My experience looking for a PPI in the Phoenix area. | FerrariChat

My experience looking for a PPI in the Phoenix area.

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Ferrari Monkey, Oct 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    So, I have been looking at a used 612 at Scottsdale Ferrari. I went to this forum to find someone to do a PPI. I called Alex Traverso and Andy at FMS as they were recommended. Alex said that if I am buying from Scottsdale Ferrari, then I don't need a PPI as the used car should be good. He also said that he didn't have the proper tools to evaluate the car. I also spoke with Andy at FMS. Andy was very nice and spoke with me on the phone for about half an hour. I called and spoke with him about 2-3 times and told him that I needed a PPI done at the dealer. He asked me to speak with the sales person who said that the PPI could be done at the dealership. I told him that the dealer said it was OK to do a PPI, and he said that he would have it done before I flew out there to test drive the car -- that was 1 1/2 weeks ago. I have since spoken to him a few times, and he said that he would go out there to do the PPI. It is 1 1/2 weeks later, and still no PPI. I emailed him and left him VMs and nothing. I understand that he is probably extremely busy, but if he doesn't have the time to do a PPI, then I would appreciate him telling me so I can find someone else. I know that he has a good reputation as a Ferrari mechanic, but this is frustrating. As it stands, I have wasted almost 2 weeks waiting, and need to move on this car. It looks like I will end up purchasing it without a PPI. Just wanted to share my experience in case it helps anyone.

2. wildcat767676

wildcat767676 Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Andy is great but he took 4 months to do my engine IN 308 service. Awesome guy but hard to get a hold of or stay on a timeline. On my 348 I went to Tony at sports car service center and his mechanic Kal was meticulous!! He put back every nut and washer in sequence. Had me come down to approve and inspect each item. PM me if you want their number.

3. wildcat767676

wildcat767676 Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Ps I've met Alex and have been to his shop. He is very knowledgable as well. Just very far away from me. I like to come by a lot for photos...

4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I love Andy and his shop. I am a big fan and wouldn't want any other mechanic besides Dave Helms in Colorado working on my car. Your issue is not a surprise to those of us that have Andy working on our cars.

He is a great mechanic in my book and has the pedigree of having worked at the factory in Italy. My car is well taken care of.

They are always swamped, and backlogged.

He is a super nice guy and always tries to help everyone.

His shop's only downfall in its reputation is that work is always slow to be completed and it is hard to really depend on a schedule on the front end or back end.

He probably has a hard time saying NO to people. But he and Jon are very good.

Hope you get the PPI wrapped up. You will get a good, real, report of the car that you can trust.

Robb

5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    It's a 612...... the Gods are saying DON'T do it!

Just kidding. Andy is great but does march to a different drum. Have patience. He is worth it!

6. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Andy is the only one who services my car as well. Worth the wait.

7. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    Ok, so I feel like an idiot. Open mouth, insert entire leg! Andy called me today, and went to do the PPI on the car. We spoke for about 35 minutes. Very thorough PPI! He has always been outgoing and very pleasant to speak with on the phone. Guess I was frustrated by the delays and not knowing what was going on. Extremely thorough, outgoing, and pleasant guy.

Thanks everyone, and thanks Wildcat767676 for the help.