Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 477 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Yeah, I don't see what looked squirrelly.

Nice piece of driving!

What's the hose about? Directed cooling to a piece of instrumentation? Not a production version?

Anyway, the car and driver looked quite competent tho we know nothing of the conditions.

SV

2. schumacher12345

schumacher12345 Karting

Jun 3, 2004

Only advantage P1 has 400PS.

12C GT3 weighs 300kg less, has more downforce, better brakes, racing suspension and uses slicks.

3. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    #11903 kevin956, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The video shows a qualifying lap of the GT3 race car version of the MP4-12C at the 2014 Nurburgring 24 hour race. This was the pole winning time. The car is a full GT3 race car prepared by Doerr Motorsport. This one set a time of 8:10 at the hands of Kevin Estre and a team car set a time of 8:18. As others have noted, the N24 track uses both the Nordscleife and the GP circuit, so the time isn't comparable to times around just the Nordschliefe. The cars were fast, but fragile. Neither McLaren finished. The pole sitting car didn't make it 8 hours and the team car went out just after 12 hours (if memory serves, the fly by wire throttle linkage failed).

For what its worth, Doerr ran one McLaren in 2013 - it failed to finish the first lap when its engine blew up. Regulations have a great deal to do with balance of performance and specific regulations from year to year in this particular race. In 2013, the McLaren qualified 23 seconds slower than in 2014 and behind a gaggle of Porsche, BMW, Audi and Aston Martin cars.

In 2012, three McLarens were entered. One crashed out less than 4 hours in. The others dropped out with technical issues - one ran less than 2 hours and one just under 4 hours.

I believe that is the total of the McLaren experience in the N24. I applaud the effort and respect the fast lap that Kevin Estre set this year, but I'd be reluctant to use the McLaren results at the N24 race as evidence of a race-tested and proven platform.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Wasn't this weekend.

BMW broke that "record" by 11s.

In the race that car did poorly.

5. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yeah, you might not fully understand how the car operates. And having more downforce isn't always a positive, hence the reason you can reduce the drag it causes with the P1.

>8^)
    ER

6. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    Fully agree with schumacher12345 here. The influence of DRS on NS times will be far, far less significant than any single one of the following: weight, downforce levels, the balance of that downforce, and (especially) slick tires.

Even with a 400-hp advantage, I don't think a stock P1 can come close to the NS times of that 12C GT3. As Pirelli said, power is nothing without control...

7. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    The idea of owning such a car like McLaren will only be experienced by owners really, it's a small company and they so serious about customers satisfaction I may dreamt owing an F1 so I may emotionally involved with McLaren since childhood.

But I'm honest to say it's one if not the best exotic car factory i dealt with.

I thought Bugatti ownership is the mark of satisfaction and it is one of the best really, but McLaren done a great job without the mega resources.

Now do I know the P1 track record maybe yes maybe no :) but even if i didn't know the records that's not the reason I bought my P1 nor I remember any talks about any ring times when I paid my first deposit.

It's sad really that some members making it a fight and insult each other and get banned for no reason.

I'm here because I own and love Ferrari but i do own other cars too and if someone dislike my car hell yes no problem I'm happy he is the one bothering him self disliking my car.

Funny thing I thought the Viper Vs. Corvette thing is brutal but I guess it's not easy here too lol.

Mbn

8. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    a road legal P1 will never be faster than a race prepped GT3 car.

9. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Haha. As if 400 horsepower is no big deal on a high speed track. It takes a little more than 30 seconds to get down that final straight by itself, let alone all of the other high-speed portions of the track, where extra power and deployable aero would help tremendously.

Ignoring the obvious benefit of power, the biggest thing you are forgetting is that the P1 was designed and built without the constraints of a rulebook. The active hydro-pneumatic suspension, active aero, multiple traction/stability control systems etc. simply aren't available to a rule-bound racecar.

10. schumacher12345

schumacher12345 Karting

Jun 3, 2004
    Please give me complete P1 breakdown and its advantages over gt3 race car.
    For your second sentence I ain't even going to bother.

just to help you a bit

Hockenheim short
    gt3 58 seconds
    918 weissach 1:06.30

Hockenheim GP
    adac gt3 1:38
    918 weissach 1:48.5

11. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    918 =/= P1

;)

Also Hockenheim =/= Nurburgring.

12. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Thanks for the detailed clarification.

Shame they are having so many issues.

13. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I am fine with McLaren fanboys claiming P1 is quicker than a 918. But claiming it is faster than a GT3 racecar is just ridiculous. Some of you guys don't understand how a racecar relates to a roadcar, even if that roadcar is dubbed a 'hypercar'.

14. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #11914 DreamCarrera, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    +1

The claims here just keep getting more and more incredulous. Now, not only is the P1 faster around a racing circuit than a 918 but it is now(according to certain McLaren fans here) faster than a genuine GT3 sanctioned race car. I'll stick by my previous comments that the postings here by the McLaren fans are embarrassing. The next thing we will be told is that the P1 can lap a track faster than Ferrari's current F1 car. And, if you question this assertion, well then, you'll simply be told that you are ignorant of the workings of the glorious P1.

Peleton(Erik), please educate us on the magic that is the P1 which you are evidently privy to...apparently this car is able to defy the laws of physics(at least based on current technologies). Seriously, convince me and I myself will become a McLaren fan, otherwise you will continue to sound foolish here. Hint: simply stating the factory showed me this secret video DOES NOT count...nor do your claims of the P1's gimmicky technologies being able to do magic.

