UK 206 GT Dino History | Page 5 | FerrariChat

UK 206 GT Dino History

Discussion in '206/246' started by MaxR, Jun 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    no known prototype in purple unfortunately.....
    it's also possible just the seats came out of a crashed prototype.... ��

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ well, anything is possible, but you got to start somewhere...

3. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    Hi Matthias,
    The seats marked with 'PILOTA' are unlikely from a prototype. The 'PILOTA' activity phase would start right at the end of the development (prototypes are done in a different area called 'Sperimentazione' or Experimental), just before the real production. It means the seats were made for one of the pilot run cars.
    I would also assume they would not ship a demo car to England with used seats. IN MY OPINION the car was repainted (R. Hoare requested a specific colour, interior trim was probably taken new from one of the pilot run cars if they had nothing in stock - e.g. seats and other interior trim items are stamped with #19?).
    Like I said before, no one will know what happened in 'PILOTA' assembly. Too many changes and not well documented untill production sign off.
    M.

4. MaxR

MaxR Karting

Jun 19, 2013
    UK
    Yes, anything is possible Matthias. However, as you know, on my original 206 Rear bumpers, one was stamped 16 & the other 17. There have also been several other numbers other than 27. So, maybe it was built out of several crashed Dinos?

Did Ferrari use bad test drivers in the 60's?

5. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    interesting....

6. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    bumpers with different numbers isn't rare.... but they unlikely came from crashed cars...
    they swapped during production to optimize fitting...
    hence they stopped numbering bumpers in later production.....

7. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Matthias,
    Every time you respond to a posting with new info, I begin to wonder when the next book is coming out. Wonderful info that makes understanding these cars so frustrating yet so addictive!

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    ��
    no need for a new book, these are so minor issues... only crazy guys like us are bothered about.....
    really interesting stuff ��

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    PILOTA, in Italian, means 'driver'.

Could it be possible that it was written to avoid installation confusion, albeit fairly obvious to determine which seat goes where, by the side handle?

Of course, at the 'factory' anything was possible ;)

Regards, Alberto

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Max,

A couple of questions, and these are meant from a learning perspective and not disagreement, what is your level of knowledge that allows you to state this about "pilota" cars? I have never heard about this department, but am certain it exists.

I visited the Ferrari factory before the 360 Stradale existed. I took non-digital photo's of them driving around. People thought I was crazy when I talked about it.

I learned from that and took a camera that I could use better when I went back and captured images of the 599 before release. By the time I got back home and jacked around with them, the car had already been unveiled and was slightly different.

I also took pictures of what was to become the California and a scrapped coupe version that was being tested in a fake Maserati body.

When I went in January of 2011, I was able to track down the test mules of the now called FF. We learned from all of the past experiences and were able to publish the last FF mules before release. Once you learn how Ferrari handles these types of pre-production cars, you start to understand it better.

I have no internal source at Ferrari, just my experience of being excited and looking for something different. There are no doubt cars made before production and the first "test assembly" cars.

Are you certain that "Pilota" would not have referred to as the driver side seat but instead to something more special, or just guessing?

This car won't be effected one way or the other given it's history and the level of the resurrection, but it still is of great interest.

Shawn

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Max S. knows of what he speaks......

12. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    Dear Shawn,
    Thanks for your post and a legitimate question.
    I work in the industry....
    Well, if you want to refer to a driver seat you wouldn't write 'PILOTA'.
    Normally, in this company (also in other manufacturers), mechanics in the experimental, pilot build or any other assembly area would refer to LH or RH assembly i.e. SX or DX in Italy. It minimises the risk of making mistakes. This is a standard in the industry. Parts delivered to the department in question are still frequently marked 'PILOTA' for the internal logistics.
    Best,
    Max