Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 465 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimkRFC

jimkRFC Rookie

Dec 6, 2013
    The author feels that the 650S was more fun on the same track - the conclusion is pretty clear.

Also, it's pajamas only in the US it is pyjamas every where else. No need to be so parochial old bean :)

2. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Yeah, but is this debate about which car is the most fun or which car is the fastest (on the street or on a track)? As hypercars are primarily built to set new performance benchmarks, it is apparantly about which car is the fastest. If it was about which car brings more fun than that is A: pretty subjective and B: we should al go out and buy a Lotus Exige and be done with it.

3. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    It appears some on this site are losing it, grasping for any straws. Lol

Yeah. Many so called experts, rate the [relatively] underpowered] Cayman as the best sports car, and the Lotus Exige, and/or Mazda Miata amongst the most fun. And they feel this way, exactly because of their simplicity and lack of power (along with their balanced handling, and toss-ability).

4. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    EH

You notice I don't argue with Driftwithme recently?

He's like entertainment; of the disconcerting kind of course (such as viewing the aftermath of a car wreck/fender bender, with participants angry gibberish).

For someone who claims to have owned and driven both vehicles, he's blithely cognizant of so many facets, benchmarks and dynamics of the vehicles (from any perspective). However, I won't go there and say he doesn't own, or have driven the the vehicles, or anything else. That's not necessary, my concern.

Additionally, unless he's trolling; he's been very presumptuous on what he thinks (always a bad sign, indicator) about various posters background.....Funny.

Lastly, no one's arguing one's personal opinion about any vehicle. Who cares!? Good for them.They're plenty intangibles in the 918's favor that we're not rehashing. However, if speed is being discussed: Until an owner and his buddies sets up some official timing apparatus with witnesses or video, we have to go by magazine publications and their standardized criteria, with explanation. Notice, no one's quoting ANY Two Bit magazine test, article regarding benchmarks??

As it's been mentioned; this has all been discussed in detail before, ad nauseum here. However, some how, we have a current flurry of recent, new posters who want to drag up/out already long debunked arguments and fallacies. Gotta Luv the entertainment, silly factor, I guess?

Nonetheless, I admire you for having the energy, and putting up the good fight (particularly amongst all the nonsense, renewed dogma, and dribble). Lol

5. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    #11605 boyko23, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. driftwithme

driftwithme Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    #11606 driftwithme, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Lol. I salute you for this post. You my friend are the best form of entertainment on the internet.

7. driftwithme

Sep 2, 2009
    Question. For real, Why are you so obsessed with the Porsche?

8. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    No, this prize has to go for the person, who has given more than 2 mil. on cars, for which knows nothing... :)

9. driftwithme

Sep 2, 2009
    Wait let me get my magazines ready and get back to you

10. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    There we go.

Car wreck type humor, hubris; along with vapid (though wholly unwarranted) self absorption at it's finest I see?

Gotta Luv it/him. Keep it up man. Lol

11. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I don't even thinks he realizes that your on to him.

Shame (though not surprising). Lol

12. driftwithme

Sep 2, 2009
    According to almost everyone (owners, people who tried both, and video reviews), the p1 was the more fun.

Now like you said that is subjective. An 80yr old women might find the 918 more fun, I would see where that would come from.

Now with regards to what is fastest, which is what all the drama is about now. Different holy books, I mean magazines have posted different results.

I still believe and feel, that the p1 with a capable driver, would be faster than a 918 around certain circuits.

13. douglas111

douglas111 Rookie

Sep 5, 2014
    I've just joined. I've been watching this thread quite some time. I'm not quite sure what has compelled me to join, since it's been quite feisty at times, but there we go. I've never been on a car forum before, so this is very new.

I hope my limited background in high performance cars doesn't prohibit me being here. My parents used to own a 928, but since then, I don't think I've hardly set foot in a sports car since then. So, I just experience them though magazines and online videos. But I've always loved cars since a child.

I've not read all 600 pages. Probably about 50 over the past few weeks. It's been interesting and quite animated.

