned Alfa would be introducing additional models. I think I am excited

It has wonderful looks.

Best

Lee

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Lee,
    My local dealer replied to my email today even though I had mistakenly asked about the 2015 model and not the 2016 model. The rep understood my error and at my request will contact me when they receive 2016 stock. I just want to drive the car and compare it to my '99 NB but I have no desire to replace my DD BMW 5 series for another DD 2-seater.

Man I want another Miata bad and I actually rank it a few points above all my MR2's regarding handling. I have always wanted a car project I can share with my father and since he was a Ford mechanic for 20+yr's I am thinking about a V8 swap (something I would have never considered). My Dad can coach me from his chair (bad knee's) but he is a wealth of information.

Sorry for going OT.

4. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #29 DriveAfterDark, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I need a drool bucket!!

6. SCM

SCM Karting

Aug 27, 2007
    Richmond
    The pictures of the long awaited new (2016) Mazda MX-5 have just come out. Do I see parts of the Ferrari California T there, as well as some styling cues from the Jaguar XKF?
    I know I'm going to get in trouble here (but I do own a 1989 California Azzurro 328 GTS, which I love), but IMHO, I think the new "Miata" is better-looking, cleaner styled, then either of those two cars, and at about $35,000. Why did it take Mazda to make a clean roadster that doesn't look like someone kicked it in the rear? Let's hear your thoughts.

7. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Well, Italy IS shaped like a boot, and therefore made for kicking things in the ass.

8. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I am not wild about the new Miata. While it's fairly attractive, it is - to me - far too derivative. It looks like the illegitimate baby of a BMW Z4 and a Honda S2000. No trace at all of the 1.2 scale Lotus Elan that it has been all these years. I much prefer the green car depicted above, but I'm at least excited about the specs.

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    New Miata looks like a BMW Z4 mated with a Honda S2000.

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I really hope this isn't accurate. I don't think anyone would consider buying a $50K Miata.

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    when the first gen Miata came out in 1989, people (particularly in CA) were paying $40k then to buy the first ones. they were ~$20k MSRP at the time.

so yes, I have no doubt that some people will spend $50k on the first ones now.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Lee,
    I think the dealer, sales rep, you spoke with is smoking something because there is no way the Miata will sell for $50K. Maybe the first ones as Guy suggested, yet after the dust settles the car will sell for between $28K (base) and $33K (fully optioned.) I am basing my opinion upon all the car mag's and their opinions and they are normally a reliable source.

For $50K I would buy a 4C.

13. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #38 GordonC, Sep 5, 2014
  14. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    The first few went for crazy prices, but the original MSRP was just shy of $14k.

I still think of the Miata as a $20 something thousand car. Would have a hard time stomaching $50k+.

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    OK the $20k # was a blind guess (I was thinking it was under that but couldn't remember).

but point stands, people will pay crazy amounts for the first of any new enthusiast car.

16. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #41 Nurburgringer, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    One of the best looking 2 seat roadsters ever, from the pics at least.

Even more impressive considering pedestrian safety regs (hood higher than ideally would be) and ~2200lb curb weight.

You have to go back to the Z3 to find a vert with such low door sills. Hanging an elbow on the door is one of the great things about driving a ragtop IMO, try that in almost any recent one and you're risking a rotator cuff injury.

Mazda's already done the "modern Elan" look twice and semi-swoopy once so good on them for going in a new direction.

Sure you can point to other cars' designs and call this derivative, but I bet it'll be completely recognizable on the road as a Miata, if only because it's so small.

Where are you seeing 4C in the design BTW? Tailights?

With a baby on the way in 3 weeks and already one tiny 2-seater in the garage ('86 CRX Si) I won't be buying one anytime soon but, if my son turns into a gearhead like his old man I can see picking one up cheap in 16 years as his first car/my weekend toy :)

17. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    So what you're saying is that it should be more derivative of the Elan? :)

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think it looks great, a little heavy in the rear and a bit z4 there but excusable.
    If it drives like one of the earlier ones it shoudl be great, they are the nicest steering car out there, and I drive an elise.

The maiata motor was always a bit thrashy, but maybe the new one is not. Super or turbocharge one and its hard to beat. I know I had trouble keeping up with a 250hp turbo maiata at watkins glenn.

There is a reason why a maita is the most produced sportscar of all time. The older designs were getting a bit stale and the car a bit heavy. Loosiing 200lbs a fresh face probably better power, whats not to like. I just dont see why one would spend more on a car than this, when it is so spectacular.

Look at the alfa 4c which despite its cf tub weighs more. The benefits of the Cf tub namely stiffness are negated by a strut suspension. There is a crappy mtor paddle only.

If the Miata drives like Maiatas of old(as opposed tot he last version) its a home run, sign me up. Hopefully they have not f-ed up the dynamics, eps is a concern.

19. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Fun little car for a hairdresser. ;)

Little Ferrari? No.

Only cheap/small car I'd consider a "little Ferrari" is the new Alfa Romeo 4C.

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Form over substance for you then.

21. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    I read Fiat is going to produce its version of this car, THAT will be the little Ferrari.

22. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I want one. Looks fantastic!

23. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #48 Nurburgringer, Sep 5, 2014
    A friend of mine who runs a guest house near the 'Ring just finished turbo-ing an older Miata. He's done well over 10k laps of the NS on a bike (sub 7:30 laps) and probably >1000 in cars.

I'm both sad and happy he wasn't able to give me a passenger lap when I was there last month. Would have probably left a stain on the seat...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N959zlbb2ec&list=UUTbMBZ02dQwSjfPw4yqYLvw]dtm weekend - YouTube[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The Miata and Duran Duran, two '80s classics...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze5GPxABcMs]2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Live Reveal - YouTube[/ame]

25. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It looks like Honda S2000 mated to a Subaru BRZ.

As the Honda S2000 was the most generic looking spider ever made I guess a copy and re use by another company should have been expected !!

$50,000.00?? Does anybody know who came up with that? Did Mazda leak that price?