Here's a pic of me pulling the engine out of my 612 yesterday! | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Here's a pic of me pulling the engine out of my 612 yesterday!

Discussion in '612/599' started by trygve11, Jul 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Maybe I do things wrong, but all I do, to tighten the cam sprocket, put the belt on, set your timing, tension the belt, then I have an assistant hold the crank while I torque the sprocket. Rotate the engine around a few times, check your timing etc. Never ever failed to work, nor ever had a problem. Trying to tighten that sprocket without a belt on it, or some kind of holder is indeed asking for trouble.

Sorry about your luck. I'm sure you will fix it and have a beautiful car to drive. Enjoy!!

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well Howie your method works if you have an assistant and if the belts can take the torque. Great to know they can. I'm not a trained mechanic so errr on my idea of caution keeping force off the belt. Your method is faster and safer since you can't make a mistake leaving a cover in a cap if there was never one in there in the first place.

3. SWBTom

SWBTom Rookie

May 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tom Bryant
    Great thread. I'll be following along to the end result.

Tom

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL!

Chris, can you please tell me the serial number of your 599? I believe it's the only one of your Ferraris not properly documented in my database. Thank you.

5. flxzcat

flxzcat Karting

Sep 16, 2008
    lake forest, ca.
    Full Name:
    paul van der linden
    Using the match book cover method couldn't that permanently distort the caps?

Or am I misunderstanding the technique?

Cheers, Paul

6. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I like the idea of the razor blade cover material. That way I can slit my wrists will all the razor blades if I F-this up a second time! But seriously, I intend to use this method.

I don't like the T-belt in place method though that is what I used for the 7-12 cylinder bank (which turned out fine). The problem I had on the (right hand) 1-6 cylinder bank is that I had to pull the tensioner off to rebuild it and didn't have a belt on at the time I did the final torque of the cam wheels. That was my mistake. I tried putting a clamp between the two cam wheels but it didn't hold when I hit the bolt with the impact.

I will have the head off tomorrow. My valves, gaskets and other parts (including my new 599 Challenge rims!) are arriving this week from Europe. I plan to have the head ready for re-installation for Thanksgiving weekend.

7. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    #307 trygve11, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, head pulled successfully today. As expected, two bent exhaust valves on cylinder #6. Way bent! And little kiss marks on the piston (but surface level only, no indentation, just two bright crescents into the otherwise matt perimeter area).

So, off the the machine shop to have the two exhaust valves installed and then a much more careful approach to tightening the cam wheels.

Funny I've never screwed up a timing belt install until now. Got rushed and stuck with no help at the time. That'll learn me!

And head gasket still looks like new but I guess I've got to throw a new $200 gasket on. Ughh!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    What a great spirit - sure your Scal will be so much closer to your hard when its up and running than a "just bought" Ferrari! Had similar experience with some of the bikes I build up from scratch when I was young(er).

All the best from Europe,
    Stefan

9. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Thanks Stefan!

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hang in there. That is a pretty small mistake considering how much you tackled. Did not think it would take you long to remedy and everything is easier the second time around. Especially so since you did not have to pull the engine again. There is a locking tool for locking the crank, but the WSMs just show ViceGrips for holding the cams in place.

11. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Jason,

While your intake is off, you may want to get the new 612 hose kit from Scuderia Rampante.

This is a brand new kit to deal with the rubber 180 hose failure.

Cheers,
    Shiv

12. Matt74

Matt74 Karting

Oct 23, 2014
    South of France
    Oh my, Huge & total respect to you.
    This is the best thread. Ever.

13. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    #313 trygve11, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    OK, I looked at your prioe forum thread on this but couldn't find any non-OEM alternatives. So, for now I've added the OEM part to my upcoming order. Thanks Shiv.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave and crew at Scuderia Rampante Innovations were just putting the finishing touches on that pipe to replace the hose last time I heard. Probably worth a call.

15. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #315 m5shiv, Nov 16, 2014
  16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks a lot sturdier than the 180 deg bend in the rubber hose.

17. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Does anyone know if they are coming out with a similar kit for the 599?

18. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I haven't seen the 599 motor close up..but I had a very close look at the F12...there are no more rubber hoses in the valley. The new design is very clean in this regard.

I'm sure Taz will fill us in.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #319 tazandjan, Nov 16, 2014
  20. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    OK, parts are in! Head has been repaired and is ready for install tomorrow!

Also, my 599 Challenge rims arrived and I've ordered my Michelin PSS tires.

Stay tuned for updates over the next few days!

21. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Hope all goes well!

22. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    If you ever think you are having a lot of bad "car luck", well welcome to my world...

I put the "repaired" head in today. And then did a leak down before moving too far past just flat head install. Well, turns out my intake valves must be bad (not just my exhaust) on cylinder #6.

So, head comes back off tomorrow and goes back to machine shop. I wish the guy would actually do his job right and check the whole head and not just the valves that had an obvious bend.

So... another $500 investment coming and a few more days wasted...

Ugh!

23. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sorry man.

24. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Yeah, it must be starting to sound like I don't know what the hell I am doing...

But... in actuality, I learning some good lessons in inspection and patience. Stupid of me to expect that the machine shop would have checked the head for vacuum, right?! I should have sprayed fluid into the ports to see if any flowed through, etc. before putting the head back on.

Well, whatever doesn't kill you (or make you completely crazy), makes you stronger. This timing mistake has obviously cost me a lot of time and about a grand, but at the end of the day the car will be solid... by this Spring!

So, will attempt again in two weeks.

- Jason

25. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    and another headgasket? sorry to hear!