We are at the point that McLaren not only needs to continue to develop the P1 beyond the capabilities of the 918(which they have not to this day IMHO), but rather they now need to develop the P1 beyond the point of development stated by their shills here(NR lap time of 6.3X) otherwise they can never release a NR lap time, otherwise their ruse will be revealed. Hence, I predict a NR laptime for the P1 will NEVER officially be released...but we all knew that.

P.S. Porsche may or may not have shown me a video in which their final iteration of the 918 lapped the NR in 6.23...When I inquired about purchasing a 918, Porsche showed me this secret video...that is all I can say at this time.

15. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Keep in mind that the fan boy hasn't seen any video footage or proof of any kind, he's admitted that he hasn't seen the P1's lap and that his "facts" regarding the lap time are based on hearsay and nothing more.

16. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Interesting...due to his bravado, I believed that he saw an actual video of the record lap. Rest assured, I didn't believe his claims...

17. RUPKO

RUPKO Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 30, 2014
    Sir Carrera, you do know that the 918 has now been delayed from a Nov build date to Jan.

18. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    +1. How about a claim that NASA is using the P1 as their next spaceship LOL

19. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't be fooled. He hasn't seen any more footage of the lap than you or I.

20. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Been reading the last few pages....Interesting......

In light of all the current chatter; once again, McLaren, and their P1 had an opportunity to put their money with their mouth is, and declined.

Both the P1 and LaFerrari were invited to participate in Motor Trends best Driving Car, and declined (or at least to compare it directly against the 918, if not all the cars). This is per Motor Trend. Here's the quote:

"It's all you're likely to see of a 918 on-track. Maybe not if you're driving a McLaren P1 or Ferrari LaFerrari, BUT WE WOULDN'T KNOW BECAUSE THEY BOTH DECLINED OUR INVITATIONS."

Read more: 2014 Best Driver's Car Bonus: First-Gen Mazda MX-5 Miata, Porsche 918 Spyder - Motor Trend

It's amazing, how one car always claims to be the fastest when no one else can verify it. And even when it is reported slower, it's with "friendly" English publications, appearing to protect it by not officially releasing it's numbers (as of yet). But let's not go off on English publications, losing focus.

The point is; the McLaren P1 was invited by an American publication, and declined. And quite frankly, I'm not surprised and sorta expected this. I said previously, you'll never see the P1 given to an American publication for an EXTENSIVE test.

I don't knock or mention Ferrari, cause LaFe didn't make the ridiculous claims and boast (nor continued to do so) as McLaren and their P1's many unproven, unfounded claims.

And let's keep in mind, this is not just about speed or lap times. It's about DRIVING DYNAMICS. Here's what ace driver Randy Pobst had to say about DRIVING the 918:

"Randy seemed convinced as well. "Fantastic! Oh my god, good job. Way better than the last one," were the first words out of his mouth when the door swung open. They were followed by, "I turned everything off and just drove." No safety net in a nearly 900-horsepower car? Well, "It scared me once or twice, but just keep pushing hard and it comes right down. I had everything off and I wasn't worried. I just manned up. I said, 'Screw it. I can drive this thing.' This car just works. IT'S A SWEETHEART TO DRIVE."

Read more: 2014 Best Driver's Car Bonus: First-Gen Mazda MX-5 Miata, Porsche 918 Spyder - Motor Trend

Why couldn't we get this expert opinion/counterpoint on the P1 (with out even getting into lap times--since those are apparently taboo subjects now), amongst the current FeChat bluster?

21. RUPKO

RUPKO Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 30, 2014
    What is it Sir Mavin that you dislike about the McLaren P1?

22. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Among the big 3, Ferrari is Ferrari, doesn't matter whether the LaFerrari is the fastest, it will always be consider the top dog. I think most can agreed on that.

What's up for grab is 2nd place. Between the 918 and the P1.

Porsche, like Ferrari had history on their side, and the proven performance to back it up. But unlike Ferrari, Porsche has always been open to instrument testing on their cars, and the 918 has been setting speed records left and right, only limited by how fast people can test it. Most will consider it a legitimate #2.

That leaves McLaren P1 at the unenviable spot of #3, i.e. last place. Yes McLaren had the legendary F1, but that was a one off project and the P1 has nothing to do with the F1 other than the badge on the hood. They are considered the new kid on the block, the 'be different' crowd. It could have moved up to 2nd place had they release numbers to back up the car, like Porsche, but they have decided to go the mythical route of the Ferrari and well, McLaren is not Ferrari and that choice is now backfiring on them. Yes, there are quite a few vocal owners and fans that stand by McLaren's side, but without hard numbers, will most people agree with them even when most of them seems very credible?

Reality is, McLaren is at risk of being booted off the main stage and pushed off to the side stage inline with Pagani and the likes. Not a bad place to be as Pagani are being lusted by many, but I believe they prefer to stay on the main stage and be a credible manufacturer.

23. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Funny

I was just wondering, if anyone else thought it was ironic/odd, amongst all the talk of 6:30-ish Ring Times, and being 'faster than a GT3 Racer', etc.--especially here, McLaren once again declined a H2H opportunity against other (ahem) Run In The Mill--Super, and Hyper Cars to help support, bolster those claims?

SMH

24. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Neither Ferrari nor McLaren have an example of their hypercar in their US test fleet, so it is no surprise they both declined the invitation from MotorTrend.

Of course neither one is struggling to sell all their cars either, so it's not surprising they don't need the publicity.

>8^)
    ER

25. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    Porsche has sold over 800 918s so far... this is credibly confirmed by a guy over at Rennteam whose 918 is around #770 or #780, IIRC. So, it's pretty obvious they are not struggling at anything.