Huracan vs 458 | FerrariChat

Huracan vs 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dr.sb, Nov 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dr.sb

dr.sb Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Sunny B
    #1 dr.sb, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had the pleasure of driving the Huracan today. Such a phenomenal car. And that sound....!

I think it should probably be compared to the 458M/T (whatever it will be called), but for the time being that car is not out, so seems reasonable to compare it to the 458.

Exterior looks: less brash than gallardo and predecessors, which I personally preferred. Still crazy enough and probably the only car that citrus colours look so amazing on. Please see attached image - the mantis verta looks amazing. (personal preference is their special blue - image also attached). They have also just released the glass option for the engine bay with the carbon fibre (£5200 option), which I think will finish off the car in terms of external appearance. Be a shame not to be able to see the V10 heart of this - again probably last NA V10 ever.

Interior - a more special place to be than the gallardo. It has come on leaps and bounds. That audi build quality is definitely visible. Not too many options which I sort of like.

Base price - £185k on the road. My spec £222k (probably would go up to £226k with a few extra touches). My 458 base price £185k my spec £238k. So £10k cheaper - I guess that would be the price of the 7 year servicing then. Huracan comes with 4 year warranty standard. 5th year warranty is extra £3k. No extra warranty option.

Servicing every year or 9000 miles. Rough cost of service £1000 each service.

The drive:

Getting in: alarm disarmed and the door handles pop out of their slot to let you pull on them and enter - as if the butler was ushering you in. Nice touch.

Nice and easy to get into. Doors are of course very wide, but they all are in this range.

Cabin space is brilliant. Much better than the gallardo. Wider shoulder space and further away from the passenger. In the Gallardo it felt the passenger was nearly in the drivers lap (an exaggeration of course, but it feels like the 458 in space).

Love the centre console. Turning on the engine feels like such an event. Then...the sound!! It sounds like a major event too.

Heard plenty of reviews regarding the understeer etc, genuinely I could not feel any on public roads, maybe on a track you could, but I really pushed the car a lot. Where I would have been scared that the 458 would have squirted itself off the road at 80mph, the huracan eased through those corners at 95-100mph. The grip of the 4 wheel drive is sensational. P zeros are the only tyres recommended for this car apparently.

The car I drove had a £6k exhaust option added on which was ridiculously loud (I can not believe I am saying it, but too loud for me on a daily basis, I am sticking with the standard exhaust). The burbles on the over run are to die for. I can not explain, you just have to listen to the car to realise.

So so comfortable even in race mode. Very surprised. Felt as comfortable as the 458 in bumpy mode, but without losing its handling.

Visibility is great from the car. I never tested the sound system, there is no option to add any other sound system, but when you have that sound from the back...The gear changes, i forgot to mention are simply amazing, the kick it gives in race mode is exhilarating.

I really miss being able to drive the R8 and a 4 wheel drive supercar in the snow and ice etc, the 458 most definitely will not cope with it, so what better than a Huracan to correct this :)

Will be keeping the 458, because it is a different car.

Of course there is so much that I have missed from this review, for I am no auto expert nor journalist, but feel free to ask. I ll try answering any questions that I may know the answers to. You guys are probably all a lot more experienced than me. Could not see a comparison when I looked, so I thought I would share.

Thanks

Sunny
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Woppum

Woppum Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    Nice write up but not really fair to be comparing 458 lkat price to this as in the uk discounts on new stock cars is absolutely massive.

3. dr.sb

dr.sb Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Sunny B
    It wasn't the case when I bought. I was in queue for 19 months before getting my 458. The paint I really wanted actually was another £25k on top. The lambo option for the similar paint is £7k which is priced in. If I spec it exactly like for like it would be a £17k difference if in white and staggering £28k difference if in pearl colours. Im not sure regarding discounts on 458 in UK right now, although I am sure that you could probably get £20k off a £238k spec car now seeing that it is being replaced very shortly.

The 458M/T I imagine will only be priced higher than the 458? Just my guess.

4. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I autoX the base huracan and was not impressed. I thought the interior was very Germanic and Audiesque and did not inspire me as much as my Spider. I thought the rear visibility was horrible and believe backup camera is a necessity. I feel the rear design does not flow with the remaining 3/4 of the huracan. All personal opinions of course. As is typical with Lambo, there will be countless iterations and improvements and I look forward to the LP610-2 spider especially if it is hardtop and the 458 successor is turbo.

The exhaust note is fantastic.

5. Woppum

Woppum Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    You could get 20k off a year ago. Stock new cars I have heard are closer to 50 !!!

6. dr.sb

dr.sb Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Sunny B
    Rear view sorted - there is glass panel option now (which I have specced).
    But I have also gone for the rear camera and sensors.

The interior is very Germanic in that it is solid. I know what you mean though and one of the special touches I wanted to add to mine was a piano black/carbon finish to the air vents and centre console - whichever the lamborghini version of taylor made will do (carbon fibre I think they are reserving for future iterations).

Spider is soft top. 3 years away.

7. dr.sb

dr.sb Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Sunny B
    #7 dr.sb, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thats amazing. That makes me feel so happy that I have driven mine 15,000 miles without worrying about depreciation rather than keeping it stored.

Anyway, the people in the price range for the Huracan I imagine will wait for the 458M/T if they have not already made up their minds and that will, I imagine not have discounts at the start and be more expensive than the 458?

I am not comparing stock, because stock has never been the exact spec I want. But even if order a brand new 458, then I will completely believe you if you tell me they will give me £40-50k off, must be tough to shift them right now with the 650S and the Huracan around and the replacement arriving not too far into the future. But even if it is £20k cheaper than the Huracan, I would not say that either car is better per se, they are different. I am just glad I can have both :)

Ps - the gear levers on the lambo feel great to touch and the gear shifts and mind blowing. I would say for smoothness though, the 458 gear changes are better, but for a real neck jerk the huracan takes it.

Best

Sunny

8. Woppum

Woppum Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    The Italia market hd totally dried up. The spiders due to time of year and age have slowed down dramatically. Rumour has it the Speciale has been the saving grace and extension strategy for the car and taken up all the slack. Apparently the factory is close to capacity and may have to start turning people away who are on the waiting list for the speciale now. It really has been that popular. Of course it means there will be many more out there than in plan, but who cares if you never sell ! Last and best n/a mid engined ferrari. Got to be a keeper. Can't wait for mine 😊

9. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    #9 qwertstnbir, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    So it sounds much better than 458 and Gallardo?

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    excellent writeup, thank you!

although I have to say personally I prefer the looks of the Gallardo to the Huracan, but that's just me

11. 911C4S

911C4S Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2011
    i was less than impressed by the huracan. it is a very small car, poor visibility all round - seems the 458's windows being cut in half, resulting in tunnel vision forward and sideways. not to talk about rear view and boot space, the latter is less than half of the 458's. the 458 shines in front visibility - you can place the car precisely on the road by checking the positioning of the front fenders - in the huracan this is totally lost. i was sooooooo happy to get back into my F458 italia after the test drive. the 458 feels like a 'real' car, the huracan like a toy (to me).
    the huracan's engine noise is ok, but IMHO less special than the F458.
    i could not feel any understeer in road driving.
    the huracan looks good in verde mantis and other outrageous colors but i'd tyre very fast of it, particularly the interior -many buttons audi style.
    peter

12. dr.sb

dr.sb Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Sunny B
    Awesome stuff.

Can not wait to see it. Whats your spec like? I am sure I have seen a post regarding this actually?

Best

Sunny

13. dr.sb

dr.sb Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Sunny B
    I thought so. But then again it was the £6k add on exhaust. Which apparently this was the only car in the UK to have so far.

I will be trying out the stock one next week.

Best

Sunny

14. Woppum

Woppum Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010

Hi sunny . Hope it will be ready to pic up next wk end ! It's fiorano with double black stripe and grey wheels. Really can not wait !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. dr.sb

dr.sb Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Sunny B
    Agree that the visibility in front is poorer than the 458. The visibility behind has been much improved now with the glass engine bay cover rather than the standard engine bay cover which has little slits to see through.

Boot space I did not actually see today. I had the R8, I imagine it is similar to that - that was also half as much as the 458. But I would be happy packing light when I'm going on trips in this car :)

I agree, in the total dry, there is no beating the 458's handling. But thats in total dry. Dry a slightly moist road with autumnal leaves etc through country lanes - whole different story in my opinion, but I am certainly not as experienced a driver as most of you on here, I have much to learn, maybe I am not using the 458 to its best ability yet.

The over run sounds on the Huracan to me were very special, better than the 458, but again, I will try stock exhaust next week and report back.

