1985 TR exhaust donuts | FerrariChat

1985 TR exhaust donuts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by hotrod, Jan 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hotrod

hotrod Rookie

May 3, 2004
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Roger dodger
    Hi f/chatters...Happy New Year.

I've been reading your threads on and off for over a year and really appreciate all the help and knowledge that you all spread about.

My New Year resolution was to join in with you all and get some posting done.
    Pity my first post is asking for help rather than helping.

I wonder if anyone can tell me where I can buy the exhaust donuts for my 85 TR? I've seen a previous posting where it was suggested that Napa can supply but frankly I don't know what part number or dimension is needed. I'm not sure if it's important but my car is fitted with a Tubi and the Euro exhaust...is that a set of cats with heat shielding or is it something made special which looks like it has been slit open and then welded shut!

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    It's true, you don't need to buy Ferrari Exhaust donuts! Although they will tell you different. If you can take the old one with you to an exhaust shop/parts store and they will be able to match it up. Probably cost you a couple of bucks at the most.

Welcome!

3. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    I tried to get doughnuts for my TR when I installed my Stebro exhaust. I went to 3 muffler shops to no avail. I finally went to Ted Rutlands and got a set. I think they were about $10 a piece.

http://www.trutlands.com/

Good Luck!

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Jan 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I, too, have not had much luck finding generic alternatives for the various F exhaust donut gaskets (but I've gotten lazy ;)). The single cat 308QV (84-85) and the cat-equipped 328 use the same cat as cat-equipped TRs so the large donut gaskets are the same (and you can use FerrariUK as a source if that makes sense $-wise, but I, too, just usually use TRutlands) -- the PN is 154985 (and I think there's another PN where you can get a set of 4 in a single package, but I don't have that info handy).

But your description isn't that clear. Does your TR exhaust layout look something like this (with a Tubi instead of the stock silencer, of course), or is it the much-different GB version? And you are talking about the large diameter donuts for the precat-to-cat or cat-to-silencer connections and not the smaller ones for the header-to-precat connection, right?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Just bought a donut from Ferrari of Orange County for my 456GT.

38.00 for a piece of lead...Oh well another donation to the Ferrari nation of price gouging suppliers

6. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I went to 3 exhaust shops (including an exhaust customizer who supposedly had "everything"), and 3 parts suppliers and all of them said, "no way, and what the hell is this off of?" Ultimately ordered them from Rutlands.

7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Funny, the F40 was from an older Dodge!

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I went to about 5 Muffler shops - None had big enough donuts for the TR. The F40 and 308 donuts are smaller and maybe easier to find.

I got mine from Chris at Ferrari of Orange County - A set of 4 for $60.

9. hotrod

hotrod Rookie

May 3, 2004
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Roger dodger
    Thanks to you all for your kind input.

91tr, I don't have an exhaust system like the one you posted. I think that your system had a cat below the muffler.

My tubi is a dual stainless steel (horizontal) muffler. The donuts I'm needing are the ones I assume are between the 4 "pipes" coming to the Tubi. I'm not sure but it looks like the system coming from the block has heat shielding on it but I can't recall seeing any other flanges (3 bolts and heart shaped flanges).

I guess the Euro system is different!

I'll try to follow all the leads and see what I come up with...it may be less expensive just to call Rutlands but then again it may be nice to find a local named supplier so that everyone can benefit from the information.

Thanks again for responding...I think I found a new family.

10. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Holy Cow!!! Can't find exhaust donuts? Almost every car on the planet uses them. They are made in every diameter from pea shooter to big rig diesel truck. You guys must have some really bad parts stores or worse yet, you told them it's for a Ferrari ("We don't have no parts fer them fancy furrin sports cars.")

11. hotrod

hotrod Rookie

May 3, 2004
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Roger dodger
    Hi guys,
    I've been all over town and the internet looking for these TR exhaust donuts.

I contacted my local Ferrari dealer who said that there are two sizes used. One size is $20 and the other is $22!!!!! Ouch!

My local exhaust guy sells similar items for $2 each for either the big block or small block Chevy. Now before I'm reminded that my TR is no Chevy, I think that I prefer $2 each for exhaust donuts than the Ferrari alternative.

My TR is a Federalized Euro version with a Tubi. I think the Tubi replaces the US version exhaust and all the cats. There are 4 heart shaped flanges with three nuts and bolts each flange. Seems like it's going to hurt ($$$) if I can't find the parts locally.

NAPA asks the usual questions and doesn't list Ferrari. Neither does Fel-Pro.

I think the two choices are dimensionally as follows:
    "Small donut": 2.4"OD x 2.0" ID x ..600 wide.
    "Large donut": 3.3"OD x 2.8" ID x .700 wide.

Someone told me that the "small block" exhaust donut was similar to the "Ferrari small donut"...anyone???

I'm going to keep trying to resolve this problem for us all. I know that the F/dealers have to pay the Ferrari price for these parts and it therefore follows that the prices will be high but 10 X higher...that seems a bit much.
    Does anyone have any better ideas or more leads?

Thanks and you all have a great weekend.

12. REM9

REM9 Karting

Jun 17, 2001
    Finger Lakes NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Russ Moore
    Has there been any revelations on a non-dealer source for these donut gaskets? I tried NAPA and a couple other local parts houses and they were useless unless one has a part number. None listed Ferrari which was no surprise. It was classic at Advance Auto- the dolt on the counter asked me "who makes Ferrari?" I knew it was time to leave!

Russ

13. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    You might want to ask Daniel at Ricambi.

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Try e46 BMW m3 rear muffler section gaskets. I think they are the same. I remember I needed a gasket for one and sacrificed a brand new in the package Ferrari gasket to finish the job.