Bleeding the cooling system? | FerrariChat

Bleeding the cooling system?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Racing-Baker, Oct 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Racing-Baker

Racing-Baker Karting

Jan 11, 2008
    Beveren Leie
    Full Name:
    Enzo Duquesnoy
    I've just placed a new thermostat.
    Could someone tell me the best way to get the air out of the cooling system (400) please?

Many thanks,
    Enzo

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I've drained and refilled my system and never did anything special. Fill normally but do not overfill. Take your time to let coolant find its way around. Run motor at idle, open heater circuit to be sure it gets full. Level will drop and gurgle at times. Add coolant as needed. There is a thermostat bypass so you have circulation to motor even if no flow thru T-stat. Let cool and refill but expansion level is in the radiator not in the auxiliary tank. Correct level is about half way up the filler neck (15 or 18 mm per manual.
    Ken

3. kaiser

kaiser Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    johannesburg
    The best way to fill any cooling system is to fill it. Then press the biggest rubber pipes you can find. That will squeeze air and water around the system, and air will settle in the expansion tank. Refill the tank. Repeat this until no more gurgling noises can be heard, and the level stays level.
    There can still be air in the system, typically in a high area or behind a closed thermostat. Drive the car a couple of times around the block, until you are sure the thermostat opens, leave the heater valve fully open, so there is passage through the heater matrix. Leave the car overnight to cool. Next day top up, and leave about an inch of free space under the cap, for expansion.

the system will most likely be perfectly filled by now, but check, when cold, to make sure the level stays level!