MAG dealer in Columbus | FerrariChat

MAG dealer in Columbus

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bradwilliams, Nov 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Anybody have any dealings with these guys? Was not very impressed with the sales staff. Went in there to look at buying the high mileage TR that they had in there that was overpriced by about 5k. I called in a week ahead of time to let them know I would be there. When I got there all I got from the sales staff was the following:

One of the reps greeted me, took me to the back office, pulled out the folder on the service history and then pretty much left the room and went back to helping the people he was working with when I got there. This wouldn't have bothered me if he would have put somebody else on me to help out. Then, when I was done with the records, I asked to be taken out in the car, not even to drive, just to ride in and make sure there were no lights, issues etc. He forced me to make an offer, which I did and was a very reasonable one. They said no, and that was pretty much it. They knew I had driven 4 hours to get there, and was there ready to spend 45-46k for it, which was what it was worth at the time. (Car had 50k miles on it and a cracked windshield). So in sum, they threw me in a room, told me no guarantees on a car this old, left, and then said no to the drive and the price and left the room again. Guy must have given me a total of about 2 minutes of face time. Spent more time with the General manager, who was a nice guy, than I did with him. Definitely not going to go there again.

2. TC94

TC94 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2005
    TN
    I've tried to buy from them twice. Won't give me the time of day. First time they wouldn't even talk to me. They didn't return 3 phone calls over two weeks. Bought a used 360 from Foreign Cars Italia instead. Great dealership. Second time went in asked to talk to someone about trading my 360 on a new 458. Manager turned me over to someone who had been there 3 days. I told him why I was there, and he walked me down the hall and said "here are all the Ferraris we have in stock." There wasn't a Ferrari in the room. Few Lambos, an Audi R8, a 911 of some type, and maybe a Lotus, but NO Ferraris.

Walked out and got in contact with Ferrari of Atlanta, whom I had visited out of the blue several months earlier. Sold my 360 there on consignment while I waited 11 months for my new 458.

Also visited them about an Audi A/S8. Salesman was completely clueless. Bought a MB S550 locally instead.

I won't visit them again for anything. I ship my cars for service to avoid them, despite the extra cost and hassle.

Conversely Ferrari of Atlanta has been spectacular to deal with, and I was pretty happy with Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro, NC.

My advice: find what you want somewhere else. Plenty of cars and better dealers out there.

3. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    What is a MAG dealer?

4. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    They do not have a good reputation in Central Ohio.

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    My experience, I have posted before. My first car, Maserati. They lost the key and made me pay $3,500 for one or tow it out. Charged for five shocks! Laughed at me when I caught them. That was the first and only time. I had never been treated like that

6. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    MAG - Midwest Auto Group, which is the local Ferrari dealer in Columbus, Ohio

7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Geez, this place can't even buy a good review LOL.

8. Taco

Taco Rookie

Oct 6, 2014
    Ohio
    More of the same for me. I live 15 minutes away and don't even like looking at the place when i drive by. Wanted to look at an Aston once and couldn't even get someones attention to ask to see it. Bought a maserati in Cincinnati instead. Also went to look at a 2010 458, car wasn't there when i stopped in so they told me they would call...never heard back. Went to Foreign Cars Italia for that purchase.

Service is a joke too. They tried to charge me $1200 for oil change and brake flush on the Maserati ...I couldn't believe they were serious. Lots of other options locally to have to deal with that crap

I've bought a couple land rovers from them and thats not too bad, thats a separate building but still I felt awful about myself the entire time.

Hate that place. The owners seem like good enough people when seen on TV but the staff has never made me feel like it matters to them if I'm happy or not. I could go on and on.

9. jj2728

jj2728 Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Ontario
    My word, how times have changed. Without going into too much detail, I worked there during the late 80s early 90s and it was never like that.

10. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    FWIW I had my 360 spider there for PPI and major service. They did a good job, competitive pricing and everyone was extremely helpful.

11. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I had my PPI done at MAG Ferrari, they let me stay in the garage the entire time it was going through the inspection, they gave me some very sound advice. So, on the service side, I was satisfied with them. That said, I take my 360 to an independent shop in Columbus instead of the dealer.

I once bought a new Audi A8 from them, and they were nice enough to deal with. I've never purchased an Exotic car from MAG. But, I would give them a shot since they're close to me.

Sorry to hear about the negative experiences.

12. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari North America pushes them to sell the franchise in the near future. A dealer principle in Cleveland, OH who has a pretty damn good reputation in the USA, put a very aggressive proposal to Ferrari for a franchise. The design of the proposed dealership was a real game changer, not your typical box with glass. This Cleveland proposal all went down when Ferrari was going through internal political infighting prior to Sergio Marchionne taking over. If I could predict one Ferrari franchise going down, MAG would be it and don't be surprised for a second if small market Cleveland Ohio gets it.

13. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Nothing but bad news from MAG. Avoid

14. milligan740

milligan740 Karting

Apr 4, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Someone should compile a book of negative MAG stories and make a coffee table book. Maybe that will be my winter project.

15. milligan740

milligan740 Karting

Apr 4, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It astounds me that Lambo hasn't pulled their franchise yet. They sell so few cars and the local Lambo owners ship cars out of state to avoid them for service, etc. I think if anyone real wanted to take over, Lamborghini would have to consider it.

16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Maserati HAD BEEN OPEN TWO YEARS WHEN I SENT MY 02 car there for a set of keys. they had to order the software from Italy. all got done. the service people were in contact all the time. they quoted the job and that was the bill. very nice to deal with.

17. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    The first Ferrari that I drove was at MAG. Back in the mid 90s they had a used 308 that I was interested in. The salesman gave me the keys and told me and my wife to take it for a drive. I didn't buy it but they seemed ok back then.