cold start exhaust | FerrariChat

cold start exhaust

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mondial85, Nov 19, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    I have not driven my mondial in about 3 months, but I have it started once a week and let it run for about 10 min. For a while now, a great deal of normal (not black) exhaust comes out of the 2 left exhaust pipes only. It comes out for about 3 min but once the motor is hot the exhaust goes away and everything seems fine. Whats going on? Why is the exhaust only coming out on the left side? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance.

2. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    this has been discussed before on the old board - it has to do with the design on muffler. I forget the specifics, anyway drive that car more and don't just start it up and let it sit, you need to get the rpms up so that any water in the exhust is forced out, otherwise it will rust out

here is one thread

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/115184.html

3. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
  4. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Drive it at least 25 minutes if you're going to let it sit and only start it once in a while. You're doing more damage in 10 minutes than if you never started/drove for four months.

I've let cars sit for four months before with no ill effects.

Water and combustion acids/ by-products are building up in your oil and exhaust system. Everything must get hot-hot for at least 20+ minutes to burn this stuff off, out of the oil and exhaust.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

Search for more storage tips.

5. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    OK, thanks everyone. Im more than happy to learn that this is normal. Also, I will take it out and drive it soon. Im in college and I left my ferrari at home so I have to rely on my parents to start it. I have it lifted so the tires are off the floor so it takes a while to lower it and drive it. Thanks again.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    RE:
    Sorry, but that's another NO-NO for a couple of reasons.

1) This leaves the suspension dangling down. Result is a couple of
    well known problems:
    a)The Konis can lock in the down position if a bit of rubber breaks
    loose internally & jams the wrong hole in the internal valving.
    b)It exposes the KONI's shafts to dust and humidity which can
    shorten their life
    c)It puts maximum stress on the A-Arm bushings while suspended &
    that rubber's pretty old and can break or take a set.

2) It's not necessary w/Modern radial tires. Just over-inflate the tires to 45-50 PSI & they won't take a permanant flat spot like the old bias ply tires would.

Helpfully,
    Verell

7. CarlH

CarlH Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Carl H.
    Fairly new owner of 308 QV. I noticed the lower exhuast pressure on the driver side pipes, along with significant vapor on cold start. Ran exhaust through white cloth to check for antifreeze residue....no green....thats good. Stood in front of the exhuast scratching my head and other parts until I got woozy. Time to check Ferrarichat. The posts you guys provided eased my concerns. Do not need new head gaskets......just some new undershirts on account of the aformentioned white cloth exhaust trick, and maybe matching shorts after reading the price of gasket sets....$1200 - ouch.
    Thanks!