Battery | FerrariChat

Battery

Discussion in '360/430' started by Edgar Diaz, Oct 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edgar Diaz

Edgar Diaz Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Edgar Diaz
    Hey Guys,
    Wanted to know if anyone is using the Odyssey battery in a F430? They show a PC1500RT 34R-PC1500. I would like to know if it fits in the car's space properly, if it performs well. It costs $275.00. Is it a vented or sealed battery. Really welcome your comments.
    Thanks

neil e dale likes this.
  2. Randy B

Randy B Karting

Jun 7, 2013
    Didsbury AB,Canada
    I have one in my 360 and it fits fine. Just have to grab some longer J hooks since the originals will be about 1" short. It is a AGM so no venting needed.

neil e dale likes this.
  3. 67427

67427 Rookie

Nov 30, 2011
    Paradise (Florida)
    Full Name:
    Guillermo FQ
    +1 I have one in my 360 some folks also swear by the 925T for the 430. Do a search

4. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Do you have a picture of what you did? Where did you get the longer hooks?
    my Odyssey comes in this next week.

5. Randy B

Randy B Karting

Jun 7, 2013
    Didsbury AB,Canada
    I didn't take any pictures. The J hooks are available at any automotive parts store. Think I paid 4 bucks for the pair.

neil e dale likes this.
  6. Edgar Diaz

Edgar Diaz Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Edgar Diaz
    Would you guys say that the odyssey battery is a better choice than other batteries? Like interstate and other brand names? If it is sealed and roughed, I would think would be better choice. Comments?

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Most of us drive our cars only in nice weather, and otherwise keep the battery on a tender. So batteries in our cars have an easy life, never having to crank engines in sub-freezing temperatures, for instance. As such, most any good AGM battery will do, so long as the quality is such that it doesn't fall apart or short out. Choose an AGM because it won't leak from any reputable maker such as Odessey, Interstate or Sears.

neil e dale and whatheheck like this.
  8. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

I use the Sears branded Odyssey batteries (Sears Platinum) in my marine applications, they are compact and lighter weight than a normal lead-acid battery. The Sears versions don't come in a reverse terminal design necessary for the Ferrari, so you have to get the R model in the Odyssey brand. It is a good choice. I currently have an Optima in my 360, fwiw.

neil e dale likes this.
  9. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    I have the 34R-PC1500 in my 2007 430. Fits fine except I did have to go to longer J-bolts.

10. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I just installed my odyssey today. I bought 8" j bolts and ended up having to cut about 1/2" off to allow the foot rest to be reinstalled.

neil e dale likes this.
  11. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Could you post photos of the install and fit?

I'm going to order the Odyssey 34R-PC1500.

It isn't a good idea to use the smaller batteries such as the 925T. It may work under ideal circumstances but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Choose a battery with equal or better specs compared to the OEM battery. So look at capacity and CCA.

Also it needs to have reversed terminals (34R, not 34) to fit well without mods in the 360/430.

And it needs to be fully sealed such as the AGM or gel due to the battery location inside the cabin. Its okay to have an emergency pressure relief valve, which probably all AGMs do have. But this valve only opens to vent pressure if the battery is being overcharged or over heated and is about to explode. The traditional lead acid batteries continuously vent gas as part of their normal chemistry. I do not think its a good idea to use a continuously venting traditional battery and count on the vent tube to extract that gas or overflowing fluid from the cabin.

Overall Ferrari battery philosophy: I think its okay to deviate from OEM for this frequently replaced item, especially since the OEM is difficult to obtain except from Ferrari. But it is a Ferrari, so its not a good idea to skimp on quality to save a few bucks or performance to save a few pounds.

neil e dale and shifter like this.
  12. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    #12 neil e dale, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    have been researching batteries the Odessey AGM has a stellar reputation among the off- road racing 4WD crowd ! many say it has lasted for 8-9 years ! and withstands really tough , brutal conditions ! it is very heavy . Amusingly, they say it is made of "virgin lead " which they assert is superior ( to recycled lead ? ) LOL I have a PC1200 R I will fit to my F430 Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I can say from firsthand experience that the Lithium batteries are fantastic. I have two Braille Lithiums (@ $1,100.00 apiece) as well as a full sized Optima red top in my car. The Braille's are on a solenoid and are only used when needed.

14. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    brilliant configuration why not use just the braille's ? racers do ! you could lose what 37 LBS !

15. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Lithium batteries may be great but the cost is great as well. Have one in my McLaren and fear the day it goes belly up (2-3K). For all out racing the weight savings may be helpful but for a street car I will go AGM at a fraction of the cost of a Lithium battery.

whatheheck and neil e dale like this.
  16. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    OhIi agree ! but for some ? $ is not an issue ! for them ? lithium is the way to go ! I have heard that the McLaren are quite expensive to maintain and no way can you DIY as they have dealer only limitations . ? I can do nearly everything on my Ferrari ! and am glad of it ! what a gift to a retired mechanic to be able to fix, fettle your very own Ferrari ! LOL

17. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    You are correct about maintenance being more difficult on a Mac due to limited options for parts etc. Sadly no Ricambi or Eurospares equivalents.
    This has been a disappointment to me as I enjoy turning wrenches but maybe with time it will improve.
    Ferrari is my first love but the pricing and games have been a turn off in recent years.

neil e dale likes this.
  18. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is what I need the lithium batteries for.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I haven't had time to fabricate a fixture to hold another lithium behind my passenger foot well.

colorfull and F430Rod like this.
  19. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I use lithium batteries in motorsports but wouldn’t use them in my 430. I’ve had too many thermal events and sudden failures from vibration and deep discharge.

For optimum performance they require special chargers and although some manufacturers suggest continuous charging from a traditional lead battery designed charging system is fine, you’ll be pressed to find an expert that would agree.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck and neil e dale like this.
  20. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Braille wouldn't sell me their lithiums unless I also purchased their lithium charger. It has a small footprint and is easy to use.

neil e dale likes this.
  21. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    Yes, the lithium do require a quite sophisticated BMS = Battery Management system ! - to forestall disaster! witness this A123 battery fitted to some MB cars !, EG the BMS is built into this battery [​IMG]

22. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    My 2017 BMW M3 came with a Lithium battery. I had to buy a CTEK lithium charger for it but it’s been great and is much lighter than the AGM battery my regular 335i had. However, the replacement cost is apparently around $1200 or so. Not looking forward to that!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

neil e dale likes this.
  23. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    #23 neil e dale, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    PS as I live in the warm sunny Arizona in the Sonoran desert we can get away w/ a smaller battery! hence this PC 1200 will do fine! BTW my version of this battery even has a metal case ! as it was originally selected for fitment in a very hot Saab 9-3 Viggen turbocharged engine bay! ( the Viggen even has a dedicated cooling air vent hose fr the front to the battery box ! )

24. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    you could doubtless find a equivalent Lithium battery ( or two smaller ones ) for far less than the mac price !

25. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Unfortunately the Mac has a third battery lead which makes it a Mac only system. It can be rebuilt but the cost is almost as much as a new unit. Supposedly the battery lasts the life of the car but frankly, I do not believe that story.
    Pay to play.

neil e dale likes this.