Malaysia Airlines loses contact with B777-200 enroute from KUL to PEK | Page 36 | FerrariChat

Malaysia Airlines loses contact with B777-200 enroute from KUL to PEK

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Peloton25, Mar 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Crypto people like to say so because they're advocating for a better approach - security by design. However, it's quite a stretch to say it "never, ever works."

The hatch thing is sufficiently well-known that it may not matter. But if I discovered a real zero-day exploit for an airliner, I'd raise a stink with the manufacturer or the FAA. I wouldn't publicize it on YouTube and absolve myself of responsibility in the name of opposing security by obscurity. There are 1,200 Boeing 777s flying around right now and they're going to take time to fix.

2. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Quite a few bad guys are dummies. Richard Reid was a dummy.

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
  4. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    #880 Far Out, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    That seems seriously whacky to me, and their claims about misleadingly cropped pictures where the original one linked simply isn't cropped or their reference links pointing to nowhere doesn't help their cause.

However, one thing really is strange:

EDIT: Just read that Malaysia Airlines modified their planes some time ago and the interior configuration was changed. MH17 flew with the closed window, no mystery at all.

1) A picture of the wreckage from AFP/Getty via Telegraph. Notice the closed window opening next to the door.
    MH17: families donate DNA samples to help identification - Telegraph
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2) Various pictures of the plane 9M-MRD alias MH17 can be seen on this Wikipedia page, one of them below. Notice there is a glass window next to the door below the flag.

3) Various pictures of 9M-MRO alias MH370 which went missing: Category:9M-MRO (aircraft) - Wikimedia Commons Again one of them below... and the window opening next to the door below the flag is closed.

Question to the aviation buffs: Is opening/closing windows with aluminium something normal during the operational life of an airplane? Or is there something with the registration numbers which leads to false conclusions? Otherwise, it would really be bizarre.

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Did you not read this? http://elitedaily.com/news/world/mh17-mh370/679316/

Russia is promoting this wild theory to try to cover up the fact they shot down a civilian plane. Evidently, their citizens believe it, but no one with a free press should. Think about how many people would have to be in on the supposed CIA plot to make this work. Impossible. You think all the HIV researchers headed for the conference in Australia allowed themselves to be killed or disappear to promote a CIA attempt to discredit Russia?

It will be easy enough to verify via DNA testing of the corpses.

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    No, i missed that. I understand what are you saying.

You're right.

7. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Well, no arguing with you there...

9. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Really? Which ones (do not have backups and have controls that freeze)?

11. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Just to be clear, no 1980's + modern day single engine military jets that I'm aware of have this problem other than aeronautically unstable designs that have no direct linkage backups like the B-2 bomber for example.

Early Mig21's with single hydraulic systems had this problem.
    And I believe I read years ago that the Czech Delfin trainers had this problem although I can't confirm it. Some of those older trainers are used privately as hot rods in the X (experimental) category.
    Others like the X-15 also, but that was a pretty exotic design.

Fortunately it is uncommon. Most designs incorporate a ram air turbine as last resort to pressurize the hydraulic system if there is no direct mechanical backup.

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    F-86, I believe. It has a wobble pump that you can use to get a few stick movements without the engine, the idea being to get it upright so you can eject.

13. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    I'm no expert on really old single engined jet fighters. But...

F-86, generally no. They did SFOs (simulated flame-out) all the time. No point in practicing those if there's no control when the engine $h!ts the bed.

MiG 15 maybe...they all spun into the ground when their engines were shot.

MiG 21 not that I've ever heard of.

X-15, not a jet, and most of the recovery was done unpowered, right? It seemed to fly exceptionally well with the rocket motor off.

I'm sure there are some valid examples where single engine planes were (stupidly) designed such that they were not controllable after engine failure, but probably not any that had any meaningful service history...just makes no sense whatsoever. The vast majority (of US fighters at least) if not all, had some backup to the control systems. Russki and Chinese stuff...maybe not. Accumulators are used in aircraft that have no RATs and fly by wire systems run off batteries.

Ciao!

14. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

MH 370 was apparently seen flying into some kind of vortex, so it is in fact possible that it emerged as MH 17 and that they are actually one in the same...or fused together, perhaps only slightly out of phase, with one being indistinguishable from the other? Physicists, discuss amongst yourselves.

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Yeah. See the Star Trek Next Generation episode "Yesterday's Enterprise".
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Yesterday's_Enterprise_(episode)
    This current conflict between Russia and Ukraine really isn't supposed to have happened. We are living in an alternate timeline due to the temporal rift caused by MH 370. Notice how all the bad stuff happening today started after MH 370 disappeared?!

16. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    That's what I keep telling people, but they just look at me like I'm a kook!

Ciao!

17. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
  18. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know if we ever learn the truth...and for some people this is frustrating.

19. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The second phase of the search was resumed.

Australian report says that the plane ran out of fuel and spiraled into the ocean.

They think they have a better idea of 'where'.

20. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I honestly figured they would give up.
    What's the probability they discover the cause even if they recover the plane?

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It will tell them a lot. If it is at the limit of its range and the motors were not running at time of impact we can assume running out of fuel is the how. Finding the CVR and the FDR will fill in enough that some pretty specific educated guesses can be made. If it turns out there were no mechanical issues, it ran out of fuel and seemed to be under human control we will know as much as when any crazy person kills and takes himself out in the process.

22. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Having watched the referenced TNG episode on Netflix within the past year, I love this theory.

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I don't know about that. I have a great flight sim that revolves around a Russian invasion of the Crimea Peninsula and the ensuing war.

Seems many have considered it a real possibility for some time.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So whats the latest with the search? Anybody here of anything on the inside?, pilot talk etc..