Should the 360 replacement(420?) have vertical opening doors? | FerrariChat

Should the 360 replacement(420?) have vertical opening doors?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ryder, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Vertical opening doors?

1. YES

2. NO

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    With so much competition in it's price range now, I feel the next ferrari should be a little more exotic. Apart from the obvious like more power, would anyone else like vertically opening doors?

2. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    no thanks.....i like vertical doors but not on a 360 replacement

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    IMO, it would just overcomplicate things and raise costs. It's a personal thing, but how the doors open on a car hasn't really wowed me. When I was 10 and thought Countaches were the bomb it was more impressive, but I think the novelty has worn thin - even Lambo passed on them on the Gallardo.

What blows my mind is these guys spending money modding Hondas and Acuras to put scissor and vertical doors on them...

4. enzoz

enzoz Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I want Enzo style doors.

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No scissor doors or anything like it on the 420. Ferraris for the most part dont need that much flash, there aweasome cars without it.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Vertical doors would be heaps more practical. I hate the drama of getting out of cars in a carpark ... plus all the door hit marks on your car.

Pete

7. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    The Gallardo doesn't have it because Lambo is keeping them as a premium on the Murcie.. Remember the Jalpa not having them as well as compared with the Countach?

They are coveted...

8. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Yeah Thats the best thing in my opinion. (keep alll the better things on the special Ferrari )

9. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    One thing to consider with vertical opening doors, what do you do in the unfortunate event of the car rolling??? you cant open the doors, now as I am thinking this, how do cars like this get past the US DOT laws where they seem very strict in many aspects.

10. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

Vertical opening door kits are the new hottest thing in all the rice mags

In the next few years it might be the third most popular option on a ricer after the fart-can and 20 inch wheels.

Nothing looks better than a Mini Cooper with Enzo doors :)

11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

For the 360 replacement? It could open like the Enzo but not like a Lamborghini but it's not a big deal if it has normal doors.

I know that many people are going to say that this is stupid but if the Gallardo had the vertical doors, I would have bought one already. Without them, there is just not quite enough of that old Lamborghini character, which is the biggest problem that I have with it. It is growing on me, though. The doors would have gone a long way.

12. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

For $3,000 you can get the kit and fix up your new gallardo.

All the guys at NSXprime.com are talking about it.

I'd love to see if these bolt-on kits really work?

13. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    Not a 360 replacement but why not on a 575 replacement in a couple of years?

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Sorry, Mark. It's not the same.

15. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    To the guy above with the rollover comment... Don't they also offer the option of oppening out like typical doors just for that reason?

Kyle

16. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think it would be nice just for the parking issues alone. Should be much easier to get in and out in a tight space or garage.

17. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    the poll really suprised me, I thought it would have been the other way around, personally I'd love to have them

18. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would rather see them do something original than copy a Lambo design.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If the windows went right down could you not get out of the car via the windows. I know Lambos don't ... but that is their problem ;)

Also most normally opening doors actually go up slightly, so you would have difficulty opening them when upside down anyway. Also the F360 is pretty fncked in a roll over so I don't think you will be so worried about the doors opening (they probably wouldn't anyway) ... more what to do with the roof that is squeezing your guts into the floor of the car.

To this end I personally believe ALL cars should have roll cages ...

Pete

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, Lambo did not invent the 'ONLY' vertical opening doors. Race cars have had vertical opening doors of some degree for many, many years. Look at a P3/4, 917 Porsche, etc.

In the end when the car gets lower and narrower, the only way to get into a car is to increase the opening into the roof (or angle the side windows to increase the opening like the Countach) ... so it would not be copying, it would be enabling REAL people to get into the car!

Pete

21. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think that style of door SCREAMS Lambo - I would just like to see something more original.

I was watching the speed channel yesterday (who wasn't??).

They were having a show regarding an 1930-1950's GM designer (Harley Earl). While walking through the designing studio, he saw some designer with some Spy photos of a competitor's concept car. He tore the photos up & said "We lead, not copy."

I like that.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree, but one should also not restrict your options JUST because somebody else used something similar. Remember they all have 4 stroke engines, and wheels ;). If Ferrari made some sort of vertical opening door, it does not have to be a copy of the Lambo design ... it CAN be their own interpretation.

Pete

23. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    True - The enzo kind of has some sort of vertical door right?

24. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    What about doors that slide backward (parallel to the car itself), like on some vans. That gets around both the car parking and inside garage problems. Its also handy for unloading large items from your ferrari - like a fat girlfriend for example.

25. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    The mechanism for the vertical door is much too expensive for an entry model Ferrari. Sorry, it won't happen.

In that market place, buyers will be looking at name and performance. I don't think the door feature will be something that will swing them to Ferrari.