60th Anniversary of Ferrari in America Event -Oct 12 in Beverly Hills - Who's Going? | Page 15 | FerrariChat

60th Anniversary of Ferrari in America Event -Oct 12 in Beverly Hills - Who's Going?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by TrojanFan, Sep 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #351 ar4me, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I actually did find your Dino in my wife's video. Again, I had to severely trim it to make it fit the F'chat file size constraint...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PVEferrari

PVEferrari Formula Junior

It's too bad that Luca was not there today.

See my post #50 on 09/10/14. I had a feeling that he wouldn't show up today.

3. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    It was cool enough..... glad to see so many classic cars on display, many of which I have worked on over the last 30 years,

But as mentioned above, the rest of the show seemed a little out of sync ! not sure if that's because of the recent departure of Luca or just a general bla bla about shows in BH...

Either way happy to chat to so many "old" friends and clients and be introduced to so many new ones....

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #354 Marcel Massini, Oct 13, 2014
  5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #355 Marcel Massini, Oct 13, 2014
    Here are the first and the last Le Mans winning Ferraris.
    166 MM Barchetta Touring #0008 M owned by Robert M. Lee and 250 LM #5893 of the Indianapolis Motor Museum.
    0008 M won Le Mans in 1949.
    5893 won Le Mans in 1965.

Marcel Massini

6. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B

+1 on some of the rant. I never even found the hospitality floor or tent or whatever it was. Being the dork I am I jotted a message on that retirement card for Luca but he didn't show up. That didn't matter there was no place to put it. At The Grove marshaling point I got directed past the horseshoe spot into the parking structure. A few cars and I wound up going all the way to the top (scraping) then back down (scraping more) just to get to the line. I was 47 at check in. It almost sounds like if you came later you got a more social spot (referring to that Lamborghini on Camden). Still besides all that it was still a special event and again it was free (ish).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    or Daytona Spiders.

8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    According to my spies there were at least four Dinos:

246 GT E-Series Yellow (Pennsylvania License Plate “JPW-1780)
    246 GT R/B #02840
    246 GTS Euro Flares & Chairs Red/Tan (California Plate “389 LLM”?)
    246 GTS Red/Black w/ Chairs #08028 (California Historical Vehicle Plate “777T”?)

Marcel Massini

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    According to my spies there was at least one "Daytona Spider", however, it was a CUT Berlinetta (a conversion):
    #16781, painted red.

Marcel Massini

10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Great seeing you Karton at the Arches !!!

All the fun was Saturday Night for the special "invitees"
    Us poor ugly folk got to take our Ferrari's out to the show, any excuse to get out in the fresh air spend my pennies in Beverly Hills is OK with me. Wife found a nice sweater in one of the stores on Rodeo, I brought home a couple baguettes to snack on. I'm simple

Did take a peel at the "hospitality Suite" after we had brunch at the French Bakery down the street.
    Been to and ran enough of these shows to expect what not to expect.

:)

11. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #361 4zaJim, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    Thought the day was fantastic. Perfect? No, but all of the belly aching on this forum is pretty sad. No one had to put this event on. The great people with the FCA who volunteer their time and energies certainly are not doing so to upset anyone

Sure, there was some miscommunication and probably some things which could have gone better. Heck, when I arrived at the Grove my registration wasn't even on the list and I was supposed to be on Camden. Big deal. Move on. We should all be grateful to have such an awesome event and thank those who worked hard to make it happen

12. TwiceBaked

TwiceBaked Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Lake Arrowhead Calif
    Full Name:
    Karlton Spindle
    Great to see you too!

The VOLUNTEERS who put this on I applaud them the FACTORY should be ashamed is what I am saying.

Trying to help at the arch was the best part for me. But I got told to stop so I did.
    Its the people and the cool cars the rest I stand by my rant the worst Ferrari show in "engaging" those who brought our cars.

13. f430_8451

f430_8451 Karting

Apr 4, 2014
    Cali, OC
    Yes, the event was not perfect.
    Yes, they could have let us park our cars somewhere and display the 900+ cars that came for the event.
    But, All-in-all, I had a great time. Got to meet alot of very nice folks. I got to see lots of very nice cars that i would probably not see again in one location. I was able to drive my car to BH (probably won't have the time to bring it up there again). I was part of a pretty big event for Ferrari. My daughter and I both had a great time.
    Thank you to those who set this up.

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    There were 3 Daytona spiders by my count. 2 red, one yellow. One red one was a Chinetti conversion. The day was a complete positive despite the accurate criticism above. The marshalling was awkward and more time consuming than necessary. Really, can't the club use technology better to check people in? I would have had all guests on tablets and had checkers go from car to car with the packets. Could have saved a crap load of time. I got to park on Camden, me in my lowly (according to LdM) 348. Lots of coolness to see, well worth the drive from PV. LdM a no show? Big surprise that. He's never been a friend to the US market. I refer to his derogatory comment about Ferrari being an American company with the reign of Marchionne as if that was a slight. We just buy a third of everything the company makes, but lead the world in supporters of the marque - clubs, events, support for owners, etc. The hospitality room wasnt more than a club gathering place to rest up and grab a refreshment. I certainly don't expect to be wined and dined on the club's dime. Confusion about the parade? Whatever. It was still a great event overall. Last count when I left was 911 cars missing the record by 50 something. Think about that you no-shows. Id say a great day and a success due to the great cars and people. Seems I ran into friends everywhere. Saw the F60 America. Over a million for a corvette convertible are you kidding me?! I expected much more than a fleece-mobile - basically a model knocked off a more common one, glammed up to make it appear ultra rare, then priced stratospherically to give the impression of uber-exclusivity. Its a chopped F12 with bespoke interior. At least that is its appearance. In the same vein as the 550 Barchetta and Superamerica but with an obscene price that should cause every Ferrari marketing exec to blush.

15. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    #365 Finitele, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    Luca didn't show up

16. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    well perhaps it's fair to criticize any moving target. what do I know. I've read several good ideas, such as parking all cars on the streets but how do we know that was not possible due to the city?

perhaps the event lost some steam on the FNA side when Luca was allowed to 'retire?'
    I had the impression this began as his baby.

I guess that in spite of everything that did not go to expectation, it was still a once in a blue moon opportunity and beat just about anything else I could have done yesterday

17. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    Overall, it was a fantastic event with an incredible line up of cars on Rodeo.

I went to The Grove real early had had no problems getting in an out - very easy and quick. At first, I wasn't too thrilled about parking on the roof of the structure and not on Camden. I spent most of Saturday detailing my car for what? The flip side to being on the roof was I didn't have people leaning on my car and banging into it with their cameras and bags all day like I saw with the cars parked on the street. So in the end, it worked out okay.

The hospitality tent was what I expected it to be. With as many people and cars as they had, did you really expect for there to be catered meals all day long? It was nice to be able to go up there to relax and escape the crowds on Rodeo. When I got hungry, I just walked over to one of the restaurants around the corner.

One of my favorites was the unrestored 250LM. Pitted windshield and headlight covers, bad paint job full of over spray and orange peel, and old tires made you realize what the cars really looked like "back in the day".

18. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    LdM's comment was strictly in regard to production numbers...mass production. In that context describing it as 'derogatory' is perhaps a bit much.

19. Fernando250gto

Aug 16, 2009
    #369 Fernando250gto, Oct 13, 2014
  20. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #370 3forty8, Oct 13, 2014
    Had a blast, was great to meet up with Stooges and Pauper's Run alumni. I suppose I lucked out - I tried to register on three separate occasions; first two times the FCA website had an internal server error, third time registration was closed. So rather than flying out the door at 6:00 am from San Diego, I slept in, played with my daughters and finally got my ass in gear around 10:00.

I pulled onto Camden around 12:15 - I think I may have arrived right after the 60 car parade and was ushered right into an open slot on Camden near Brighton. Given the long line for the hospitality venue for coke and pretzels, it now seems like a blessing in disguise not being able to register.

A few pics:

21. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    So there actually ended up being a parade of the 60 cars? Talk about confusion if there was. We, and others, were informed to go to Rodeo for it and that it was only a couple of cars...the current offerings: California, FF, and F12.

22. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    For the tl/dr crowd:

Cars were nice, event sucked. It was poor planning and execution, plain and simple, and they really cheaped out on delivering an experience for what is supposed to be a super-premium brand.

News Flash: To all Ferrari owners who don't own multiple late model cars and are not on a first name basis with the factory- Ferrari does not care about you.

They wouldn't mind if you bought a hat or shirt (preferably both) though.

23. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Jim - Well said. I had a great time, and it was great meeting up.

The volunteers at Cheviot had everyone on their way pretty fast, and it was straightforward getting to the event from there. The garage parking was a little goofy, but overall nearly a thousand Ferrari's stuffed into one small area of BH was an impressive achievement for the club. And what an awesome lineup of cars on display! I'm all out of drool...

24. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #374 Dino246gts, Oct 13, 2014
    I had a great day.
    I apologize for not driving the F-car and applaud those of you who did.
    I arrived at 06:30, parked easily in a lot on Bedford, second floor, wide open.
    I saw and heard the cars being parked on Rodeo at sunrise.
    I had my Dino Compendium signed by Pierro.
    I just wandered and wandered. Every time I walked up and down Rodeo, I saw something I missed the first time. Absolutely incredible display. Thank you FNA
    I went into every watch boutique, saw the Richard Milles, HYTs and MB&Fs... as amazing as some of the cars. And I even got myself a black Sistem51 with a free chocolate gift at the Tourbillon boutique.
    I asked and was told the parade of 60 Ferraris was on Camden. I walked over, not crowded, (I guess everybody was on Rodeo), and saw all 60 cars pass by. It seem like more than 60. The smell, the sound, magnificent. Thank you FCA.
    I had a prosciutto sandwich for lunch at Ferrarini, a little Italian deli on Brighton Way. They even let me use their bathroom during the day. That made it a really great day.
    I left about 4:00 with a big smile on my face and took one final picture:

25. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    On the plus side, there's a photo of me on the factory website. Not of my car, of course. The Scuderia was parked on the roof of a parking garage, but since there was zero security on Camden, I am glad I didn't park there. I saw someone sitting on the front fender of a car to take a photo.