Stradale or Scuderia | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Stradale or Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by daviday, Nov 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I think your question answers itself. Since the Scud is obviously the faster car (20% more HP and an eDiff sorta matter) then it should be more cash if all that mattered was track performance? Obviously other stuff matters in the ownership decision on these cars...

Another way of illuminating this is to say that as an owner of a CS I could afford either (as *any* owner of a CS or Scud could do since, as you pointed out, they cost "almost the same"). I've driven scuds plenty and love the car, but simply prefer my CS and haven't traded it for a Scud despite shopping scuds for a few years back. And I may never trade the CS for a SCud despite loving the scud (because they are too similar for me to own both with my limited resources and garage space). Others have gone from one to the other and been happier. Some have gone from one to the other and been less happy. Some only talk about them and never buy one. Anyways...obviously "other stuff" beyond track times matters or all performance drivers would own the most performance for the buck and get a vette or GTR or whatever.

2. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    OK, but if we just say our personal opinion about what do we prefer, then this thread is pointless, correct? Am I mistaken, or the CS costs about the same as the Scud only because ot is more rare?

Because if that's the case, then it is a rare car, but nothing more, compared to the Scud.

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Fair point, but this topic has been beaten, burned, grinded up, put back together, re-beaten and the horse is only a distant memory at this point. There are myriad reasons - and yes they do vary for each individual - and they have been covered in countless similarly titled threads over the years.

Re rarity, I suspect that is "part" of it. The other things have been pointed out here and in prior threads. Finally, fwiw, I "think" scud prices are starting to perhaps adjust upwards as it appears that supply of red low mileage ones is getting lower...same thing happened to CS about 3 years ago, so perhaps scuds will retain their price premium. That said, who cares! If you can afford one, get one. Either one. Drive it, enjoy it. Then, if you want to experience the other one, sell yours and get the other one. Simple.

4. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I'm just trying to point out that there are other factors besides "being faster" that contributes to being judged "better". All your words.
    if your statement is true, then all the cars I mentioned should not be worth very much. Since they are worth quite a lot, your statement isn't.

5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #80 freshmeat, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    I included a link in my original reply but here it is again:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiorano_Circuit

There's nothing disrespectful from my end, unless you are referring to the dispelling of misinformation as disrespectful aka calling out something that is wrong as disrespectful then I'm guilty. And I repeat, there is NO SHOT IN HELL that in equal hands that a CS will be as fast as a Scuderia in a straight or on a circuit.

JUST LET IT GO ALREADY....

Lets do this, I'm down to meet you at the circuit of ur choosing. PM me details.

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am so IN.

PM sent.

7. rpmtifosi

rpmtifosi Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Guy
    Dude, we all know that, but that's not the point!
    You should re-read this thread from the beginning ;)

8. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    A few too many pretentious ferrari egos in here LOL.

I think the CS is wife material, you plan on staying with her for the LONG term... The SCUD is just a hot piece of ass that you don't give two craps about.. I can see them being replaced by the next top model that comes along (i.e. Speciale)

i dunno.. Let's CALL it to a vote....start a poll. If you could have only 1 (CS or SCUD) which one you would want.. I'm pretty confident the CS would win after reading numerous threads on the topic... but I could be wrong haha

9. giago

giago Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Giago
    I agree with supratime.
    I own both and I dont plant to get rid of any of them anytime.
    But if I had to choose only one it would be the CS by far.
    I have been thinking of even buying another one.

10. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    +1

11. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    scud is great car which i thoroughly enjoyed. it is superior in every measurable way to the cs. but in charisma the cs wins hands down and that is why i have a cs now not a scud. have no doubt that the speciale renders the scud a classic car. but will still stick with cs. destined to be old man with old cars

12. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #87 MaranelloDave, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Well, you really want to go after me, don't you? Let me address your questions one by one.

I experience the performance of my scud in the twisties of the North Georgia mountains and the track. And, funny you ask, yes, I will spend this weekend at Road Atlanta in my scud. On the back straight, I get the car up to 150+ mph. And no, a pro driver could not beat me around that track in a Prius if I'm in the scud.

About the Corvette, I was making a joke. As for the decision between the two, I prefer the driver experience of the Ferrari, which, as I said, includes its performance. And I did buy the scud in part because of its performance. Not sure why you think you know why I bought the car.

Finally, why can't I compare the Scud to a CS? FWIW, if you read my comments from this thread, I haven't said anything negative about the CS. So, if these attacks on me are because you feel defensive about attacks on the CS, your attacks are misguided.

13. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I think everybody is missing the point in this thread. When you say a "better" car you have to be more specific. Better car in terms of what? collectibility? performance? looks? reliability? technologically? mechanically? and the list goes on and on.... We are not comparing two cars that were made at the same time period with the same body. They are two different cars in any aspect. I think it comes down to a personal preference. Depending on which aspect you believe is a "better" car for you then you choose based on that. For instance, someone might think that the CS is a better car in terms of collectibility. If thats what matters to that person, then he should go with the CS. I personally preffer to have a little bit of everything. That's why I bought a scuderia. My two cents.

14. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    IMO we don't compare "two different cars in any aspect", I would say the opposite is the case: the chassis is more or less the same, the interior is more or less the same, the design is more or less the same (430 looks like a M Version of the 360 and is, of course, at the end a question of personal taste), the sound is more or less the same, the sharp and direct driving feeling is more or less the same. What is effective different: the Scud engine is a brand new development with significantly more displacement and significantly more torque and power, the F1 gearbox is absolute superior and the Schumi-button is also unique.

So, why should I buy a CS when I can buy a CS "Modificata" named Scuderia with superior performance figures?

15. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    Aesthetics and sound. Same reasons I would choose a 275 GTB quad cam or the 275 NART spider over most any car (winning lottery ticket where are you?). But this is all subjective.

16. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    I forgot now after reading through this thread, but I think this is the type of response I was looking for. Not necessarily the owner arguments regarding resale prices - but the current perception of the two, more as to how feelings of other enthusiasts would effect a purchase.

Let's face it. They're numbered. 20 years down the line they're still gonna be numbered. Will either be any less valuable?

17. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    One of the greatest compliments for the CS is that this Cs vs. Scud debate even exists. For sure the cars will always each be coveted but to have a real discussion about the older model being preferred (by many) to the newer model is a huge reflection on what a great car the CS is.

I'm trying to think of other manufacturer model transitions where similar debates occur and where market values of the older and newer cars are comparable (supporting the notion of desirability as opposed to the personal preferences of a small population). I think that examples of this are few and far between. A couple that come to mind are the Porsche 993 vs. 996 (especially for the turbos) and perhaps the BMW M3 E30 vs. E36.

18. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Scuds in the UK all of a sudden breaching $300,000, catch up time ?

19. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    The Porsche 997 GT3 versus the much more technically advanced 991 GT3 is another example that is interesting and following the CS versus Scud scenario.

When the 997 GT3 came out it was almost impossible to attain. Fast forward to today well actually earlier this year when the 991 GT3 came out. The 991 GT3 is very easy to attain from an availability perspective, they are very pricey though.

Try and find a 997 GT3, if you find one look at the price they are asking, low mileage ones are asking very close to their original MSRP.

I think you are on to something... :)

20. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Yes, this 997 v 991 GT3 transition could be another example. There are a couple of other factors influencing that comparison, including the 991 GT3 engine recall/swap and the discontinuation of the manual gearbox. Both have cast a bit of a pall over the 991 GT3 launch. I drove one of the 991 GT3s on the track and it was awesome - the gearbox and rear wheel steering are killer. That said, the stick shift element will keep the 997.1 and .2 Gt3 cars in high demand - and the 4.0s even more so.

21. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Two great cars in their own generation.

The great thing about the Scud is you can still destroy most things you will encounter on the track.

Can't go wrong with either.

TRACK FIGHT!
    TRACK FIGHT!
    TRACK FIGHT!

sorry...not really.

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Difference is that the Scud transmission is much better than the CS, and there is no manual involved so...not sure that is exactly apples to apples.

23. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree!

Some people are collecting/speculating, others driving, some rounding out collections. Either way, I think the CS appeals to all those categories which shows it's a great driver and has perceived importance.

24. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You feel you're being attacked? I thought it was a legit convo or at best a debate. That's the title of the thread after all.

My only point is is if "Performance" is such a big deal, it shouldn't be limited to CS v. SCUD. If performance is such a big deal, why don't you get an Ariel Atom or some other performance machine? I just think that picking any one street car over another based on "performance" is silly. You're gonna get a ticket.

25. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh, you weren't attacking me? My mistake. For some reason I thought you were talking sh#t about how I don't have any driving skill and how a pro driver can outdrive me in a Prius.

Not sure why you think the discussion shouldn't be limited to the CS and the scud. The title of the thread is "Stradale or Scuderia." Pretty clear that these are the two cars being discussed. As for an Ariel Atom, I'd love to have one for the track. Not very practical for the road though since you need to wear a helmet. Also difficult to title them for the road. Regardless, I don't know what the Atom has to do with this thread either.

If you don't care about the performance of your street car, that's fine. That's your opinion. To most here, however, performance is important. In fact, I can't imagine anyone wanting a Ferrari if not at least in part for its performance. What's the point in owning a slow Ferrari, impressing people with the badge? Makes no sense to me.