iPhone classes for older people | FerrariChat

iPhone classes for older people

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 410SA, Jul 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I have been working with a client who is developing classes for adults designed to teach them how to use their iPhones effectively.
    His research from the major cell phone providers shows there are several million iPhone users over 40 who all have data plans but rarely use any data from their service providers.

His courses are designed, at the basic level, to teach older people who really did not grow up with personal technology, how to text, email, use voicemail, the Contacts app and the Calendar app, as well as showing them how to go online for information, travel bookings, financial stuff (like online banking) and shopping, to make their lives easier. A big part of the course will be based on teaching them how to use Siri for most of these basic functions, especially for older people with shaky hands and poor eyesight.

He plans to have live classes with no more than 20 people in a class, where a trainer will go through a 2 hour, hands-on session and demonstrate all of the basic features available on an iPhone right out of the box. The classes will be casual and social, and he will sort like people (from an iPhone usage pov) into classes via questionnaire that will be filled in at the online registration process.

He will also eventually offer online video streamed versions of the live classes for students who don't live in an area where he will offer classes.

He is also developing more advanced versions of the classes as well as a class designed to teach people how to find useful apps in the App Store.
    He will also eventually create sibling courses for Android.

I'm doing the back end of the company for him and working with the initial setup and website creation.

He has had a terrific response to the idea so far and his 1st class is scheduled in early August in L.A.

Any thoughts?

2. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I can't comment on the behind the scenes stuff but this is a big deal. My dad is a site supervisor/foreman and they are pushing tech on him as well. I had to teach him a whole bunch of stuff regarding his smart phone. Before this he used a flip phone for phone calls and nothing else (including no texting). Now he takes pictures and emails them directly to individuals and much more.

That is the only obstacle I see in this case. New gen has a good concept of it and can teach parents. Not everyone has this luxury and some people are old school and take classes for it + hands on.

3. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Spent the weekend teaching my 68 year old mom how to use the new iPad Mini I bought her. Sounds like something that would be in demand.

4. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The first live class is scheduled for Woodland Hills CA on Aug 2. It will be interesting to see the response to the class material. It is almost full at this point

5. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I'm a Verizon sales rep. We give free classes 3 days a week in our stores. One class in the mornings is for Apple and then we do one in the afternoon for Android operating systems. We also have started a tablet class as well as a more advanced class. I think you got a great idea though. There is a lot of people out there I see daily struggling with the basics of cell phones. Good luck with things. I hope it works out for you.

6. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I would put less effort into the online portion of it and focus mainly on live training. The audience that is looking for smartphone training and tablet training are quickly turned off by online videos. Honestly if they don't know how to use their smartphone, they won't know how to login and watch the videos online - it's over their heads.

I built an app for teaching the iPhone, it wasn't very successful (of course we all have different ideas of success, but it wasn't worth the effort).

I've been in tech training all my life.

7. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  8. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My grandma is 80 and she had a free android phone for the last few years that she hated. The last straw was when it deleted all of her contacts during a crisis. We got her an iPhone and she loves it. Picked it right up. Even got her doing group texting with our whole family. Amazing how easy the apple devices are for children and older people to use, very intuitive.

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #9 Schatten, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    True, but there is a demand for additional learning; I've been tossing the idea around as well.

Many local libraries also offer tech classes for seniors.

11. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The test classes have gone extremely well.
    Great responses. especially from the age 65+ participants
    The company's website goes live on October 1 (hopefully.)
    Initial locations will be in the LA area, expanding to the Bay Area, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Anywhere where there are largish retirement communities.
    They are seeking a Florida partner too for that expansion. That is a very large market, but it will need a full presence, including administration and marketing in-state.

They have developed three iPhone courses so far - an Essentials class for true newbies to the iPhone, an Intermediate class teaching some nuances, like conference calls, attachments to texts and emails, managing settings and expanding on internet interaction, and an APP class teaching how to download and set up apps, recommending certain essential apps and teaching how to manage battery life by closing and deleting apps.

There is also a law profession specific course being developed as well as a couple of specific courses like finance apps and Photography with the iPhone

12. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The company's website went live yesterday.
    iCamp
    This is going to be interesting. Their take on the tech education market is that there are very few, if any, tech industry entrepreneurs paying any real attention to the seniors market,because most of those entrepreneurs are under 40 and literally disregard the market for people over 40

13. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Glad its going well, the trainers must have the patience of a saint. My hats off to them!

-dsd

14. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    A relative mentioned this to me years back & thought this was a good business idea.

I probably should have pursued but I do not have patience to teach, so I was short sighted.

15. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The trainers are mostly women with teaching experience. The ones who taught K to 4th grade are the best. They have the patience and the ability to repeat their lesson in a slightly different way.

16. R Singh

R Singh Rookie

Nov 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rajmehar Lamba

Dear 410SA,

If you do happen to see this I would like to get in contact with you about a 1995 Ferrari F50 that you sold around late 2008. I'm praying that you see this.

Kindest regards
    R singh