I agree many buttons audi style, but that TFT display and the fighter jet style buttons, lets just say they mask the audi-ness of them and make them feel that much more special.

Regarding its size, I am not sure of the exact proportions, but I imagine it does well to feel so small, I imagine it is similar in size to the 458?

Anyway, like I say - I am glad that I am able to have best of both worlds :)

Best

Sunny

16. dr.sb

dr.sb Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Sunny B
    Amazing! Eager to see it - in pics and on the roads of britain!

:)

Best

Sunny

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! Thank you for the write up and thats a very nice spec you ordered for the Lamborghini. Will you fit snow tires for the winter? I think this car would be a great 4 seasons super car with the snow tires.

18. dr.sb

dr.sb Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Sunny B
    Absolutely snow tyres for the winter. My R8 ploughed through the snow in 2010 in the UK when there was such heavy snow, I imagine this to do the same :)

Great car to have in the stock when the 458 is not an option - for my own safety :)

Glad you like the spec, will be making some tweaks to it. I do love that green on it too, but I just feel that blue is slightly more elegant and less brash - having said that its a lambo so brash is an understatement.

Best

Sunny

19. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Makes sense. That weird louvered window visibility was almost as bad as the Avy:) Keep in mind I'm spoiled with the Spider, rear visibility is a piece of cake with the top down but also in my 911 I never felt like rear visibility was compromised.

Yes, you had an R8 and I had a 911 for many years so you understand what I mean. The Germanic interior is nice but sterile. The Ferrari interior is like an LV handbag. Glad you are individualizing the interior, I drove the base, low optioned model.

3 years for the Spider, well looks like I will be keeping the Spider and daily driving her for awhile.

Look forward to your comparison with the R8. I would consider the R10 Spider but I live in temperate climate year round and don't need AWD and AFAIK Audi is not considering a RWD model, thus 610-2 it is. Come from RWD sports cars, I preferred the handling of the LP550-2.

20. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    Its an ok car, I suppose I would consider it if there was no 458.

A bit pricey imo, most will disagree but the Audi R8 looks sharper and for a lot less money, little less performance.

If you're gonna go lambo go big, Aventador.

21. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I test drove Huracan recently and echo some of the sentiments shared. The driveline and AWD system are excellent. The car is very fast and sounds great. I found the steering too heavy at low speeds but felt just right at pace.

The car suffers in the usability rankings. Ingress and egress are difficult and it felt like a roll of the dice when reversing the car, even with the back-up camera.

For me, the interior was a dissapointment - far too many off the shelf Audi parts for a $250K+ car. There was too much plastic (the reverse lever felt like it was breakable) and i didn't care for the gimmicks (start/stop button) or the video game style dash. The paddle shifters are overdone and don't feel nearly as good as the simpler Ferrari design.

I like the styling a lot but overall the car felt like a sum of the parts more than a single integrated machine.

22. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    For one thing I am glad to see a 5.2L NA engine. There will at least for now be a place to go if you want a V8 and can't take the thought of a TT.

But...the styling, while freshened up, is highly derivative. Frankly we are 40 years past the Star Wars cubist look, and maybe it is time that Lambo took a little risk with their styling.

23. modenaboy

modenaboy Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Gordie
    I loved the car, which actually kind of surprised me (I knew it would be fast, and I think it looks great, but my taste leans to cars that have a different aesthetic). I totally dug the vibe of the interior, even though I am a die-hard analog guy. And the paddles felt great even though every other car with paddles left me thinking “great car, too bad it didn't have a stick”. And wow - that exhaust sound is to die for, and the car was tossable, so alive. Lamborghini is on to something here, very impressive.

24. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I saw a road test somewhere and the journalists were shocked at the speed of the car.
    It ran a 10:45 quarter mile at 135mph!!!!!!!!!
    That's a LOT faster than a Carrera GT

25. dipesh.tank

dipesh.tank Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Hi sunny good write up. Are you ordering a huracan? I get mine in march, my spec is below:

Grigio Lynx exterior (grey)
    MIMAS forged wheels painted BLACK
    Red Callipers
    Glass engine bay
    Bluetooth
    DAB
    Nav
    Fully electric and heated seats
    Front and rear park assist
    Sportivo with Bi-Colour Smooth Leather (RED AND BLACK)
    Inverted stiching (red on black and black on red)
    Alcantara upper zone and headliner
    Branding package
    Floor Mats with Leather Piping and Double Stitching
    Racing/Sports exhaust