Major Ferrari Rumors | Page 30 | FerrariChat

Major Ferrari Rumors

Discussion in 'F1' started by crinoid, Sep 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I thought he'd NEVER leave.
    ;)

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Do you guys drink XXXX? What's the brand of choice for the discerning Aussie inebriate? :)

My Aussie relatives prefer wine and work in television... I'm starting to wonder if they're really genuine Aussies. I've never seen Facebook photos of them wearing outback hats or sharpening huge knives either. :confused:

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't drink alcohol.

4. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I didn't know that. :) Never have or gave it up at some point?

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Not specifically directed at your comment Andrew but these days it seems that not drinking requires more explaining than drinking does.

6. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's not that I've never tasted it, in fact, I got tipsy on sake once, but I've never liked the taste of alcoholic beverages, obviously apart from sake, so I never took it up. Sometimes, if someone's handing out a port after dinner, I might grab one....but that's about it. My usual answer to "what can I get you?" is either water, a lemon squash or coffee.

I've never smoked or tried drugs either, which just proves that clean living doesn't help! You didn't think I was only a misfit on fchat, did you?

lol...quite true!

7. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I often have doubted Chapman's engineering ability for the weakness of his cars.

Brabham built cars in his era , WON many races and titles, his cars didn't fall apart and the drivers enjoyed driving them.

I also preferred Ferrari's direction they took to win, more power .... also their cars didn't fall apart.

And while I think every right minded person would agree that Briatore did a heinous thing I have to wonder at the mind of the driver who did the deed rather than get the FIA to go through the radio messages to find the coded message to crash the car and take the team to task ... I mean, where is he today ?

8. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Dragoni was given a very different face in Forghieri's book on Ferrari where he had great things to say about Dragoni, personally I believe your take, Dragoni was parochial to the end, he wanted an Italian to win at all costs .... mind you Surtees was full of himself as well and the Old Man loved him because he spoke Italian and JS won despite Dragoni's best efforts

9. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    oh you poor deluded 348 worshipping sissy, we don't argue .... we agree about different outcomes of the common issue ..... simply put, we are always right :p

10. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, I can see how that's the case sometimes - I get questioned sometimes for non-alcoholic choices too. I was just mildly curious. :eek:

I'm not a huge drinker either. I've had about 3 drams of whiskey and one ale in all of the last 3 weeks. Firstly, I like to remain sober so that I can drive and, secondly, despite me being a real lightweight that gets inebriated very easily, I can't really afford to drink much alcohol anyway. As aforementioned, I tend to like traditional British ales/bitters or smooth spirits such as whiskey, cognac, or port.

Usually I drink either Sprite or coffee at home. Often alcohol-free beer (e.g. Becks Blue) when out and about.

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    So, I was right , .......... a sissy :)

BTW I don't drink either, by choice, I love champagne, shiraz and merlot but rarely touch the stuff for no other reason than to retain the few brain cells I have left :eek:

12. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hehehe - guilty as charged. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    As a Sky watcher, I've been seeing those ads too. I'm not going to try and dig it up, but the one where they're playing the 'girls' at volleyball, and figure they've won after a single point is pretty good!

It is a ****ty beer though! ;)

Agreed.

But, he did win quite a few titles over the years, so it wasn't like he couldn't build a 'strong' car. He may have pushed the 'lose weight' thing a little too far on occasion, but claiming that to be analogous to what the fat slime ball did is ludicrous.

Formula E! :eek: ;)

And while I agree that he didn't have to do it, and should probably have exhibited a little backbone and said '**** you', he was told to by his boss. It's easy sitting here to criticize, but I don't think there's many of us that have the cojones to tell our bosses to **** off! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian
    PS - I'm with Neuro - I'm intrigued - if I'm an 'ale' drinker, what is my preferred choice down there? When I was there (~20 years back), I don't recall they're being anything (beer wise) any good! :)

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That explains everything :)

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I did but paid the consequences each time .... I will add I was in the right ethically but still out of a job .... but moved each time into a better well paid job :)

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's true...sad but true!

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ridiculous comment. Colin's cars were very light so they would be very fast and win the race. He had no interest in them falling apart unless they had crossed the finish line.

We must remember that a team like Brabham (in the late 70's or 80's) was trying to get aeronautical guys interested in F1 and when they showed one guy a F1 car he laughed and made Tank comments, so Colin was ahead of his time just needed moderner materials to achieve the reliability he needed.
    Pete
    ps: Note also that there are a lot of old Lotus single seaters still racing in historic racing so they cannot have been that fragile. More likely the mechanic made a mistake or due to cost saving they reused a component too often, but yes his cars were light.

18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Sorry to disagree there, but Lotuses were judged lethal by many drivers in Chapman era.

Colin Chapman had a vey cavalier attitude to safety and this was reflected in the design of his cars. Structural integrity was often sacrificed to lightness, and the durability of many components came to be questioned.

The haste with which Chapman introduced wings on his cas in the late 60s, was just an example. Jackie Oliver, Jochen Rindt and Graham Hill, to quote a few, were the victims of a botched attempt to rush wings without much testing. All had devastating high speed accidents, for which Chapman blames third parties!

Sending Rindt on a qualif lap at Monza with a wingless car just to increase top speed was nothing sort of criminal negligence. The Italian magisrates thought as much.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Rindt died because he refused to wear his crotch belt. Very sad, but he would have lived if he had worn the safety belt that was provided properly.

My point was that Colin's attitude to lightness was not to harm people but make the cars fast and winners. A previous post suggested he did this to deliberately kill drivers ... I'm saying that is incorrect.
    Pete

20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Rindt died primarily because his car left the road under breaking at the approach of the Parabolica. His seat belt didn't cause the accident, nor his driving.

Two reasons were suspected at the time:
    - aerodynamic instability brought about by the complete removal of the rear wing wthout testing.
    - breakage of the inboard brake shaft under stress, which had already occured previously.

Any one of those, or a combination of both, provoked the car to change course and hit the barrier without any retardation effect. Rindt became a passenger.

The car was dangerously unsafe, but Chapman signed it off for racing !

When John Miles complained about it, Chapman called him a coward!!

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    While every accident has a cause there are factors that can mitigate its severity.

22. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    According to journalist Adam Cooper via a source close to the Italian team, Ferrari are preparing for Alonso's departure and are actively seeking a replacement in the form of Lewis Hamilton rather than the more likely Sebastian Vettel.

Ferrari targeting Hamilton as Alonso replacement?

Cooper is a trustworthy journalist.

23. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    If Hamilton went to Ferrari, I having a feeling a lot of heads would explode.

24. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I agree with you. The next few days i believe that we will have a clear decision.

25. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As long as Ferrari wins I don't care who is driving. If Fred moves on, f him, I will cheer for the next guy. As we can see from this year it is important to have a good tech team first and foremost.