1967 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato (Leno, 26:40) | FerrariChat

1967 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato (Leno, 26:40)

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Sep 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFKxEcQ3r7k&list=UUQMELFlXQL38KPm8kM-4Adg]1967 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube[/ame]

2. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The secret is out…... great little cars

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Agreed, and one of very few front wheel drive cars I'd own
    I had never seen one with the US spec headlights, pretty neat!

Best,

Jack.

4. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    I'm very disappointed to hear all the "craps" that Jay Leno and Donald Osborne said in the first part of video about Gianni Lancia, who passed away some months ago.
    The story of the Marshall plan is completely unreal and the story about the resistence too. Please don't keep on to tell stories without basis...
    If you want to tell real stories provide documentary evidences before. They are all available here in Turin.

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Could you summarize the actual story?

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Love this little car, but I like the original Fulvia Coupé even more. An HF Fanalone is in my top 5 cars I have to own list.

7. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Rather than bash on the two guys that took the effort and time to make a video about Lancia why don't you summarize the "real story" for us.

Set the record straight so we can all learn more about Lancia.

8. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    As i already wrote here Gianni Lancia, 1924-2014
    mine are not opinions but facts. I spent one year to study the documents and i reported the results here:
    I finanziamenti americani del dopoguerra.
    So you could spend some minutes to make a quick translation with Google.
    By the way, i'm the admin of the viva.lancia.con forum.

9. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    For those who are idle, here is the translation:

The recent discovery of the book of the minutes of the Board of Directors of the Lancia allows a more detailed analysis of some aspects of the history of the Turin company compared to what has been written so far.*

Premise*
    In 1942, with the introduction of the new Civil Code, the Italian companies were regulated according to a new system.* Lancia & C., which until then was a S.A. corporation, turned into shareholder company and its share capital amounting to 50 million lire in 1941, is divided into shares with a nominal value of 10,000 lire. As the Civil Code still guaranteed anonymity shareholder, to date it is difficult to accurately reconstruct the shareholders, but we can attribute with certainty the 69% of the units to the family and Lancia Miglietti, 5% to the family Vaccarossi, and 2% to the family Bona. In the first few post-war years, we can also expect some shares held by families of Gatta and Carello. The war period, while difficult and troubled, allows Lancia to establish some business assets.*

In addition to the total reorganization of the company (offices, agencies and Italian branches), at this time are taken important decisions that will determine the future of the company. To do this, thanks to the efficient work done by the lawyer, Jappelli, who closed the establishments Bonneuil-sur-Marne (France) and Alperton (Great Britain) and its control of foreign companies. The loss of the factory in Addis Abeba is already assumed, while the opening in 1939 of the establishment of Bolzano will prove to be strategic in the course of the war. In addition, the company maintains intact its partnerships: 10% of Pinin Farina, 60% of Sabif and 80% of Fira.

At the end of the war, in 1946, the Management Board decides a recapitalization os needed to deal with the reconstruction and capital partners, and increases the share capital to 200 million lire without increasing the number of units, but enhanced values uniformly. The recapitalization happens annually until 1950, always using its own funds, as Lancia brings the share capital up to 1 billion lire, divided into 100,000 shares with a value of 10,000 lire each.

1950 is considered to be a happy year as the company not only reached a balanced budget for the first time since the end of the war, but also earnings are allocated to shareholders, possibly* 900 lire dividend per share. However, transactions in the post-war period would not have been possible without adequate and appropriate lines of credit. In addition to obtaining a loan from the Cassa di Risparmio di Torino of 100 million lire in 1947, Lancia decided to turn to Ex-Im Bank (Export-Import Bank) in Washington D.C. for a loan amount of $ 1.5 million (equivalent to 937.5 million lire) required for the purchase of raw materials: coal, oil and oil products, steel. The request was made possible by the Decree Law No. 891 of 9/11/47 approved by the Italian government.*

In 1945, the Ex-Im Bank was appointed by the United States Congress to grant loans to those American companies that could not or did not want to take the risk of credit due to the termination of the domestic demand for raw materials following the end of World War II. Consequently, the surplus of raw materials abroad was addressed well before the start of the ERP program. The Ex-Im bank loans granted for the purchase of commodities in all Western European countries that were occupied / annexed by Nazi Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia and Austria included, with the exception of Britain then. The appropriation in favor of Italy, approved by the Decree Law No. 891 of 9/11/47 was 100 million dollars.*

The European Recovery Program*
    The ERP (European Recovery Program) was a huge development plan decided by the Congress of the United States for Europe to rebuild countries, to make them work efficiently and then put back on their own autonomous economic cycle. To this end, the United States constituted the ECA (European Cooperation Administration), a government agency created to manage transactions and President Truman appointed P.G. Hoffman, former president of the Studebaker Corporation, as head of the agency. In negotiations with the European Ministers held in Paris, it was decided that every European government appoint its own agency to review the requests. The plan called for an initial coverage of $ 15 billion in the period divided in four years. The assignments were divided into grants (transfers free of charge) for commodities, such as grains, cotton, coal, oil and derivatives, steel, and loans (loans with fixed interest currency) for the purchase of equipment for various industries. For loans it was determined that the respective treasuries closet at the national central banks in an amount and a currency that loans in excess of $1 million are screened by the European OEEC (Organisation for European Economic Co-operation) at the headquarters of Paris and the American ECA in Washington D.C. before the assignment. The granting of loans assignments was contracted again to the Ex-Im Bank, while the IMI (Istituto Mobiliare Italiano) assumes the role of Italian counterpart.
    The ERP plan becomes operational in April 1948 and affected all countries of Western Europe, excluding Germany. The countries of the so-called communist bloc were not to benefit, but the USSR was to have compensation in grants, calculated separately, for their fundamental contribution in obtaining the victory over Germany. For the first year it would be better to consider the period May 1948-December 1949, as the most active and effective. Italy is the fourth European country to amounts allocated by the program, both of which grants loans, behind Britain, France and West Germany, as Germany was separated in 1949 and became the western sector of law beneficiary of the ERP program.*

In this period of time, due to some difficulties in the interpretation of the rules and in the formulation of requests, Italian companies in the engineering sector with 119 applications for loans received only 30 Italian industry grants, benefiting from a total of $ 26 million of loans in the first year of the program, a figure that represents 16% of the amounts paid.
    Lancia decided to adhere to the ERP like many other Italian industries and made an initial request in 1948 for a total of $ 500,000 (312.5 million lire), necessitating aluminum alloys and specialty materials; the second in 1949 for an amount of $ 800,000 (equal to 500 million lire) and the third in 1950 in the amount of $ 320,000 (equal to 200 million lire at the time), requiring equipment and machinery. In these two years the company had already completed the post-war reconstruction of the establishments and had confronted the heavy national crisis in the trucking industry caused the liquidation of the trucks by ARAR. It should be remembered that then 34% of the production Lancia was represented by the Esatau and that the sale of chassis-cabs was much more profitable than the two cars Aprilia and Ardea.
    Meanwhile, the American government, given the weak economic performance of some European countries, had planned to extend the period of the ERP program to all 1952 and to allocate more aid and loans. However,* at that time the government had a majority of Republicans in the congress, and the outbreak of the Korean War, with the consequent risk of a Third World War, put an end to the ERP program in the spring of 1951. Even so, the Italian industrial insisted with the Secretary of the Treasury Pella, through the president of Confindustria Angelo Costa, in obtaining an extension and still prepared requests, but everyone, including Fiat, received a negative response. The actual duration of the ERP program was 3 years and three months, and the amount invested was approximately 12.8 billion dollars in total, 1.2 billion of which were assigned to Italy.*

Conclusions*
    For a long time there has been talk of a fourth request for loans on the part of Lancia in the amount of $ 1.8 million, which would be carried out in January 1951. Of this last request, there is no trace in the book of records of the Board administration, not even on the agenda and this has probably contributed to the creation of legends, but it would have been impossible for the company, according to the statutes, not to mention in the minutes. But we can say that if the intention was not completed and was most likely because in the time between January and 1st April 1951 to submit an application and obtain financing. It should be noted that the request for that amount had to pass the scrutiny of the OEEC and the ECA before IMI distributes a loan, and any deposit in the Treasury of the equivalent in foreign currency at the Bank of Italy.*

