aftermarket headers | Page 2 | FerrariChat

aftermarket headers

Discussion in '360/430' started by bocaf430, Oct 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    I too sometimes worry about pre-cat failure propagating into serious engine damage and have thought about preemptively replacing my OEM gen 2 headers with something aftermarket. But the OEM gen 2 headers are almost new, installed by Ferrari right before I bought the car in Dec 2013. So I've hesitated to pull out new OEM headers, especially as I don't think the gen 2 headers have a high failure rate. Compared to the gen 1 headers anyway! Tough to get good data though.

I believe both Agency Power and Fabspeed headers are built in China. I wonder if its the same factory and they really are identical? Only way to tell may be a close inspection of the two side by side. There might be a dealer on here who sells both and could have that opportunity. Although they might not want to share the results!

In my work we deal with a lot of challenging thermal designs. Typically a surface that we want to emit or absorb heat is coated in matte black. This is the most efficient coating for doing that. A surface that we want to reject heat is typically coated or blanketed with a highly reflecting mirror like layer.

The thermal conductivity of a material is definitely relevant so a choice of metal alloy can make a difference. The thermal conductivity of a metal can be easily found so we could validate claims of difference between stainless steel and OEM steel if we know what the alloys are.

I'm a bit skeptical of marketing claims that magical coatings have a large affect on thermal conductivity, other than by making it more or less matte black vs. shinny. If it were physically possible to make a thin layer of paint perform as an efficient insulator and block heat flow, we would see that technology all over the place instead of the many heavy or thick foams and blankets. I don't think a ceramic coating can provide much insulation value (ie thermal resistance) to reduce thermal conduction and convection, but the color can change the efficiency of thermal radiation. And it can avoid corrosion, discoloration, and other cosmetic or wear factors.

Heat moves by one of three ways, listed in order of efficiency: convection, conduction, radiation. So causing more heat to exit the exhaust rather than into the engine bay is all about reducing these three heat movement types from the hot exhaust gases into the cooler engine bay.

2. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    mountainman, have you seen a photo of the capristo blanket and the fabspeed blanket? which one do you think works better?

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Something being black, white, or shiny only impacts radiation, not conduction. Most ceramic coatings used in racing (for example: F1 coats their exhausts in ceramic) are white. That is because the white reduces the radiation.

We do see ceramic coating technologies being used everywhere. Take a look at some of the literature around gas turbine engine design. They say it reduces the thermal conductivity 50% and equates to about 55 deg C change in temp. For what it worth, that is about equal to the improvements in materials made over the past 20 years.

Blankets reduce radiation and convection, they don't change conduction.

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    What he said.

The blankets work in conjunction w the integrated heat shield of my gruppeM airbox to keep heat radiating rearward and out the vents of my Scuderia, which reduces the heat retention in the engine bay which in turn helps preserve my carbon panels.

5. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #30 yronZFF, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Wow! Those Capristo blankets (and headers) look great.

How heavy are the blankets? Did you install them yet and notice any difference in temp within the engine bay? How much did they charge for those?

Does anyone have photos of the fabspeed header blankets?

7. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Can't really say how heavy they are but they are pretty thick. I've had them on for about 2 years (along with the Capristo brackets for maybe 2 1/2 years) and haven't taken temperature readings so can't honestly say how much difference it makes although I'm pretty sure it must help.

From what I remember the Capristos with blankets were about $6000. Yes, pricey but it is a 4-2-1 design and they use T309 stainless vs T304. But I don't want to get into a Capristo vs Fabspeed vs Agency and which is better discussion. My friend installed Fabspeed headers on his 430 and he's really happy and they also sound great so there's no single brand that's the "one".

What I did notice was that the OEM header "puttering" sound (due to the precats) was gone and is now much deeper, husky and throatier.

Good luck with which ever way you go!

8. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Great info, thanks. I just read all about T304 vs. T309 stainless steel. Interesting.

What is a 4-2-1 design vs. what alternative? Why is that better?

I plan to use my IR gun to measure temperatures across various parts of the engine under different conditions. Maybe I'll even borrow the precision IR thermal imager from my lab at work! That would be pretty cool. I could take thermal images of all parts including the stock headers.

That would be a great way to collect data comparing the various headers, coatings, and blanket/shield systems. Except our cars are sprinkled all across the world.

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    4-2-1 design, in theory, provides greater gains in low to mid-end.
    4-1 design, in theory, provides greater gains in mid to high-end.

In reality, however, either has disproved the other so they're both equally good in providing more power throughout the spectrum.

Sound wise though, the 4-2-1 design creates a lower, deeper tone to the exhaust note. The 4-1 header, ala the NA F1 race cars of old, create a higher pitch sound.

Because I drive a Scuderia, aptly named, after the Scuderia Ferrari F1 team, and because I sought the high-pitched F1 shrill I thought it befitting to go with the 4-1 design. I've tried both designs, the 4-1 is definitely higher pitched. Butt dyno says both generated about the same gains.

10. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Can't really say how heavy they are but they are pretty thick. I've had them on for about 2 years (along with the Capristo brackets for maybe 2 1/2 years) and haven't taken temperature readings so can't honestly say how much difference it makes although I'm pretty sure it must help.

From what I remember the Capristos with blankets were about $6000. Yes, pricey but it is a 4-2-1 design and they use T309 stainless vs T304. But I don't want to get into a Capristo vs Fabspeed vs Agency and which is better discussion. My friend installed Fabspeed headers on his 430 and he's really happy and they also sound great so there's no single brand that's the "one".

What I did notice was that the OEM header "puttering" sound (due to the precats) was gone and is now much deeper, husky and throatier.

Good luck with which ever way you go!

11. mah_hai

mah_hai Karting

Jan 29, 2009
    Canada
    Has anyone ever had a dyno done to see what the gains are?

12. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Capristo has lots of youtube content with full dyno figures etc.

13. JB7

JB7 Rookie

Apr 19, 2007
    Rye, NH
    Full Name:
    Jon Bowers
    I too am considering the header swap on my 07 430 but it is a bit challenging to know which is the right choice. Like Mountainman, my reasons are primarily to get rid of the potentially harmful stock headers. The additional power and ear music is a nice bonus. I'm leaning Capristo with blankets but the question remains, where does the heat then go? Is it forced back into the heads or? If so, that can't be good for anything. I certainly don't want to solve one potential issue and cause 3 new ones! Any additional thoughts, experiences out there?

14. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    JB7 good thought.... anyone know the answer?

15. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Factory headers have metal heat shields/OEM version of a blanket.
    Any aftermarket headers without blankets are the odd ones out and all the heat they produce will be going into the engine bay. :(