Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 481 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timothymoffat

timothymoffat Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Tim
    And of course you know this from your vast experience behind the wheel of both cars.

2. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    P1 is out of this race, so who is winner LaFerrari or 918?

3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    At this moment in time I would say 918 but in the long term I think the LaFerrari will be the one to get the glory for its purity and seamless hybrid integration

4. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    Pel,
    Tell me seriously, do you have any dignity left?

5. jimkRFC

jimkRFC Rookie

Dec 6, 2013
    Is it a different Jim Glickenhaus running the P4/5C that competes against McLaren then?

I realise that you hadn't claimed inside knowledge but others have, of the top gear and EVO, tests. I never said that timing didn't happen, just that it's very unlikely the times will be published. I also feel that unless the claims can be substantiated then it's pointless going on about them. Metcalfs tweet is quite interesting and I'm surprised more wasn't made of it, but again it seems at odds with the selection of the P1 as EVOs track car of choice.

EVO and Top gear really should just publish the times...

6. timothymoffat

timothymoffat Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There's obviously a reason for both TG and EVO not publishing lap times. What that exact reason is may never be revealed. I'd bet a condition of cars being loaned to these publications is not publishing certain aspects of a story if a manufacturer isn't happy with a result.

There's definitely some behind-the-scenes shenanigans going on.

7. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
  8. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thank you for this.

It's funny how certain people who post here, who should know this, apparently don't or have forgotten it.

Of course, evidence and facts (or the lack of it), has proven not to be enough for many here anyway.

Nonetheless, there appears/maybe a blatant British Cover up going on--as speculated (at least with some in their media), particularly if you look at recent comments from an Evo staffer on another site. I'll leave it at that. Of course, others will try to explain or defend this, or just flat out ignore it.

Once again; thanks!

9. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    You are nothing more than an "unpaid" shill. Pathetic.

10. vlad0

vlad0 Karting

Sep 11, 2013
    The performance difference is really small compared to the difference in their design/looks ... to me the LaF looks way better than the 918 in every aspect :) But that's obviously subjective so.. I guess track times will be the final decision factor on which one is the greatest.

11. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have spoken with enough people who have driven both cars to be confident in those words. Jay Leno, in fact, was one such individual, and he's got a pretty wide base of experience with cars like these. So whether you care for my opinions or not, you can probably trust in his.

There's definitely a reason you will find a McLaren P1 in his garage (along with a Carrera GT) and no 918 Spyder. Maybe he'll get one when the price inevitably drops to around $500K.

>8^)
    ER

12. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC

You mean in the N24? Wasn't those races a blow out win by the P4/5C over the Macs? I think McLaren should be more worry about Subaru as their direct competitors, even the Subarus finished the race.

People who can afford a P1 might not be able to afford a SCG003, which is why they will not be a direct competitor, SCG003 plays at a higher level.

13. driftwithme

driftwithme Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    918s dropping to 500k, yikes

Although it is produced in high numbers and priced way higher than its predecessor, i wouldn't be surprised if that happens

14. RUPKO

RUPKO Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 30, 2014
    Sir Modena, this type of insulting can result in you being banned. Please be more respectful.

15. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Don't forget they only made approximately 90 McLaren F1's and that was over many different configurations. They are now making 375 P1's. That is roughly 4 times the amount. Doesn't matter if its 375 or 500 but the entire media wouldn't print something if they didn't believe it to be true. If it was BS or rumours or simply wrong only some would print it. But when nearly every car magazine printed it there must have been some basis for the 500 quote. And Top Gear and EVO will probably have been told stories that shine a negative light on the P1 will equate to no more cars for review. Ferrari have tried that in the past but have always backed down eventually in the face of lack of marketing cut-through that comes from partial or full media-bans. As for the claims that customers have been asked to not loan their cars for magazine testing, you are telling me that these claims are real, for example customers cant sell their La Ferraris, which they have been requested not to do. They can and they will if they are important clients they can do whatever they want, and Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari still need to sell next years production they will eventually come calling, offering....... Sheik Mohammed will still get offered his La Ferrari replacement in 5 years time in gold with the red rims no matter what.

OTOH I had a debate for a bit of context with Jim G about these supercars at one point where I suggested that for these limited edition supercars they should make a version that simply doesn't contain an engine since so many of them will be purchased by people to put in their glass garages to be shown off, look at my ENZO aren't I a rich w*nker sory poseur na na na na and to that extent look at how many enzo's, f50s, et al have zero miles. It would certainly save a huge amount of pointless maintenance costs. I wonder just how much of the discussion on this thread is pointlessly academic because the majority of these cars simply wont be driven?

16. driftwithme

driftwithme Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    p1 is already at 60% over msrp. I think thats partly to do with all the positive reviews.

17. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    recent postings got me inspired again, so made some calls today, while no definitive answers from the gentlemen homies in the periodicals industry..a faint rumor they 'heard' (not a fan of spreading rumors, but what the heck...) is an embargo/agreement of sort is/was in place and that there is a threshold before said findings are 'openly' discussed. It's anyone's guess the 'why's' 'when', but as usual, time will eventually reveal things. While all P1's LaF are sold, there still seems to be a lot of 'perception control' going on behind closed doors. Nothing new really, industry standard.

18. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    003 is ridiculous from the hardware and engineering perspective. I only have a vague recollection of its design based on early sketches, unlike you folks who have seen the latest, so I can't wait to see the finished machine

19. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    Each machine is incredible with their own strengths and weakness. It is a fantasy and a dream to own any of them. I've already explained my reasons numerous times in this crazy thread, my likes and dislikes for each car (ie none are 'perfect' in my mind, and all of them are well overpriced, especially P1, but understandable why they are priced as such given each companies biz structure), so I won't go there. But obviously, the stupidity that kept building and building, and now surrounding the machine that is P1, and not simply the car itself, is what I dislike most.

20. rezin23

rezin23 Karting

Aug 16, 2007
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The P1 will NEVER come close to the F1 in terms of price. The F1 was the last of it's kind, a truly analog drivers car, the P1 is the first of it's kind (hybrid super sports car).

I see no reason why the P1 should appreciate in price, it's successor will be better in every way. This is the same reason I see the 918 also depreciating. We'll have to see on the LaF...

21. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There was certainly a basis - McLaren at the time of the P1's reveal had not yet settled on a production figure but stated to those who inquired they would build no more than 500. Based on the reporting a lot of people clearly assumed that meant they would build 500, or maybe play the "one less" game like Ferrari and come out at 499, but that's not what McLaren had said at all.

When they finally announced the intended production number at Geneva about 6 months later it was 375 units. They haven't wavered from that and the fact they were noncommittal on the figure as of Sept 2012 should not be interpreted as a cut to the production figure that was never the actual figure to begin with.

>8^)
    ER

22. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    I know you're just kidding, trying to get a rise out of a few folks....RIGHT? wow...

23. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Agreed - an apples to apples comparison between the two cannot really be made from a valuation perspective. The current 8-figure values of most F1s certainly helps McLaren's image but we won't see a repeat of the things that got them there from the P1.

That said, current P1 transactions have occurred well above list price. I know of one car sold just a couple of weeks ago for roughly a $500K premium over its original price, and it took less than a week to find a buyer. Not sure whether there is a secondary market for the 918 yet considering you can still pick one up at list price if you're willing to wait for it to be built.

>8^)
    ER

24. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I'm not participating here to get a rise out of anyone. If they can't handle hearing the truth that's their problem.

>8^)
    ER

25. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    6 posts in and you're giving me a ban warning? :confused: