Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 480 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RUPKO

RUPKO Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 30, 2014

2. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    McLaren make a specific request to each P1 customer to not allow their car to participate in any magazine/TV/internet test.

Don't know what Kris Singh is trying to achieve as the P1/LF/918 would easily beat his Pagani around a track. It sounds like he wants more Instagram followers. I'm betting that no lap times will ever materialise.

3. jimkRFC

jimkRFC Rookie

Dec 6, 2013
    Did I say they didn't time the cars? I said they might have done it. However, you and several other posters (Timothy Moffatt, xku807 and Boyko23) all seem to know for sure that they did and that the results would be published in two or three weeks:

Since these times are still unpublished then perhaps you could ask your insiders why not? But since it hasn't happened and they were asked not to record them then it's extremely unlikely to happen. As was pointed out when asked Ian said that it is likely BOTH companies would want to "ensure that their cars were in the best possible position to record their optimum lap time" - this is just a named employee of the magazine, in a public forum stating his opinion though. Not a patch on your insider...

Yes it is, like Top Gear did with Nick Masons Enzo.
    If manufacturers either don't have the cars (like MCl don't have customer spec P1s) or the manufacturers won't let them test the cars (lafe), then they have to ask the owners for a loan car.

It doesn't and I didn't say it did.

Or they had the P1 and 918 on the track together and followed each other around....

It's not denial, as I've said previously, I will never own any of these cars and it matters not a bit to me which is quickest.

However, the claim that the numbers would be published keeps getting posted and its looking like rubbish - they won't (though I wish they would). Like the claim the 918 is as fast in high down force bends when the Top Gear numbers show it isn't (lower peak G) which you've claimed yourself in your initial rant. Or the McL had to reduce the number from 500 - they didn't. Go find a McL quote they were making 500 P1s.

You, and others, are making these claims and backing them up with nothing. Driftwithme got called out about not owning a P1, he backed it up with the required photo of his interior with the browser showing Porsche pyjamas. Those of you making these claims need to put some proof and not just "my unnamed contact claims this that and the other.."

A bit like McL with the NS time before anyone mentions it......

4. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    To be fair, Ferrari receive their fare share of criticism here and the majority of the owners that post are honest about their experiences with the company, dealers and the cars, be it good or bad.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-discussion-not-model-specific-sponsored-algar-ferrari/461255-ferrarichat-killed-my-dream.html

5. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    "Backing them up with nothing" :confused: :confused: :confused:

P1 production "limited to 500" units reported by several publications:

McLaren P1 Limited to 500 at $1.2 Million Each
    McLaren P1 limited to 500 units, to cost around 1.2M USD
    New details of McLaren P1: also limited to 500 units

Confirmation that the demand wasn't there by Jim G who was at the factory and was clearly told that they were planning to build 500 cars:

Wake up and pay closer attention in future.

6. jimkRFC

jimkRFC Rookie

Dec 6, 2013
    #11981 jimkRFC, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    Which one of those is a direct statement from McL then? Oh right none.....

So we do believe an named quote from some posters (Napolis) but not an unnamed source from other (Peloton25)? Why?

One is a direct competitor to McL and thus would have reason to be negative about McL. plus, other posters have firmly stated they were only ever given a "not more then 500" figure. The other is long time supporter of the brand with a well established link to the factory. This might incline him to a pro bias.

With no solid evidence to support either then both need to be treated as hearsay, until confirmed.

7. driftwithme

driftwithme Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    All video reviews favor the p1 over the 918
    Almost all people who had a choice of both chose the p1
    The majority of people who drove both, prefer the p1.

This isn't about laptimes. Its about what people like. McLaren produced a peoples car.

Ron dennis for president

8. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    #11983 Mbn, Sep 25, 2014
    Official claim no I was told by Mclaren first concept the idea not building more than 500 they didn't not say they will build 500 and demand is there for someone like me who saw the list (I know few names) they easy could sell well over 500 and I would bought two P1s.

Yet they stand by their words.

And I'm glad they decided to build only 375 :)

Wake up and follow actually owners and people who actually know than assume or read and linking unofficial webpages.

Mbn

9. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Agreed.

It appears most Porsche and Ferrari owners that post on these type of websites are very open and honest about their cars and experiences. Whereas, most McLaren owners--that do the same--seem to regurgitate the Kool-Aid (even the clearly unproven stuff) at a much higher percentage. They also appear loathe to ever criticize their vehicles against the company or internet Boosters (paid or not) party line.

Obviously, this is not absolute. But it appears to be the trend.

10. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    As I said earlier; I wonder if people see the irony, humor or duplicity, that we have people here who claim to be keyed into McLaren--telling us it can run a 6:30-sh Ringtime, and beat a genuine GT3 car around that track on one hand. While on the other hand/at the same time, McLaren is declining extensive, instrumented test, and/or declining H2H's against your standard Run In The Mill Hyperbrids to help demonstrate this.

Go Figure!

11. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    The irony is: You actually like, would want a P1.

But like me; you just don't like all the unfounded bluster heaped upon one vehicle, and against one or two others--without seemingly any basis, thought or perspective. Nothing agaisnt the car.

Anyway/speaking about that: What you say makes a lot of sense. And we'll see if McLaren will send them a P1 for a full instrumented test, or leaves things as they are, so MT can only quote their favorable, but unofficial (at least by Motor Trend) test numbers?

My guess says they won't (at least a fully instrumented or driving/dynamic test), and things will stay the same.

McLaren has too good (or bad, depending on how you see it), a internet campaign now to change.

I hope they prove this wrong.

12. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    It's obvious, that various news sources were at a press event by McLaren (besides McLaren's own wire and press statement they released). So I don't understand why some people appear to be in denial and fail to believe you. It's pretty self explanatory. Here's the opening line on GT Spirit.

"McLaren held a private viewing of the P1 supercar in Beverly Hills last night WHERE MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE HYPER CAR WERE RELEASED."

Nuff Said

13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Really not "Nuff Said" because I also attended that very same private viewing in Beverly Hills and the official word on P1 production number had not changed since Paris three months earlier. A lot of publications got this wrong - errors in journalism are rampant and parroting of bad information happens all the time.

>8^)
    ER

14. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm not surprised that Mbn disagrees with me as he's spent $1.2M+ on his P1 - he has a huge financial interest in McLaren and, therefore, he is biased. If I spent that much money on a car I wouldn't admit to it being a sales flop either.

On the other hand, Jim G is not biased. Why would he lie about what he was told at the factory? What would he gain from doing so? He's not trying to convince us that the 918 is better than the P1 (or vice versa).

There's also the there's the small matter of every single media outlet using the phrase "limited to 500 units" when the P1 was unveiled :rolleyes:

15. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh, a lot of publications got it wrong? That's unfortunate. Who was at fault - the various publications or McLaren?

The original production target was 500 cars - I didn't make that number up. It was widely reported by countless media outlets last year. Napolis went to the McLaren factory and he was told personally that McLaren would build 500 P1's. In the end, the demand for 500 P1's wasn't there so the final production number was reduced to 375.

Now, way back when I was saying McLaren had no hope of finding 500 buyers why did no one correct me and say that "it doesn't matter as they never actually intended to build 500"?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141932025-post74.html
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142109846-post6269.html
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142137955-post6887.html

Why didn't a single person correct me back then?

16. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC

Napolis is not a direct competitor. The P1 is not even in the same ballpark as the SCG003 price wise.

17. timothymoffat

timothymoffat Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #11992 timothymoffat, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am NOT an "insider" nor do I converse directly with any such individuals. Look at the attached tweet from Jethro Bovingdon. Sounds pretty black and white that timing was done.

Please understand that I, like yourself, enjoy all three of these cars quite equally. What becomes tiresome is some individuals extreme allegiance to their preferred brand. The Mclaren and Porsche camps in particular seem to have a few individuals that like to mud-sling the competition rather than stick to PROVEN facts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    This is what we were talking about. It's kinda uncanny.

It appears many internet posting P1 owners, and big fans, seemingly (and I say respectfully) lack proper perspective when discussing their purchase or favorite car. I don't think ownership should preclude that (proper perspective) quite honestly. Facts are facts (or at least common sense and proper deduction/reasoning). So, I believe you, and Jim G. to. Lol

Funny. It wouldn't bother many people if their car didn't sell out, as long as THEY LIKE IT. Who cares!? They're almost arbitrary numbers, mumbo jumbo to many of us. Many times not reaching goal, actually helps with exclusivity and retail--at least for the customer (which maybe the case here with the P1)?

Of course, only the manufacturer's know their bottom line and marketing/sales strategy (i.e., more cars/lower price, or less cars/higher price, etc., to reach their $$ bottom line and targets).

19. jimkRFC

jimkRFC Rookie

Dec 6, 2013
    Must be a different Jim Glickenhaus running a P4/5C in the N24 then..

Timothy, that tweet is pretty definitive, however until they print the numbers then any one claiming the result went either way deserves to be treated with doubt. I never said timing definately didn't happen - just that I don't they'll publish them. If those with insiders want to put up some evidence then great but they don't have any (yet).

20. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thanks

This is true and I believe it, and remember them saying this.

However, now it appears they won't bring out the times, and changed their tunes (if you read Ian's comments on another site). I guess McLaren convinced them not to release the times (dunno)??

I wonder if someone will ask, challenge him/them on this?

21. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    lol calm down.

Your quoting your own posts lol and the countless media you talk about and linked few estimated the car to be 800hp yet I knew day one from inside McLaren it's 727hp lol.

And I don't care what others heard nor I will question them I know first hand the 500 wasnt the target number and from your own above post 'was widely reported by countless media"

Not McLaren and no one said to me we will build 500 when I saw the concept.

Now facts is less P1 means better exclusivity, P1 GTR program :D and many more to come.

I just witnessed at the factory an F1 LM sold for something like £22-£26 million.

As easy as a phone call, so if they wanted which they again never claimed to build 500 they would be gone by now.

Now relax you talk and have the right to express for sure but there is people out there knows and knows way more ....they don't need to quote mags or people.

They can just pick the phone and call the top exotics factories and get any questions answered.

Mbn

22. RUPKO

RUPKO Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 30, 2014
    Sir Modena, do you have reliable contacts at Porsche, Ferrari and/or McLaren?

23. s-mario

s-mario Karting

Jan 17, 2013
    #11998 s-mario, Sep 25, 2014
    The reason for McLaren to may be request that (already posted earlier) is not that hard to fathom as Harry Metcalfe from Evo revealed:

“@MrRobFenn: @harrym_evo @TurboTerrific9 Has anyone timed one on a track versus the Mac yet?” Yes, @evomagazine & 918 was quicker than P1.."

https://twitter.com/harrym_evo/status/514844652374360064

24. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
  25. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That's what the drones from Porsche would have us believe.

They probably also believe that any old hack should be able to jump in the P1 and drive it to its very limits in an extremely short period of time, and while that might be the case for the videogame-like experience of the 918, the P1 has a steeper learning curve and is therefore more rewarding when you get it right.

>8^)
    ER