355 Dash Leather and Sticky Parts Refurb | Page 5 | FerrariChat

355 Dash Leather and Sticky Parts Refurb

Discussion in '348/355' started by full_garage, Apr 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevew3765

stevew3765 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    #101 stevew3765, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The ashtray can be easily done by using paint stripper. In 30 seconds you can actually pick the paint off in 2 or 3 pieces. It just bubbles off. As for the switches....they come apart easily and go back together easily. Once you do one, its very easy.

3. stevew3765

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    #103 stevew3765, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does anyone know who redoes this or where I should look to take them? Thanks...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    That piece is a PITA, the metal and rubber parts are practically fused together and I was unable to separate them without damaging the rubber so we ended sanding it and painting it with trim paint. Looks ok but not great.

Ideally I would have powder coated them...

5. stevew3765

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    Yeah, I am sure you are aware of what ricambi wants for them x2 ! Outrageous. Hwy robbery really. It seems the most popular parts that fail they want the most money for. I mean how can they justify that price otherwise? Oh we'll. guess I will get off my soap box now. Thanks for listening!

6. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Ricambi isn't the problem...Daniel does his best to be competitive and also carries several aftermarket non-oem products for Ferrari. I'm sure they do good business and make money but when you see astronomical out-of-this-world insane prices...I'd be willing to bet that those inflated prices are straight from Ferrari and not Ricambi's fault.

7. stevew3765

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    Well I agree Daniel is very helpful and has nothing to do with pricing. I guessing thought that ricambi had the rights to the molds for all the parts and gave Ferrari a percentage for being a liaison so to speak. But, on the other hand If what you are saying is that ricambi is buying the parts from Ferrari. Why not go direct? I guess it doesn't matter it is what it is. It's a shame though. They want 600 usd for a 5 usd piece just because of demand. These interior parts fail bottom line therefore those parts are inflated 1000%

8. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    Where did you get the graphics (arrows)?

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Daniel buys the parts from Ferrari. Go direct? Not possible, as Ferrari has exclusive contracts with their suppliers...the subcontractor cannot sell items like that under Ferrari's nose if they want to continue to do business with Ferrari. I am not defending the practice, it just is...

My company has all sorts of sub-components manufactured by third parties, but we control the distribution. If they sold the parts directly to our customers on the side, I am sure we would both sue them, and end our relationship with them. We own the rights to the products themselves.

10. colinvoice

colinvoice Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys,
    Just recently bought a spider in the UK which needs some of the parts refurbished.
    Does anyone know of a company in the UK who would offer a similar service to stickynomore?

Colin

11. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I'm pretty sure Stickynomore can deal with you even if overseas.

12. victor430

victor430 Rookie

Aug 19, 2009
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Douglas John Price
    Hi there
    Is there a special way to remove the steering wheel cowling
    I have undone all of the screws/ bolts that attach it to the column , but the two units will not split easily
    Are there clips inside that I need to release?

Thanks Victor

13. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There is one more screw than you think. I ran into the same problem. It's been a while, so I can't remember exactly where. But do look for the other screw!

14. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This was such an informative post that I also am in the midst of a similar project. You know a case of the sticvkies that leads to something that says well.................now that little part bothers me....................and then as they say one thing leads to another and as scary as it seems with these posts it is like having someone watch over your shoulder. Awesome stuff that I can't get enough of.

Thanks
    Mark

15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Jay,

Great thread!!

Last night I ordered via Amazon Prime the Easy-Off, Plasti Dip and Rustoleum per your thread.

Thanks for posting this :)

16. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Jay's thread was my inspiration as well. But some have reported that Greased Lighting works way better than Easy off, I would give it a try if I were you.

Also, if you're replacing the AC cover and you're anal like me about it matching the rest of the interior, I recommend you check out my thread here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/359291-ultimate-sticky-interior-fix-experiment.html

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks Fab - I recall seeing that thread in the past - I'll give it a good read - thank you for reminding me :)

I never planned to do this work myself but the new car need to get restored with the least cash outlay for any work that I can do myself as long as the quality does not suffer.

18. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Having just done a few pieces myself I will offer this.

I read and researched every thread I could find on this and all of treedees are especially helpful.

I found easy off worked great for me although I didn't try greased lightening and others have said that works well.

Don't scrub to much as you are just trying to get the sticky stuff off. I believe that there is a layer of hardened black coating on the plastic itself and you dont need to remove that. If you scrub like crazy you will remove the sticky coating but also mar and disturb this other layer, requiring more removal of it that isn't necessary.

In my mind that's the easy part. Getting them to look like SNM is the mystery still. In all of the threads I have read he won't say what he uses but he says what he doesn't use and that is Plasti dip or textured paint. I just sent a piece to him (center vent) and it definitely has more "texture" than the product I used on some other pieces. SEM trim.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141214575-post31.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141214586-post32.html

Here is a post using the trim paint I used on my handles, ashtray and gauge surround on the rear window trim pieces.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/320359-sticky-part-10-rear-window-trim.html

The paint dries fast, goes on easy and looks good. I just think that it may not have that little bit of texture that SNM seems to have.

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Fab, I've scanned your thread and I like the test samples you did - I will likely reference those and do a test myself. Your parts came out really nice but I find them a bit more textured than my liking and certainly more than the factory.

My 98 has all parts done by SNM and I have the radio bezel that I did not use (but had refinish), so I have a great sample piece to compare and match the end result to.

At only a few dollars per can, it's pretty cost effective to try different paints / coatings.

Before I do, I'll read all the threads here in detail. While at lunch, I did just pickup some Greased Lightening - thanks for the tip, Fab.

I also have an ultrasonic cleaner at my business that I can use if need be.

I'll be sure to post the photos of me removing the tar from my hair :)

20. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Keep in mind that the texture is grossly exaggerated in the photos due to the flash. There is definite texture but you only notice it up close when looking at it.

21. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Guys please remember when doing the parts yourself, if you mess up a part it could cost BIG money to replace, IF Ferrari even still makes that part. Many 355 parts are now NLA.

I recently turned down 3 jobs because guys "tried" to do the parts themselves, messed them up and figured they would send to me and I would correct the problems. Just didn't want to try to correct the issues and "hope" for a decent looking finish. End of the day, my name goes on those parts and if I can't make it look great, I'm not doing it.

One customer put the parts back in as is and the other guys bought new/used parts. Cost ALOT more then they anticipated when they bought that $15 Easy Off and paint.

22. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I believe Home Depot sells Greased Lightning.

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That makes great sense. As I'm about to go down this road, I'm fortunate to have a couple broken parts and a few spares I bought prior so I have good test pieces. Therefore, used parts are out there and can be bought realivley cheap especially if they are sticky. Grab a couple of those to play with first.

IIRC, to send an entire 355 set would cost approx $3k so for someone that wants to tackle this as a DIY, they have some room for a couple of test parts.

For me, I really never thought I would try this but for my current project it makes the best sense. Plenty of great threads here from guys that have been very successful with this project and it is very inspiring.

24. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Like I said Dave, If you have any trouble doing these parts, I will come down for a drive and help you out. I have done 4 now and Max has done dozens at the shop.

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I appreciate the offer and as I said, you are welcome to come down. I'll let you know if I run into any problems, however, for me - part of the fun is experimenting on the process. Sometimes I like to reinvent the wheel :)