Valve clearance check near-disaster | FerrariChat

Valve clearance check near-disaster

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 4Webers, Sep 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    #1 4Webers, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok, disaster is overly dramatic, but it was nearly an 'oh sh**'! While checking my valve clearances, the nut holding my feeler gauges together worked its way off and the nut and tiny washer went flying. Very Luckily, they hit the firewall and fell to the ground, but could have easily gone flying into the guts of the engine. I'm sure the pros and experienced diy'ers already know to do this, but be sure to put locktite on those suckers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Another option (what I do) is to remove the feelers I need from the cluster. Eliminates fighting with the whole cluster and the risk of dropping something into the engine.

Brewman

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You can't Loctite that. It is meant to be a little loose so you can fold the leaves and spread them out like a fan.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You can locktite it, as long as you don't tighten the nut so the leaves and still move.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    what he said...

I have to goto sizes looped with a small zip-tie, so it's like a key ring for the gauges. keeps them handy and no small hardware projectiles.

6. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Seems prudent when the valve covers are off and all those nooks and crannies exposed, so stuff some rags in those holes, cause there's always something trying to slip down there. Same thing when the spark plugs are out. You don't want one of the many valve cover nuts or washers disappearing down into a cylinder.

7. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I had the holes stuffed, but with something that tiny you never know...

Good ideas all - I like the idea of separating the most-used sizes from the rest of them.