Just one question at the moment. Since the current thrust of debate is mostly about measuring performance, how do you guys know if a magazine performed a timed run in both directions? I can't recall a magazine (or a magazine's online video) ever doing timed runs both ways, or making reference to such a thing. I can see the importance, especially over longer distances, such as 0-200 mph.

14. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Are you saying he's a fraud? Surly if he owns the cars he says it would be easy to snap a quick pic with something not normally seen in a super car to prove beyond a doubt that he has the cars he says.

15. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    That is a fair statement. Whether or not it holds true will probably be decided somewhere in the future. Not by me though. I will never come close to any of these babies, let alone drive them in anger.

16. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    Off topic:

Koenigsegg testing a Agera R at NS

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6DuR9yGcGI]Koenigsegg Agera R going FAST! EPIC Sounds! - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds pretty good :)

17. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    what ******. 2 mil bucks and YOU also still have to cite magazines (your Motor Trend prototype test numbers) to make your desperate points, so enough with the demeaning everyone who isn't an owner is a 'magazine racer' crap.

18. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    I love the Drive youtube clips on their technology. great stuff. I particularly like the segment on their carbon fiber wheels. just awesome.

19. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    It is just reality, that almost all of us who are passionate about these machines will never get to drive them. We're left to appreciate them in other ways, and 'experience' them through their respective owners. Well, that's all we can do when we're unable to drive them (or even sit in them).

As for being faster or slower at certain racetracks, what we do know is that both EVO and Top Gear were faster in the 918 at those particular tracks where they did the h2h tests.

20. MD326

MD326 Karting

May 6, 2007
    MD & FL
    Full Name:
    WJP
    To me, it sounds just OK. I'm sure it drives much better than it sounds :)
    Hopefully, I can say this while not actually owning one.
    I'm sure in the cabin it is quite another story.

Cheers

21. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    It's standard operating procedure for any "instrumented test". So much so, most magazines probably don't even mention it. You certainly many not notice if you run through/peruse through the magazine. Some will though (or it's in the details).

However, if the magazine didn't do a properly instrumented test and quote times, they will usually tell us. The reason why we know the Motor Trend P1 test wasn't' properly instrumented, was because they told us. As I said, it's standard procedure.

This is done to account for tail winds and headwinds, which can effect the times. It doesn't have to be a long run. Even 0-60 can be affected by heavy tail or head winds.

Usually, when you read a magazine did one, two or three acceleration runs; then avg the time, it's usually done in different directions, whether they mention it, and/or you notice it or not.

Also keep in mind, if/when a magazine does a full days worth of acceleration, handling, and track time, that's much more taxing to the vehicle, than just doing one or a few of those things, and calling it a day. Some vehicles overheat (or their tires), and/or don't perform as well, when given various strenuous exercises.

Hope that helps?

22. driftwithme

Sep 2, 2009
    You have so much hate and anger in you, I don't think it's a good idea for you to be near, let operate any type of machinery at the moment. Ride a bicycle vent it off

23. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    PS Douglas111: Road and track did an earlier acceleration run of the 918, mentioning it was a limited run on a beat up old drag strip (think they got an 0-60 of 2.5 sec, and 1/4 mile of 10.0 secs). Therefore, they were telling us, 'don't take what we were saying as the gospel; more testing needs to be done'.

Sure enough, when they did their proper test later, they achieved both faster 0-60 mph (2.2 secs), and 1/4 mile run of 9.8 secs. Of course, depending on the situation, circumstances, and/or particular vehicle, it could have went the other way as well--with higher times.

Hope that helps?

24. driftwithme

Sep 2, 2009
    A very nice writeup of the 918 from a laferrari owner, I don't know if it is a rp;

"Originally Posted by Futch on Rennteam View Post

I have been really interested in the car lately, after seeing all the videos online, the numerous tests, so I enquired Porsche and was immediately invited to try the car. The test occurred today in Holland on the Zandvoort track.

First of all, what a track! Lots of turns, some blind corners, slow, fast, going up and down, really glad to have discovered it, really nice old school track.

Porsche legend Gis Van Lennep was there, it was awesome to meet the guy.

Very nice costumer event, first I drove a 991 Turbo then a 991 Turbo S and finally a 918 Weissach behind an instructor in a Turbo.

