Button | FerrariChat

Button

Discussion in 'F1' started by Rosso Veloce, Oct 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosso Veloce

Rosso Veloce Karting

Feb 14, 2012
    Maryville, TN
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I think Button is still one of the best drivers on the grid. He matched the Hamilton in their years together and has consistently outdone the young hotshots he's been paired against since then. I think Suzuka proves that he is still willing to take risks when needed and he is still driving like a world champion. He was matching the pace of the Mercedes and even posted a fastest lap later in the race which I think is amazing. In comparison, Magnussen completely fell apart. He spun like 4 times!

Button also has a long history with Honda. He understands and respects Japanese culture which will be important IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kevin is massively talented, and it would be a great shame if his career is cut short. However. if I was forced to chose between Jenson and him I would have to pick Button.

2. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Button is my favorite driver bar none. He is NOT the quickest-He is NOT the most revered- BUT he certainly seems to enjoy his life more than many others-AND he misses his papa

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Jenson is a personable and likeable guy just like Felipe.

I think the conditions in Suzuka definitely flattered Jenson - he is definitely one of the best in wet and changing weather conditions from a driving a decision making standpoint. But in normal conditions he is not fast enough. He is past his peak.

From Ron's perspective it would be better to get rid of him for two reasons:
    1) Alonso would be better in every way except perhaps being a team player
    2) Van Dorne/Magnussen are cheaper. So he can save some money and invest it into the car.

4. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Honda should pay both Fred and Jense. They need experienced drivers providing feedback.

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You and I are members of a small, elite fraternity!

:)

6. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    I agree. He has over double magnussens points now. He may be slightly slow in qualy but at the end of the day that doesn't matter. Magnussen isn't the wonder boy they cracked him up to be.

IMO the mclaren car is just as good as the ferrari. In Alonso's hands it would be maybe 4th. But Jensen has gotten a decent haul of points. Kimi and magnussen are both languishing down the bottom though.

7. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    if i were mclaren i'd lose button. he's never given me that special feeling of a driver destined to pull a struggling team to a WDC. He was extremely lucky that year driving for Brawn. I really like the guy too so this is hard to type but I think his time has come.

8. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    How many drivers on the grid do that? Certainly not incoming driver Alonso. He hasn't exactly been lifting Ferrari to world beating status.

9. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    here here !!

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Can I join? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    My vote is "aye!" but we'll have to wait to hear from Jerome, as it must be unanimous!

:)

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I'm in the minority here in that I don't believe alonso is a great car developer. It's pretty indisputable that he can overdrive the car's performance with his skill.

13. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    But the difference is that Jenson is actually more than barely competent in wet and changing conditions - he's bloody brilliant.

(add me to the club :D Have I ever mentioned that I ran a marathon with Button? Well, OK, me and 25,000 others including Jenson, ran the Honolulu Marathon in December 2012, that was Button's first marathon)

14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    perhaps he should stick to running a foot race.

Not enough races with "changing conditions" in F1 to warrant a ride IMVHO.

Best

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't remember Alonso's exact quote but it infers that he is worth a second a lap.
    I believe it and this against some stiff teammates. He is better than Vettel.
    Gauge him against Kimi or Flip or Fisi. Hami is his equal.

16. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That's why a Button Alonso matchup would be interesting. Button matched up well with Hamilton results wise.

17. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

A lot of people seem to forget that fact.

And Hammy walks on water as we're constantly being told. Ergo, Fred's in trouble. ;)

Seriously, that would be a great pairing.......

Cheers,
    Ian

18. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I am a fan of Button's as well. He's a very intelligent driver, and very consistent.........for me, much in the same light as Prost, just not quite as successful.

19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Jenson is a Terrific person and excellent driver Hope he retains his ride

20. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Impo if I was honda I would keep the same driver line up next year I don't think magnum is that good and button always gets to the finish of the race and he's good in the wet and that's the only way they make the podium next year is a wet race . If Fred doesn't race next year that might make him alot cheaper in 2016 and honda can move then about its driver line up.

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Speculation in the paddock JB was given some not so good news.....

22. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Ferrari should give button a two year deal and with serb in the lead car you can get more driver feed back which is what ferrari needs . The good thing about that line up is that serb is a oversteer guy and button is a understeer guy so the engineers can start making cars with a wider setup window . The problem with ferrari is it has small setup window who would have thought kimi would finish last in the rain at Suzuka last week . The car is setup for Fred it understeer and goes in to snap over steer . The kimi crash at Silverstone was a classic snap over crash he had cold fronts and dirty air and the front end wouldn't set and when it did he busted his ass . As much as i beat on kimi the car is a dump truck and the only person that can do anything with is Fred .

23. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    I'm a full fledged member as well!

I hope not, it would be a real shame.

24. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Hope that's not true. Button is class. If anyone should be booted out of the top teams it's kimi. If button is not in f1 next year I will be very disappointed.

25. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    I like Kimi but he has not delivered at all this year