Bhutan | FerrariChat

Bhutan

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Napolis, Nov 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #1 Napolis, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Nice. Bhutan GNH! :)

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have a few colleagues from next door (sort of) in Nepal & if Bhutan is anything like their pics, it truly is Shangri-La. Safe and enjoyable travels, Mr. Glickenhaus!…T

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Awesome, so awesome. It's on my list to go and have looked many times. Just afraid of the elevation after I've spent most of my life at sea level.

5. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Some 15 years ago I was in Bhutan and during the course of the visit had lunch with a nephew of the King. Turned out the nephew was an auto enthusiast and owned a Ferrari 328 GTS and a Porsche 911 Turbo. Managed to cadge rides in both of them down the main drag (the only drag) in Thimpu. What a hoot! Unless the road net has changed since then, there is nowhere to open up a car like those.

I wonder if you are staying at the hotel with the stuffed bear on display.

Cheers!

6. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Very nice place 😄.

Nirvana , don't forget to go to some of the Temples .

Enjoy your Holiday

7. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    The Land of the Thunder Dragon is like Nepal with trees - friendly people and a different world. Great place to visit if you have the chance. I have been traveling to Nepal and enjoying it for the past 25 years but Bhutan is a different level.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thank you for that. I've been reading up on this tiny landlocked country since the original post. Fascinating people & culture...T

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I was there 2000 & 2001

Don't you feel like you're on STAR TREK & you beamed down to another planet ? :)

Enjoy the Zongs & let us know if you see their mini Yeti :)

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Nepal is rather nasty

Bhutan is gorgeous , like Asian Switzerland

11. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I can see why you might think that - I've spent may years in and out of Kathmandu where I've met some wonderful people but prefer the mountains and the national parks in the Terai. My favourite is Bardiya although the maoists seem to have decimated the tiger population. Last time I was there we saw one female with cubs but also came across quite a few traps which is worrying.

12. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Yes I agree,

Nepal is being manipulated by china and its in a very bad state . Maybe the monarchy can do something

13. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Did you stay at the Queens hotel ? King of Bhutan actually has 3 Queens, think they are all sisters.

Tigers Nest was very cool

On my 2nd trip I took 2 big cans of Lysol & everybody laughed at me 1st week, when they started getting sick & I wasn't they stopped laughing :)

I also took some citronella candles to keep bugs out of the hotel room

14. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They have Ferrari in Bhutan? :)

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm sure the King has whatever he wants

He had a helicopter I heard but the mountain winds are treacherous so he got rid of it

16. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Umm if you read the history, I think you'll find the (modern) monarchy IS the problem! Unbelievably corrupt, not to mention a good smattering of plain ol' nutters. Remember the in-palace murders a few years ago?

17. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Just to clarify a couple of inaccuracies. The old king of Bhutan is married to three sisters not the current King. In Nepal the Monarchy was decimated a few years ago by the Crown Prince who also died at the time. The replacement King is generally disliked and has virtually no influence on anything. His son Paris is one of the most disliked people in the country.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #18 Napolis, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    "Just" SCGs . . .

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    One Ferrari, not owned by K5 who drives an old Toyota, and one road up to the Golden Budda, built by a Gentleman from Singapore that would make a great hill climb but the rest of the roads are more suited for the Boot.

There will be an SCG Sticker on one of The Tour of The Dragon Bikes and I may put a Tour of The Dragon sticker on SCG 003C but that is simply Sportsmen exchanging stickers.

Gathering White Marbles, riding Pregnant Tigresses, following the path. Visions of Hieronymus painted by Monks.

21. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    K5 went to my high school. Don't think the academics were for him...he had to transfer.

22. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I'm not to interested in the race but I'm very interested in riding there so would be up for a riding trip as there should be some interesting routes.

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    PM sent.

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Perhaps Phillips Andover wasn't for him but none the less he did manage to graduate from Magdalen College in Oxford which has been top of the Norrington Table twice, in 2010 and 2012 when over half its finalists achieved firsts in 2010, it claimed the record for the highest ever Norrington Score.

25. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Yes they are corrupt I agree and I am friends with one of them( Royal Family ) who used to reside in Singapore :) I know too well about Nepal and how china tries to corrupt .

The Maoist are the ones that are creating lots of trouble and the people are looking at the monarchy for help . Anyway, it's a beautiful country plaqued by corruption and greed , that I agree.

Innocents always suffer .