buying an F40 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

buying an F40

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by airspyder, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Terra is correct, for where you are going, just wait till the car is 25, then have an agent with a reputable shipper such as CARS Contact Us handle the entire importation process. Their agent will clear it @ customs in the USA and they'll simply deliver it to your home. I've just had this done for a client (another similarly-aged car, not F40).

2. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I don't think so, remember this was 20 years ago when Dubai was not as affluent and didn't have the pull they had at Ferrari SpA as they did by 2003.

Also, bear in mind that all the photographic evidence of the few F40s resident in Dubai over the years bears them out to be ROW/Eu-spec cars without question.

There is one notable exception which I posted in another thread a while back is this 1990 USA spec F40 which is on display at Ferrari World, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, UAE: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142883500-post3775.html

This car is known to me as one of a handful of USA spec cars sold from the USA in recent years. I believe its is the only USA-spec car there.

However.

All this is likely moot because the OP says that the car he is considering "was sold in CA".

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I may be the only one however I am questioning why the op if serious, has not retained Joe Sackey to lead and manage the F 40 acquisition ? Seems to me at worst, engaging Joe would allow for a tremendous learning opportunity?

Ok I have said my peace.

4. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    I think this is the very same F40 (#86620) you're speaking of:

1990 Ferrari F40: 1,001 Actual Miles | Rick Cole Auctions

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  6. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    My recollection is that California does not have the rolling 25 year old or older clock that the Feds have, but rather one that's stuck at 1975 or older. A 1989 car that would be exempt from Federal EPA emission regs because it's 25 years old would not be exempt from California sniffer tests.

7. ferraripete

correct.

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Bingo!

9. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    IIRC the VINs start ZFFG or ZFFM for Euro or US spec respectively.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    ZFFMN34A for all the 211 USA cars.

11. ferraripete

did the op ever buy a car? did this ever go anywhere?

12. airspyder

airspyder Rookie

Sep 27, 2010
    Chicago, sometimes
    yes, I bought the car. So far everything is good. The clutch is high but not an issue. I didn't care for the brakes on my last F40 and don't care for the braking on this car so Brembo's may be in the car's future. The fuel lines are showing their age. So there are a few things to do.
    For the next few months I'll be out of the country much of the time. Will keep you updated on my experience.

13. ferraripete

congrats!! a keeper this time?