getting there slowly with the 365 but getting there nevertheless | FerrariChat

getting there slowly with the 365 but getting there nevertheless

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Sep 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #1 rustytractor, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, it's been almost a year since I bought the 365 and hopefully it's nearing the day when I can actually drive it.

There's been loads of delays, frustration and aggravation along the way but the car's going to Howard's (squidmark) on Friday so he can rebuild the already rebuilt brakes and sort out the oil leaks for me (bless him !).

Other than painting the back panel black and redoing the wheels (the paints gone funny) the exterior is all sorted, once she's stopping properly and retaining her fluids the interior is next but that's mainly cleaning at the moment.

For those who are interested I was approached by Classic Cars magazine to do a feature on my collection and the photo shoot happened on Thursday. The 400 and 365 took pride of place over all my Yank iron in the main photos and the feature should be in November or Decembers edition. You'll be glad to know that in the interview I talked my usual load of old bollocks but at least the cars looked good.

Here's a couple of pix of the 365 looking all shiny - kind of all dressed up with nowhere to go at the moment but hey ho, not for much longer - you paying attention Howard ???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #2 rustytractor, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Here's a couple of pix of the 365....

#18231 as mentioned on another thread; dark blue/tan......very nice !

Jack

4. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Obviously a man of impeccable taste.

Mines #17537 but I don't like numbers and prefer names.

This ones called @??xx!!!!£££££ (or "that bloody car" for short).

5. EVOeng

EVOeng Karting

Jul 1, 2011
    London, England
    Car looks great, can't wait for the magazine!

6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    She does look lovely - not perfect but good enough for me.

In the coming years I'll do some detail work and sort out a few interior issues (recover mouse hair dash, redo headlining etc) but for now I can live with the imperfections and just want to go for a long drive !

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Russell,

Hey... that is my car! I did not know it was missing... and you changed the steering wheel to the other side... Ooops... my mistake, as yours is much shinier :)

Cheers,

Sam

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    after 15 months of work my car is finally running. since the car is in Canada I have no really good photos. maybe two more months? winter coming

9. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

10. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Amazing ! Wonderful ! great 365 !
    congratulations, I can't see many "imperfections"... only the steering wheel on the wrong side :) !!!

11. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    Hi Russ,
    Nice work, worth all the effort and aggravation. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Looking forward to the article.

12. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    It's a lovely car, and the silver on black registration plates really suit it.

13. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #13 rustytractor, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    The first 400 I ever test drove (a 400IA actually) had a black and silver number plate and I thought it really looked good. I didn't buy that car- it was registered 30 AXG - but it was bought by someone who popped up on F-Chat for a short period a while back.

That was also a dark navy colour, although different to mine which is called "Blue Ortis" and has a purple tinge in some lights (possibly it's not exactly the same as the original colour tone as the car had been painted prior to becoming mine).

The car is far from perfect as it needs a new windscreen due to delamination in the corners - I've never seen a 400 series car have this problem with the front screen as it's usually the rear that goes but this car's rear screen is perfect so go figure that one out !

The original correspondance between the first owner and Maranello show that the sunroof was dealer fitted prior to delivery but sadly the headlining isn't the correct leather style any more and is a plain old lining which has seen better days. A while back before I bought the365 someone on ebay was selling a complete leather headliner, I remember thinking at the time I should buy it for no good reason. I didn't but really wish I had now !

Also, the door speaker grills have been removed and 80's Pioneer speakers fitted in their place which look really poop but hopefully someone will have a pair of grills knocking around. This car has been in a private collection in Sweden since 1985 and hasn't gone anywhere which explains why the old school speakers are still fitted. The interior isn't bad, mainly needs a good clean and leather redress and I'll live with the rough bits until I have the money to sort it properly.

The exhaust is (I believe but am probably wrong as usual) an orignal Ansa system but the back boxes and pipes are a bit, shall we say "tired" but will have to be patched until funds allow otherwise - another job for Super Squidmark.

By the way, congratulations to Howard on becoming the owner of Autosportif in Bicester - it's been a long, painful struggle but you got there in the end. Keep on building those Subaru World Championship Rally cars but make sure to find time to fix Ferrari's while you're at it - ESPECIALLY MINE !!!!!

14. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Thanks for the compliments - and the steering wheel isn't on the wrong side, the photo was taken with a negative reverse-modified transmuted bilateral image filter which makes the car look realy good and automatically moves the steering wheel in the photo to the opposite side of the car to where the person looking at the photo expects it to be.

Personally I can't see the benefit of this other than to be annoying !

15. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Hello Russ,
    Try the 365GTC/4 site for speaker grilles - if they are the same Zanny has some for sale.
    Neil ( remember the thermostat ! )

16. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter

Hi Neil, yes I remember thanks. Mind you, I doubt it's opened and closed more than once since I got it from you !

I'm unsure if the GT4 2+2 and GTC/4 share the same speaker grills - does anyone on F-Chat know ?

17. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Russ,
    Sorry, Zanny has sold them, but if they are the same as mine - they would be easily machined out of 5mm thick black plastic.
    Or if you are really skilled with a chain saw........
    Neil.

18. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Wow. Bella macchina!

19. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    I have a c/4 and a 365GT4 2+2, I will check them, I think they are the same.

Chuck

20. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    That would be very helpful - thanks

21. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    They look the same to me but the peninfarina body parts books show different part numbers 253 30 263 01 for th C4 and 253 30 628 17 for the GT4 and the early 400s show the same number as the GT4. The C4 part number may of been replaced by the later number. I will be out in my shop in the morning and compare them.

Chuck

22. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Gorgeous !