First the 991. Well, I think the choice of car was wrong, why not a GT3 since it was a track event? Shame… This is the first time I was driving the road car. The only 991 I had driven before is the RSR so can't even compare (metzger engine, hydraulic steering, much wider track, more aero, etc.).

I was a bit disappointed by both Turbo to be honest. I know I sold my 997 Turbos S a while ago but the normal Turbo didn't feel faster and the S a but more punch mid range. The big disappointment for me was the steering. The car goes where you point but it's completely lifeless, no feedback at all, it's disconcerting on a track. The car setup is too soft for the track even with PDCC and PASM etc all in full attack mode. The car however is very nice to drive on the limit, you loose the back very progressively. It's a very nice GT. The PDK also is not great, it's fast but it felt slower than the 918 for example.

Then the 918. Interior is super nice. Build quality is superb! It's a like a modern Carrera GT with that center console with an iPad on it, it's awesome. The seats are very upright, especially in the passenger seat you sit too upright I thought, this is weird coming from Porsche who usually makes perfect buckets.

First lap in E mode, it's awesome, engineer told me it's on par with a base Boxster, that's impressive. So much torque, then a few laps in race mode. The chassis is amazing, extremely stiff and rigid. The steering is surprisingly heavy but it's sharper than the Turbo and somehow you get more into coming up though your hands. No roll at all. For a road car, I mean, that's really extreme. Weight? Can't feel to be honest. the car is 1640 kgs, yes you feel the inertia on braking, but on acceleration it's really fast and neutral. Couldn't feel the 4WD either to be honest, I had a few oversteer moments on exit and the car's behaviour was just perfect.

The brakes were very weird and disappointing, at the end of the straight, I slammed the brakes and there is no feel at all. Porsche guys said it was normal due to regen and than you get used to it, but I only did a few laps and I didn't. They are much more natural in Laferrari which also use regen.

The noise is superb, coming from right behind you. So loud! It really sounds like a race car a full speech. Doesn't' sing like a Carrera GT but it beast it in terms of volume easy!

My biggest disappointment weirdly was the combustion engine. It's too linear. For example, compared to Laf which I know very well, there is more torque in the 918, a mountain of torque actually but then between 7500 and 9000, you feel nothing. You see the rev going up but you don't feel any additional push if you see what I mean. Compared to Laf, that's when it becomes mental, those last 2000rpm the V12 just screams and delivers its ultimate punch. Also you are going so fast at those speeds, it's difficult to know where you are in the rev range in the Porsche. The Ferrari has this smart setup with diodes on the steering wheel. I was seating slightly too high in the Porsche even though I'm only 6ft.

Then we took a normal version on the roads. And it's even more impressive than on the track. Switching between E mode and Sport mode, driving in full electric is more fun than I thought and just amazing.

How to I compare the two cars? The Ferrari feels faster, no question, it's more mental, more playful. That's not saying it's faster around a track over one lap because the 918 has so much torque, but you need to adapt your driving a bit and get used to those brakes. The 918 feels its weight on braking too, there's more inertia going to the apex.

On the road, the 918 is the more versatile car, more usable I'd say, it's smaller, more discreet, just a better all rounder no question.

Funnily enough, the perfect car would be a combination of both. The Ferrari is more of a supercar in the sense that it feels faster, the rear breaks traction more easily, there is more intimidation, it's also more fun, the 918 is glued to the road, the tyres are also much better though so that helps, Cup 2 vs Corsas. The E mode is amazing. The interior design and quality is amazing. I tested the burmeister and it's just brilliant. The stereo is the Ferrari is laughable.

It feels a bit like the 80s when we had the 959 vs the F40. Porsche has gone further in the technological tour de force where the Ferrari feels more raw. (Although actually the 918 is stiffer, even in normal suspension mode. The Ferrari is more compliant in bumpy road mode and has a lot more body roll)

Hope this helped guys. Sorry not much structure in my post, just writing down my impressions as they came.

No word on number of cars sold but I got the impression that there plenty left available."

25. douglas111

douglas111 Rookie

Sep 5, 2014
    Apologies for the slow response.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Also, I didn't realise that, ref tire ware. Another factor helps explain the differences between different magazine results.