Lancia Sport Barchetta | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lancia Sport Barchetta

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by tifosi_, Jan 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    I know the owner of Ocean drive motors and he is a pretty stand up guy . I also did some research and yes this car didn't exist in the day . That said if Danny were to produce documentation that it was a "home built "or even a coach built in '62 I think it would have more weight that if it was built recently . without that one has to conclude its just another "evocation " "continuation " or whatever the buzzword is .
    Since few Italian cars and even fewer Lancia's had diamond tufted transmission tunnels (I think interiors guy was inspired by Ferraris or Iso's of which most had this after '62.
    I only speculate that the whole thing was done more recently and therefore would adversely affect value . hopefully whomever finds out will let this community know.

interested.............

Gary
    Espada
    EtypeFHC

2. ClassicAB

ClassicAB Karting
    BANNED

Jan 1, 2014
    Humm.. I am not sure to understand. Either you haven't read my post, either... well, I don't know.
    My uncle used to own that car. The car did exist! He told me a lot about it.. and I have seen pictures.

I don't want to be mean, but saying that "no document" means "the car didn't exist" shows one's ignorance about cars history and Italian culture as well.
    Do you think that little craftsmen who were building cars all day in little shops were worried about producing documents so that 50 years later, people would acknowledge their work?? Nop.. pretty sure they didnt give a damn!
    Just even look at the Ferrari 250 GTO! Very poorly documented, and yet, Ferrari was already quite a big company! Do you imagine a single guy who made 2 or 3 cars??
    And take in consideration, the time and the place.. Italy in the mid-century!

Anyways, people can say whatever they want, the car still did exist .. but, let's be careful with our statements: sometimes ignorance can become insulting.

3. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    #28 thedoc, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Sorry I missed the part about your uncle ownership and I should have stated that from what I read here and read on line ,the car didn't exist as far as Lancia is concerned in that particular body configuration .Also without proper documentation the public may assume the car didn't exist IN the period that your claiming it was built.
    So let's take a different approach here . So I am a dealer looking to move an apparantly very rare undiscovered Lancia along to a customer looking for something unique and maybe historical. First question! Is it real? Answer Yes ! Ok prove it ! How ? With historical documentation and photos that's how ! If historians or more importantly Lancia have no record of it then regardless of when or how well it was built one will make assumptions that will adversely affect the sale price ? Unfortunately History and proven provenance dictate price . A period photo of such a rare and beautiful car must exist . How long ago did your uncle own it? In the early 60s? What documentation exists if any? does he have some of that?
    The public buyer has and always will be skeptical about things like this given its assumed value .
    I for one would be thrilled if this was researched further. Imagine if there are race photos for example ? then this car might then be worth far more ?
    BTW is there any coach builders marque on the car or evidence of one that might of existed on the body work ? I know enough about Italian culture having been married to one for 15 years, to know they are fiercely proud and as such one would want to tell the world that they built with their own hands such a beautiful car regardless of the era of construction .

hopefully this thread will produce some fascinating history if there is some

Gary
    Espada
    EtypeFHC

4. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Please don't insult decades of researches i made, i'm a pro not a barker. I understood you need to collect 200K cash, so good luck. And talking about statements, try to get a Lancia register certification before and we'll see...

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    These old race cars reappear and as a historian of sorts, I like to see a period picture of the car back in its original era with some identifier of what event it is at, or sometimes you can tell by the cars parked along the road what era it was photographed in. I just received a picture today of a 340America that was taken in the early '50s so I know the car, which was modified mightily off and on by subsequent owners, actually existed back then. Sometimes there are old racing reports that actually list the car by SN. So before I would pay the price that dealer is asking--which is more what a real period race car would go for--I'd want to see a stack of pictures and old race car entrance documents that attest that it was racing at the time it was new.

Of course there's always the built-in-a-back-alley by a no-name shop car that was never raced in the Fifties in which case it is a replica racer though maybe chassis wise it could still be a real period Lancia from the Fifties. In which case you would have to find out what building a new body that would match its original body would cost. Shaughnessey was in a similar situation when he bought the Ferrari under the Devin kit car body off eBay. He knew it was a real chassis with a real racing history but had to figure in his cost of finding an engine, gearbox, rear suspension and building a body to match its one-time original.

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    snip
    ..and so would any buyer, but what a beautiful thing!

7. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Guys, dont get to bent about this being a fake or not, the money is to much but for the beaty of it the workmanship that went into it it deserves a life of its own.
    I have a friend whom built a one-off "Ferrari" and it to twenty years to build and it has its own life, it may not be worth much but its a stunning car and deserves recognition for what it is, not what it pretends to be.
    This is a very pretty little car and I for one would love to own.
    Cheers
    Graeme

8. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Wouldn't we call it a "special"? John

9. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    #34 PG1964, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The first is a fake 1959 Formula 2 , the donor was an 1954 Aurelia B21, auctioned by Artcurial last year at 60.000€ (unsold).
    The second is a fake 1961 Sport barchetta, the donor was a 1951 Aurelia B20, auctioned by Coys last year at 75.000€ (unsold). In particular this car has a Fiat 1100 chassis, an Osca gearbox, wheels and drums from a Maserati A6G. The body is very similar to the Ferraris 375MM/500 Mondial (the PF badge is a fake too.)
    Just to show you what the Italian craftsmen were able to build at that time. However Lancia never built these cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. ClassicAB

ClassicAB Karting
    BANNED

Jan 1, 2014
    Well..

I want 2014 to be a peaceful year therefore I am not gonna fight about unimportant topic.
    If people don't want to believe the car actually did exist, that's their problem!
    I know it did and that's actually enough to me.

And no, I am gaining anything defending it ( I wish I could still get 200K from its sale) as it does not belong to my family anymore. I was trying to share information and that's it!

Whoever owns that car must know the true and is happy, I am sure of it.

11. ClassicAB

ClassicAB Karting
    BANNED

Jan 1, 2014
    So.. I was a bit annoyed that people would not believe me.. so I had to ***** about it with my cousin. He reminded me about that day when his older brother started the car without permission and damaged it a little..

I don't know if it was fixed by the other owners or not.. Worse checking for the non-believer..

12. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #37 velocetwo, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    This is the #0005 D24 sport one of the 2 original survived.
    The other cars around are replicas built by Rosani who was authorized by the factory, the Biscaretti museum and Pininfarina.

14. freedomgli

freedomgli Karting

Sep 20, 2005
    Washington, DC

Based on this topic and others recently on FChat, it would seem you are the one with a credibility problem. No one said your uncle didn't own this car or that car. Noted historians are saying the car is not the genuine article. It may very well have been owned by your uncle 50 years ago. It might have even been commissioned by him! It's a bitsa, plain and simple.

15. Venturi

Venturi Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2014
    The World
    Philippe Olczyk has an Uncle who is driving this car ... Big fun with all these stories from Olczyk to sell his crap :)

16. Venturi

Venturi Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2014
    The World
    Cute Uncle. And your Aunt is driving a Bizzarini ? This Olczyk is a lot of fun in creating stories some (rich) candid may believe ...