Ferrari 0855 Ellena | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 0855 Ellena

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Sep 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I appreciate the thoughts on this - keep them coming as we toss around a plan.

OK another question regarding finishes on the suspension - axle etc.

What is the opinion/acceptance of powdercoat vs paint - say like the axle tubes, center section, , brake drums and backing plates, inner fender shields, gas tank etc?

Tom (Mr Blue or Mr Fountain) , is it not a bit late in the evening to be surfing?

2. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Am I correct that as rightful and current owner Ferrari will send you copies of the build sheets and any other documents they may have. Also What happened to the historical documents from the Ellena/Boano factories.Iam sure Marcel Massini would have some ideas on this. tongascrew

3. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Am I correct that as rightful and current owner Ferrari will send you copies of the build sheets and any other documents they may have? Also What happened to the historical documents from the Ellena/Boano factories.Iam sure Marcel Massini would have some ideas on this. tongascrew

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Not speaking for other vintage models, but the Boano and Ellena records are very sparse. Marcel had some limited info on 0755. Ferrari had next to nothing. Most cars don't even have a recording of the colors. I don't know if original distributors records exist, but Chineti records were not available. Ellena factory records were dumped in the trash when they shut down.

5. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    Ferrari do have the original build sheets for these cars (I was shown the one for my Ellena when I visited Classiche last year). The build sheets show serial numbers of various key components but unfortunately not colours or other customer specified details. I believe the Classiche department will provide a copy of the build sheet for about 500 euro.

David

6. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Graciously, - Bradley Balles gave me a copy of his 0861 build sheet as a ref. Ill contact Classiche and see what they have available? Cars are real close together - so it is a real good reference for my car. That is where I got the FAT 4401

What is the other number stamped on the tag?? VIN or??

7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    The other number is the part number for the filter element itself.

8. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    thank you for the info

9. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #84 enio45, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    anyone know what these parts are to?

obviously they are part of the ellena cadre of parts - but may not be for the car - I don't know

first one have no idea

second one I was thinking of some type of door check strap holder - but I don't know what they used for these cars to keep the doors from flying open
    second one also has the 855 stamped into it - so it goes with the car for sure
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    I'll hazard a guess on the top pic. Appear to be tapered. Maybe they act as bushings/washers against a turning handle. Where the window cranks mount to the door, is the door surface plumb? If not perhaps the cranks mount against these.
    Will be interested to find out what they turn out to be. Thanks for posting the pic and thanks for sharing the project with us!

11. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    The black residue on the rings should give you a clue where they belong. I am guessing they are spacers between the body and the tips of the bumpers.

john

12. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    could be - still trying to fig it out

they have 2 counter sunk holes for them to mount somewhere

do these cars have leather check straps to keep the doors from opening too far??

13. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I am not surprised by what happened to the Boano/Ellena factory records.Two possibilities for colors. There are period color charts available from Pininfarina , Classiche and on the internet.Pick one.Or go through the Barchetta pages for the Ellenas, find a color you like and if possible get in touch with the owner.Finally, just go with black. It's a good color for these cars. tongascrew

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Ed,

Just a thought. I owned 883GT for a few years in the 80s and it ended up as a recreation of a TDF I believe. The car had a mint tan interior and all the brightwork was mint as well. If you could find out who did the recreation (I thought I saw an ad for it in Europe) maybe you can find out where some of those parts went...

Good luck on the project.

Andy

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Andy,

Not to discourage anyone one but I have been there and done that.

What remains isn't/hasn't been for sale

Shawn

16. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #91 enio45, Dec 13, 2014
    Few Updates on the Ellena

1. The mystery parts in the above thread - have been identified.
    the round pieces screw to the body at the wiper arm area - seems to position the wiper motor assembly to the correct angle for the wiper arms
    2. The little angle bracket is believe to be a check strap that mounts to the door to keep the door from opening to far. A leather strap is slipped thru and secured to the kick panel.

Here are a few pics of the bolt sorting process....and the restoration work. Body on the rotsi - starting work on cutting out the rust and rebuild each side of the rockers.

17. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #92 enio45, Dec 13, 2014
  18. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #93 enio45, Dec 13, 2014
    While i was getting the rear section - i bought the front hose section as well - this one looked to be in almost mint condition - no damage, perfect headlamp openings, grill opening etc....so we will evaluate what we want to do on the front end. For now we got some sheet metal work ahead of us - but off to a great start.

19. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Wow nice job

20. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for sharing all of this, Ed. Great pictures and details - can't wait to follow the progress in 2015.

21. ronmg

ronmg Karting

Oct 14, 2009
    Duh Moines
    Full Name:
    Ron Foote
    I love resto threads!! I used to do this for years. Now my health prevents me from getting out in the garage much. I'll be watching. :)

22. jfalco

jfalco Rookie

May 10, 2015
    I owned 0815GT in 1982/83 wonder where it is now. It was a beautiful car. [email protected] I have some pics and history before and a few years after.

23. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Awesome thread!

24. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Hello from the Ellena resto - i have many pics to show the progress of the Ellena resto - BUT before i get to this, i have a question regarding the correct finish on the nuts and bolts for the car.

The short of the story - i sent all the bolts and nuts out for black oxide plating at our local shop here in Phoenix. When i picked them up, he told me that some of the nuts and bolts did not take the black oxide due to the fact that there was believed to be Nickel Plating on some of them. I media cleaned all the bolts so i was a little surprised to find this out.

Some of them are the rear suspension bolts for the leaf spring mounting and the upper and lower stabilizer bars. Also the hollow bolts on the donut did not take the black oxide plating. Once again, not all of them, just some (so maybe we were able to media clean off so called Nickel plating) ....i don't know. Additionally some of the nuts also did not take the plating as well.

So, question is, are they suppose to be nickel or were they painted black or what is the correct restoration color and application?

25. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Did you try to gold platted them?