308 Euro Exhaust Tips | FerrariChat

308 Euro Exhaust Tips

Discussion in '308/328' started by FLVICE, Nov 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #1 FLVICE, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I need some help from the Fchat 308 members in locating a part and maybe some suggestions.

I noticed yesterday while detailing my 308 that the left exhaust tip was loose and upon closer inspection I noticed that there was a crack in the metal that connects the exhaust tips to the muffler. It appeared that it could be fixed by perhaps welding the crack.

I drove to a muffler shop today to get an opinion on the repair and when I arrived I observed that the tip had fallen off. I was unable to locate it despite backtracking my course.

I looked at several internet sources to see if this part is available. I had no luck.

Does anyone know of a source or offer a suggestion for a fix?

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I'm no exhaust expert, but if finding a true replacement becomes difficult, have a good exhaust shop replicate the remaing original tip TWICE so each side gets replaced with good copies. Then just hang on to the remaining original until you come across a replacement. That tip is no technical marvel, and should be relatively easy for a decent muffler guy to copy with hi fidelity. I had a dual tip made for my P Car, completely custom, and way more intricate than yours, for under $100.

Ciao!

Hannibal

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Another option would be to replace the entire exhaust especially if it's starting to rust. There are lots of options available both new and used.

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    If I "understand" the picture correctly, you lost not only the tip (chromed part), but also most the metal tube to which it is attached and goes out from the muffler?
    I don't think that that part is available as a replacement part by itself, it is an extension from the muffler as it is welded onto it and cannot be replaced by a factory part. The four chromed tips, yes, but not that tube.

Rgds

5. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Here are the ones I used and they are available at Summit called Heddman tips:

[​IMG]

6. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thanks for the replies. .. correct on the fact thst the tube connecting to the muffler snapped off.. so a replacement part would have to be welded to the muffler via a metal tube... I noted that that part seems not to be available without replacing the entire muffler. Im leaving the entire replacement as my last option since the rest of the muffler appears to be in decent condition. Right now my hope is to find a damaged.. rusted out.. muffler with a good condition tube and tips to perhaps have welded back on.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #7 nerofer, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Your car seems to be "Euro", so I would tend to say that you do find second hand Euro mufflers indeed from time to time on Ebay UK or Germany; prices vary a lot but some are rather cheap; but the problem with that thing is shipping, as it weighs a ton (well actually about 40/45 lbs)...
    How is the other side? Is the outlet tube still sound? If not, it would perhaps be better to think about a muffler replacement...

Rgds

Just as an example (no interest whatsover in the add...)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-328-Exhaust-Backbox-/161471202430?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25986f047e#ht_139wt_1190

8. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You have a perfect template. I would get the entire exhaust system fabricated (unless the rest is somehow in great condition). The cost for this sort of work is surprisingly reasonable, at least in the UK.

9. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have a spare Euro muffler in my attic...not sure what they are going for these days however, but I have one if that becomes the path you want to use.

10. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    The muffler actually sounds fine even with the missing tip and the other side looks sound.. the link you posted seems to be from a 328... are those 328 systems (Euro) similar or interchangeable to the 308 QV... or perhaps just looking to cut off the tip mount with the pipe that I eed.

11. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thanks... if I cant find the identical part, this is an option that I will look into.

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I think the 308 QV and 328 exhaust box are in fact the same on EURO cars...I'm not 100% sure, but 98%...

Rgds

13. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I may be interested, but wondering.. my Ferrari Mechanic told me long ago that my muffler looks like it was cut in half and then rewelded. He stated possibly when the car was federalized perhaps some type of emissions control equipment was installed... He told me if he ever ran into a euro muffler that was unmessed with he would let me know.

Anyone have any idea what this modification could be?

I may be interested in your spare if unmessed with and in good condition as a complete replacement.

Thanks

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Look at post #7 at the bottom of the link hereunder: yours truly has posted a pic of the innards of a 328 muffler (unmolested except for the cut of its shell, unmodified)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/424176-exhaust-difference.html

You will see that there are some voids inside, leaving place for additionnal "soundproofing equipment" as glass wool or other "filters" of any nature and technology...or whatever...

Rgds