However, many have taken for granted that the application was submitted and then rejected for various reasons that have contributed to deliberately paint with bleak affair. In the first place it is said that CIA agents at the USA embassy in Rome had announced in Paris that Gianni Lancia had joined the PCI after the war. This does not appear correct, rather completely absurd as the eldest son of one of the 5 most important families of Turin had no reason to take the card of the* PCI and in any case because neither was it documented in 1945, the year in which Gianni Lancia came of age, nor in 1946 as enrolled in the lists of PCI in Turin. Later it was said that the Lancia had tried to sell or buy steel in East Germany, an episode without credibility because East Germany was part of the communist bloc and therefore there was no possibility of taking or receiving something in return: neither money nor goods to the value. Besides Lancia did not need that*money, they had already obtained from banks and ERP, nor for materials because it could easily find sheet metal steel hot stamped on the national territory and steels with high carbon content from the USA, as had already occurred on a regular basis. Finally, it is also said that the Lancia family and members quarreled about what to do, a plausible event, but again without evidence in the minutes of the Board and unlikely, however, in the light of the positive results of the financial statements of both the 1950s and especially the 1951, when it reached 2.6 billion lire of profit, equal to almost double the previous year. But if there was a trace of this fourth request, it can only be in the archives of IMI.*

We thank for their cooperation:*
    Archival Fiat, Turin; Institute for the History of Resistance in Piedmont, Turin; A.Gramsci Foundation of Piedmont Institute, Turin; L.Einaudi Foundation, Torino; Centre for the Study P.Gobetti, Turin.*

Sources:*
    Journal of the Board Lancia & C. 1942-1955*
    Official Gazette, series 1947*
    Acts of the Constituent Assembly 1947-48*
    Chamber of Deputies, the historic section-talk:*
    Min.Sforza: Italian foreign policy after the ratification of the Treaty of Peace 1947*
    Hon. Scoccimarro: The streets of the financial recovery in 1947*
    Min. Tremelloni: The fund lire, using ERP, 1948-49*
    Hon. Malagodi: The Marshall Plan halfway, 1949*
    Min. Togni: The Marshall Plan and the Italian trade with foreign countries, 1949*
    Uff.Stampa CNCCG: ERP Italy: features of implementation, 1948*
    Uff.stampa MSA: Loans ERP, technique and procedure, 1948*
    Uff.stampa MSA: The ERP in Italy, 1952*
    ISE: Documents on the Marshall Plan, 1948*
    ISE: Documents on the Marshall Plan in the first year of implementation, 1949*
    Confindustria: letters of the President Angelo Costa, 1951*
    Various Authors and Amatori: La Storia della Lancia *1992*
    Various Authors: Le Carte Scoperte , 1990*
    Bottiglieri: History ANFIA , 1992*
    Romero: The United States in Italy: the Marshall Plan and the Atlantic Pact, 1994*
    Spagnolo: The Marshall Plan in Italy, an unfinished stabilization , 2001*
    Fauri: The Marshall Plan and Italy, 2010

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree. Big Lancia fan and love the Zagato bodied Aurelia but prefer the standard body for the Fulvia.

11. Kjell

Kjell Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Please show a picture of this Aurelia, I have never heard of this....

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    If the "Lancia Aurelia GT" book is correct, Zagato bodied three 3rd Series Aurelias in 1953, all for competition. There are pictures in the book, but I don't have a functional scanner at the moment.

13. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
  14. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Oh wow, I had never heard of it, but that is a spectacularly beautiful car!
    Did any survive?

Best,

Jack.

15. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    It's very similar in the shape to several Fiat 8V and Siata 1250 GTZ.
    No, any of the 3 built survived.

16. Kjell

Kjell Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Wow, love it. Nice to learn something new (every day if possible).......

17. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    #17 jippiejake, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Gorgeous Italian classic!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

19. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    #19 Prugna, Jun 2, 2016
  20. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Congrats!

21. jippiejake

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Just love it!!!!
    Wow, such a beautiful color...
    And now the question goes, where is a good place to get parts if needed?

22. jippiejake

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    #22 jippiejake, Sep 1, 2016
  23. jippiejake

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    #23 jippiejake, Mar 25, 2017
    I'm thinking of selling my car now.
    I originally bought it for the wife to have fun with but she did like after all.
    Oh well.
    I put about $15k into it this past year, plus the previous owner did another $10k himself.
    Its now in very tip-top condition..
    I just don't have enough garage space..
    I've been driving it to work this past week from Venice to Hollywood and back. So much fun. Maybe I will get a car lift to keep it..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    Is there a front bumper?

25. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Originally yes. It has been removed and turn signals body mounted.