Interviewing mechanics | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Interviewing mechanics

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by proof69, Sep 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Well said.

2. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Eugenio's name has come up before....
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/california-nevada-southern-sponsored-fast-cars-ltd/307911-sock-puppet-roundup.html

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Eugenio serviced my car for the previous owner and so I contacted him as part of my DD in trying to find out about my car. He sent me a copy of his service records and he does indeed photo document the majors. You can imagine my elation at being able to piece the service history of my car together. We had a few brief discussions while I was completing the transaction and so I was able to form an opinion that was positive. He even gave me a nice lesson on how to live with a black car and keep it looking new. For this i will be forever grateful.

If you are a little sensitive you might get uncomfortable at his direct and blunt approach. (Very similar to Rifle Drivers tone). It's called straight shooting and these days it can be hard to find. Once you get into the groove of your Ferrari service you will most likely get it serviced EVERY year so being on the calendar is important but it also makes for a more painless ownership experience since it just happens every twelve months.

Your issue is that you will need someone to help you get through the acquisition phase and some of the good mechanics don't really have time for this. You may be able to get a recommendation from him if you were looking at a specific car in a specific area. This you can do on F-Chat also in the region specific areas of the site. Some of these good shops might also be able to help you find a car if you are a serious buyer.

Its a long shot but there is a thread in the 360/430 section about Paul Walkers 360 that came up for sale a while back. In it there are some service records from a shop near you IIRC. In my mind I was thinking that a guy like Paul would know where to take a car for service so I was happy to point out the name in the thread. I will look for it and bump it up to the top for you. Good luck, I know you are beating the bushes pretty hard in here. I hope something good comes your way.

4. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Thanks for looking out.

5. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    As a newbie, i was very reserve about finding the right guy for the job. There are a number of guys in the So Cal area that are plenty skilled and capable of working on F Cars. I think the difference is the relationship you make with your mechanic. Having someone explain what is going on with your car allows you to be more intimate with it.
    Any mechanic can tell you that you need to replace something. But having one explain why at this time it should be changed vs having someone just change it and bill you for it.
    Although my mechanic, (Damien) has a plethora of customers, he always make you feel like one of the guys. Not only is he sincere, he's damn honest. He takes the time to go through the car thoroughly and explains in detail as well as visually too. Having someone like this makes the whole F Car experience that much more enjoyable. Mainly because you don't feel like your paying a F Car tax just because of the Badge on your car.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

has the op mentioned where he is from or lives? having info on his region will help him out. we can help him narrow his search.

7. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Calabasas, California.

8. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I am trying to avoid the f-car tax. That is why I am vetting mechanics.

9. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Damien is the best, hands down.
    Eugenio's sock puppet promoting him from their shop was uncalled for, his work should speak for itself. Damien would never stoop that low and in fact Damien has come out in the middle of the night to help a stranded Queen Mother (see Steve, SRSLusso's post). Actions speak louder than words.

10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    The ferrari tax mostly shows up in parts prices. The same parts, one in a yellow box and the other from Napa can be vastly different in price. The older cars are easier to cross reference parts for, as they get newer parts do get more Ferrari specific.

The other major way to cut down on the ferrari tax is to educate your self as much as you can about the car you end up with. People who only know how to right checks and don't know a solenoid from a muffler bearing seem to be more prone to "excessive repair bills"

11. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Have you talked to Craig at FastCars yet ? yes its a little far but worth it in my opinion.

12. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The place itself is impressive enough to visit if you are up for a cruise. They even have cars for sale. You also probably have a bunch of local cars and coffee events where you can talk to owners face to face. You are lucky to be where you are. You are in the sweetspot of the universe for car culture. Imagine being on an island and having only one choice for service?

13. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Where is this Damian located?

14. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I have, he was very nice.

15. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    He is at Calabasas Luxury Motorsports. Parkway Calabasas exit off the 101.

16. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Thank you.

17. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #42 Kevin Rev'n, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
  19. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

The fact he is convenient is a big plus. Hopefully he is an honest mechanic.

20. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well you cant ask him that. Time to super size your subscription here and ask the other SoCal region F-Chatters to Pm you their experiences.

21. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Honest, yes but in all things Ferrari you'll feel the parts costs.
    Damian will explain things clearly and free of BS

I also believe he is a Sponsor here

23833 Ventura Blvd
    Calabasas 91302
    phone: 818-223-8815

22. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

My mechanic interviews the customer. He's sort of like the Ferrari soup nazi.

23. 360blue

360blue Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2007
    Hancock Park
    Full Name:
    adil
    My experience with Damien extends to both 360 and now to 2 430s. Over these cars and 6 years I have always found him honest, knowledgeable and forth right. A real English gent! I have traveled across the city for him, and I will do it again. When you are stuck, he will be there for you no matter where and what hour. That old world service just does not exist any where. Adil

24. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    I thought he was a Kiwi ?

25. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    This whole car thing has had it's tentacles growing all over this forum for quite a while - must be a really big decision - the car, the mechanic, the acne medication......

What to do? :D